What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Continuation of the first thread which covered beta 1 through 3.

Jan 25th: Beta 5 is now available. Changes since Beta 4:
Code:
3790c8fe9a Updated documentation
fd1cb1eacd dnsmasq: update to 2.84 final
6ecc2e1df5 dnsmasq: update to 2.84test3 (openssl/2.84test3-40-gee342e7)
7328ccf7d8 dnsmasq: update to 2.84test3 (openssl/2.84test3-36-g5790ea0)
2585ca7b3d wsdd2: Also bind to specific interface when listening to SSDP address
fa6b3b0502 wsdd2: identify as ASUSWRT WSD rather than NETGEAR WSD
e0b64349d2 Merge 386_41700 binary blobs + SDK for RT-AX58U
96010951e0 Merge 386_41700 binary blobs and SDK for RT-AX56U
c43ea32f3d Merge 386_41700 binary blobs and SDK for RT-AX86U
4f37b74bfb Merge 386_41700 binary blobs + SDK for GT-AC2900
2900dc0d46 Merge 386_41700 binary blobs + SDK for RT-AX88U
a679101f9c asd: re-enable on all models
06182cb7e7 Merge 386_41700 binary blobs + SDK for RT-AC86U
5e9564e6bf Merge 386_41700 binary blobs for RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100/RT-AC5300
5512e8a4d4 build: add cleanup section to copy-prebuilt
eee7484d6f Merge GPL + binary blobs from 386_41700 (RT-AC68U)
10aff689a1 Bumped revision to beta 5
72b2a94f58 SDK 5.02p1: cleanup SDK
12bf0ba323 SDK 5.02p1: fix pwrmngtd module building
a5ea4eb7de axhnd: cleanup SDK from build leftovers
603b0b45bc rc: replace missing include with publicly obtained defines
83eeea819d libovpn: correct error message when trying to start already running server
82ab0809b6 rc: don't use prebuilt init-broadcom
6d4d79b48a SDK 4908: revert bdmf.o to 386_40577 version

Beta 4 is now available. Changes since Beta 3:

Code:
6adb157bea asd: disable asd on all models
95025b94e8 Remove Codel scheduler from all kernels
b442b0b5d4 build: move RT-AX86U addvtoken to its own directory
0c12c1a7cf Merge 386_41535 binary blobs for RT-AX86U
f6ef91f31b Merge 386_41535 SDK for RT-AX86U
59789ea24a Updated documentation
db54f3995c build: copy addvtoken to model folder for RT-AX88U
3853b491e8 Merge 386_41535 binary blobs for GT-AC2900
68d1059d39 Merge 386_41535 SDK + binary blobs for RT-AX56U/RT-AX58U
4c7ba10c62 Merge 386_41535 binary blobs for RT-AX88U
133e15c36e Merge 386_41535 binary blobs for RT-AC86U
6bb1ca7420 Merge 386_41535 binary blobs for RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100/RT-AC5300
1f940c33fb Merge 386_41535 binary blobs for RT-AC68U
f32e73d911 Merge with GPL 386_41535
51a23b3b4b webui: do not rely on bridge stats to calculate traffic scale
8b252526f0 rc: do not skip new firmware checks on AX56/AX58 within region CX
cdac832ddc rc: remove outdated source file
9bbb8c59bd libovpn: enable multihome for UDP servers
38d0b385e7 github: enforce the use of an issue template
5a5dfbb287 Merge pull request #671 from JackMerlin/master
801163264e github: create template configuration
f0c34871be github: create bug template
434857ddb5 httpd: cache require.min.js and jquery-ui.js browser-side (ref. #657)
ed9199883f httpd: fix compiler warning in ej_show_sysinfo()
9fa141b22c httpd: re-harmonized with upstream
83cef57b4a httpd: remove duplicate code in httpd.c:main()
ec97c100d2 rc: re-enable cpuwait support on RT-AC86U/GT-AC2900
4548b54d5f webui: re-enable Speedtest webui on RT-AX56U and RT-Ax58U
de99bc07fd rc: limit fq_codel queues to 1000 packets instead of the default 10240.
1092dbfa4d rc: shared: webui: Hardcode fq_codel usage for tQoS/Bandwidth Limiter, remove option to select sfq as a qsched
acdf339dd3 rc: if MTU setting is empty or invalid, use 1500 instead of 576 or 9000
bd4d82908a Bumped version to beta 4

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 beta is now available for all supported models (and a few new ones). This marks the switch to the new 386 code base from Asus, which introduces a few changes of its own:

- AiMesh 2.0 (better node management, shared Guest Networks, topology optimizer and more)
- Both AC and AX models are once again based on the same code base
- Speedtest powered by Ookla (note: can be limited by your router's CPU speed)
- Switch to OpenSSL 1.1.1 (so we can now fully move everything to 1.1.1 on our end)
- IPSEC IKEv2 support
- Instant Guard (new simple-to-configure mobile VPN client based on IPSEC)

And numerous under the hood changes, such as better Guest Network handling (the first Guest Network can now be shared with AiMesh nodes) and various other enhancements.

