What's new

Connect two routers with OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnM

New Around Here
Hello!

I'm new to this forum, but on my search to connect two Asus routers together by using OpenVPN, I got directed to this site. :)

I have a RT-AC87U with Firmware:380.61 in my home.

I'm trying to connect it to a RT-AC68U with Firmware:380.61 that is at my in-laws house.

I'm using the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on both routers.

I'm using OpenVPN on my laptops, tablets and mobile devices. Running a server on both of the routers.
Have got everything working great, but I'm really struggling on how to set up so that I can run a client on the RT-AC87U.

I don't need any client <-> client access or anything like that.
Since I can connect my devices to the other networks with LAN access, I'm now just trying to get my home network behind the public IP address of my in-laws.

Is there anyone that have a guide I can look at or that can help me with this matter?
Searching on google for OpenVPN gets me a lot of websites, but almost all of them are refering to terminal configuration, and I'm not that into the technicall stuff. So I need to use the Asus OpenVPN GUI :rolleyes:

--
JohnM

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, but on my search to connect two Asus routers together by using OpenVPN, I got directed to this site. :)

I have a RT-AC87U with Firmware:380.61 in my home.

I'm trying to connect it to a RT-AC68U with Firmware:380.61 that is at my in-laws house.

I'm using the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on both routers.

I'm using OpenVPN on my laptops, tablets and mobile devices. Running a server on both of the routers.
Have got everything working great, but I'm really struggling on how to set up so that I can run a client on the RT-AC87U.

I don't need any client <-> client access or anything like that.
Since I can connect my devices to the other networks with LAN access, I'm now just trying to get my home network behind the public IP address of my in-laws.

Is there anyone that have a guide I can look at or that can help me with this matter?
Searching on google for OpenVPN gets me a lot of websites, but almost all of them are refering to terminal configuration, and I'm not that into the technicall stuff. So I need to use the Asus OpenVPN GUI :rolleyes:

--
JohnM
Should be able to just import the OpenVPN settings from your in-laws to the OpenVPN client on your router. You would probably need to set it up so that it Redirect Internet traffic is either All or Policy Rules.

As Zirescu said, Run OpenVPN Server on the RT-AC68U of your in-laws, export the .ovpn file.
Open the .ovpn file it in a OpenVPN Client running on your RT-AC87U.

actually, I would keep the server on the 87U and use the client on the 68U, because it has a less powerful CPU. if only the two are connected it probably won't matter, since the tunnel will be limited by the slowest CPU, but if you want to have this permanent tunnel and also connect an additional client the 87U should handle that better.

Hi, and thank your for your reply's.

I have allready tried to import the .ovpn files.
The one I use on computers for LAN access(TAP), and the one I use on my mobile(TUN).

I'm able to connect 87U to the 68U. At least it says that on the VPN page.

Connected with TUN, the 87U status says that I have internet connection, but I have no internet connection on my devices/computers.

Connected with TAP, the 87U says that I I have internet connection, and the internet works on my devices, but I'm still behind my own 87U IP address.

In short,

I'm can connect to the 68U with both TUN and TAP. But the internet traffic won't redirect. And on TUN internet don't work at all on my devices after the 87U are connected.

Have uploaded a snapshot of the client settings, maybe you see something that is wrong?
TAP.jpg TUN.png

Ah, that exclude the TUN way :)
But why won't ut work with TAP?

Sent fra min D6603 via Tapatalk

Is the remote gateway 192.168.1.1? What is your local network range?

Mine is 192.168.2.1 and the 68U have 192.168.1.1.
Did this after i got a error of conflict
Don't know if it was the right thing to do.. :)

Is there anyone that have an idea?
I'm not able to get this to work [emoji19]

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!