What's new

Component quality switches.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lola

Regular Contributor
Is there much difference in the ports that come on a router and the ones that come on a switch relative to quality of product? I'm referring to physical quality/other things not port count.

Last edited:
Not much. It is a simple matter to move packets on an internal LAN at switch speeds (1GbE).

Is there much difference in the ports that come on a router and the ones that come on a switch relative to quality of product? I'm referring to physical quality/other things not port count.

Do you mean port modules which comes in groups of 4,8... RJ45 jacks? If you are talking about RJ45 jacks, yes, there are differences ( Look at a Panasonic Toughbook and Cheap laptop. Compare them between two)

As far as switches go - I've very good luck with Netgear's ProSafe line - both managed (lightly sometimes), and unmanaged - they're built like tanks, and for a SOHO/Small Business solution, they're fairly good...

D-Link - I've got an old 5-port 100Mbit Fast Ethernet switch, and it's been in service for over 10 years now - pretty solid...

Linksys - I've got an 8 port gigabit unmanaged desktop switch - it's been in service for a couple of years now, and no problems noted - only issue I've seen with it is more subjective in that the Link/Activity LED's are not on the same side as the ports - but that's a preference, not a defect..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!