On Asuswrt-Merlin's own end of things, this release mark the addition of two new models:

- RT-AX86U
- Experimental support for the GT-AC2900 (done in collaboration with Asus)

The latter comes with a few caveats:
- The non-ROG webui is used (meaning some ROG-exclusive features are currently NOT supported)
- VPNFusion is not supported (as it's tied to Asus's own closed source OpenVPN implementation)

The non-ROG UI has been implemented by Asus, they also took care of adding GeForceNow QoS support to our code base. This will serve as an experiment to see if other GT models could be added in the future with their collaboration.

Upgrade notes:
- If coming from a previous alpha build, you MUST do a factory default reset after flashing this beta firmware.
- If coming from stock Asus firmware, a factory default reset is recommended, but not mandatory.
- If going back to stock Asus firmware, a factory default reset is STRONGLY recommended.
- If updating your GT-AC2900 from an older 384_xxxx firmware, reformatting your JFFS partition is STRONGLY recommended.
- Direct upgrade from 384.18 or 384.19 should be fine, but be prepared to do a factory default reset if something does not work as expected.

Here are the highlights of changes since 384.19:
  • Merged with beta GPL 386_41700. Since it's a beta GPL, logging activity will be a bit more verbose than normal. Just don't panic at log entries you don't understand, not everything means that your router is not working properly. Most of this is debugging info, NOT error reporting.
  • Added support for the RT-AX86U and the GT-AC2900 (the latter is experimental)
  • Updated components: dnsmasq (2.84), OpenVPN (2.5.0), OpenSSL (1.1.1h), nano (5.2), curl (7.72.0), zlib (1.2.11), lz4 (1.9.2), e2fsprogs (1.45.6), dropbear (2020.81), miniuppnpd (2.2.0-20201129 snapshot), ipset userspace (7.6, which is compatible with the kernel's v6 protocol).
  • Various changes to OpenVPN to support 2.5.0, remove deprecated features (like the old ciphers setting), tweak the webui, and fix a few issues. Please review the detailed list of changes in the Changelog.
  • Firmware update server is now hardcoded rather than stored in nvram, for security purposes, and check frequency changed from every 48 hours to every 24 hours
  • Added an option to run the Speedtest through a specific OpenVPN client (the webui will automatically detect which client is currently running and add it to the list of available interfaces)
  • fq_codel is no longer supported under Adaptive QoS, due to architectural changes made by Trend Micro, preventing Asuswrt-Merlin's previous patch from injecting fq_codel into rules generated by the Trend Micro engine.
  • Fixed some ISPs that failed to renew DHCP leases when Adaptive QoS was enabled.
  • Removed largely unused and outdated support for the Cloudcheck mobile app (I bet virtually none of you knew it even existed
  • Improvements to the DNSPrivacy preset list implementation, and the addition of AdGuard and CIRA Canadian Shield to the list
  • Increased the number of available mount points for third party web pages from 10 to 20.
  • And a brand new website to better accommodate the list of supported models, and make publishing new releases easier (and more automated) for me. It was completed a few months ago, but was waiting to launch it at the same time as the first 386 beta release).

There are a number of specific areas that will require thorough testing:

• OpenVPN (note that some issues may be caused by VPN tunnel providers who haven't properly updated their own server. That was the case for PIA for instance which only recently updated their servers to be compatible with 2.5.0 clients.)
  • ipset (the warning about the protocol version is normal, and just a warning telling you that the kernel supports version 6, and your ipset executable supports both version 6 and 7)
  • While testing AiMesh is ok, do note that AiMesh is closed source, and therefore any issue within it are outside of my control. Reproduce the same issue with the stock firmware, and if you do, report it to Asus instead
  • Everything about the RT-AX86U and GT-AC2900
  • Speedtest on the RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U (seems to have performance issues)

Please keep discussions in this thread on this specific beta release. Off-topic posts will be either ignored, moved or deleted depending on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Known issues:

• RT-AX88U syslog spam when using Guest Network 1 (issue that will have to be resolved by Asus, only workaround is to switch to Guest Network 2)
  • I need further testing of the Speedtest on the RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U, results don't seem right. (Seems fine so far)
  • Downgrading the RT-AC68U to a previous version will require a factory default reset (Not a bug, just the same side effect as previous models when they switched to encrypted password storage)
  • High CPU temperature on the RT-AC86U (fixed in beta 5)
  • RT-AX88U performance issues for some users, also cannot flash other firmware images on top of beta 4 (Beta 4 pulled for this model, fixed in beta 5)

Last edited:
1610158902732.png

thank you!

> ec97c100d2 rc: re-enable cpuwait support on RT-AC86U/GT-AC2900

Sweet!

@RMerlin Do we need to be concerned with the release notes that were issued by @ASUSWRT_2020 for the original (Beta) Asus firmware release that this is based upon (386_41535)?

Change log
- Fixed Let's encrypt register issue.
- Fixed packet loop problem in ethernet backhaul.
- To improve security, RT-AC68U starts to encrypt the NVRAM from this version.
Known issue: RT-AC68U needs to be reset to default to resolve the login problem after upgrading to this beta version.
If you want to downgrade to the previous version, you need to do it with rescue mode.
We are looking for a solution to this problem if you worry about this known issue, please wait for a further version and not update to this version.

In particular, I was wondering about any downgrade issues we might encounter. Same issues apply?

@RMerlin Do we need to be concerned with the release notes that were issued by @ASUSWRT_2020 for the original (Beta) Asus firmware release that this is based upon (386_45535)?

Change log
- Fixed Let's encrypt register issue.
- Fixed packet loop problem in ethernet backhaul.
- To improve security, RT-AC68U starts to encrypt the NVRAM from this version.
Known issue: RT-AC68U needs to be reset to default to resolve the login problem after upgrading to this beta version.
If you want to downgrade to the previous version, you need to do it with rescue mode.
We are looking for a solution to this problem if you worry about this known issue, please wait for a further version and not update to this version.

In particular, I was wondering about any downgrade issues we might encounter. Same issues apply?

It probably does, however what little detail I have so far seem to indicate this mostly affect people who already had filled up nvram. Since my firmware warns people about it, then it's less likely to be a problem, unless people ignore warning messages.

In any case, I have been unable to reproduce the issue myself on my RT-AC66U_B1. So, people should just apply the same usual beta recommendations: don't flash a beta without having a backup.

And yes, downgrading will require a factory default reset, although it should still let you flash it directly.

rt-ac86u. Immediate 10 degree jump in temperatures, though I was expecting a rise, not quite that much. 88->98 degrees.

Checking cpuwait, and it was disabled.

Not sure the CPUwait change has fully taken effect.

rt-ac86u. Immediate 10 degree jump in temperatures, though I was expecting a rise, not quite that much. 88->98 degrees.

Checking cpuwait, and it was disabled.

Not sure the CPUwait change has fully taken effect.
Checked mine too... also disabled.

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC86U 386.1_beta4 Fri Jan 8 22:42:18 UTC 2021
admin@RT-AC86U-XXXXXXXXXX:/tmp/home/root# pwr show

Power Management Configuration
Functional Block Status
CPU Wait DISABLED
Ethernet Auto Power Down ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status:Deactivated)
admin@RT-AC86U-XXXXXXXXX:/tmp/home/root#

RT-AX58U

- Internet Speed tab is now available and classification chart graphics are visible.
- AdaptiveQOS bandwidth setting actually works now for upload and download on website versions of speedtest.net and fast.com. Bufferbloat gone. Speedtest from the GUI ignores these settings though and uses the full pipe.

Looking good!

That code is now closed source, so it's not under my control.
So the update in this was to enable the ability to switch it then?

So the update in this was to enable the ability to switch it then?

The update was made to source code that is currently not used, and overriden by a closed source binary object. I don't know at this time if I can reuse that source code, no idea how up to date it is, or how much longer until it gets completely removed from the GPL releases.

The update was made to source code that is currently not used, and overriden by a closed source binary object. I don't know at this time if I can reuse that source code, no idea how up to date it is, or how much longer until it gets completely removed from the GPL releases.
Understood. Appreciate the detail.

FWIW - I enabled it on my 86Us and will see. Temps dropped immediately.

Dirty update from beta3, everything works as expected.
Updated AiMesh router (AX58U) first and main router (AX88U) after.

Dirty update from beta3 for my three APs. All good so far. Manually enabled the CPUWAIT on the 86U's.
As always, thanks @RMerlin for the tireless work.

EDIT: Observation, a reboot of the 86U restored the CPU Wait DISABLED setting.

Last edited:
WPS reset across ALL and fresh rebuild, all good. As per others have reported and Merlin has already commented about the CPU wait, remained disabled.

Thanks, @RMerlin.

Just update from Beta3 to Beta4 and all seems good.
Uptime: 0 days 0 hour(s) 9 minute(s) 1 seconds

Thank you Rmerlin.

Installed fine on my home network (AX88U router, AX58U aimesh & AC88U aimesh) but unable to install at our holiday house (via VPN) on an AC68U (router) and AC68U (aimesh). On the AC68U aimesh node it just comes back to the upload screen after selecting the firmware to install; on the AC68U router it goes through the motions of installing (scrollbar through to 100% saying it's upgrading), but after a reboot, it's still on beta3. I'll try installing it locally next time we're at the holiday house later in the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!