What's new

Help Required Upgrading AC68U from Stock FW to Merlin Please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

auldwader

New Around Here
Hi folks,

Im looking for some assistance in getting my DSL-AC68U onto Merlin's Firmware. I have had a RT-AC68U for many years and it's currently running Merlin's Firmware 384.19 in AP mode and have recently purchased a second one to extend my wifi network. This new (second hand) router has a stock firmware Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_50117 and on trying to flash with the latest Merlin firmware it fails! Looking at the readme, I'm confused...
  • Starting with Asus's 3.0.0.4.380_3000, a new firmware format is used. To flash Asuswrt-Merlin on one of these newer firmwares, you will need 380.61 or newer. Likewise, downgrading to an older version is not supported. (Try firmware recovery mode if you really need to downgrade.)
  • The RT-AC68U and RT-AC56U need to be at least on firmware 378.55 (or the last 378.xxx version from Asus) before you can flash 380.xx or newer, due to the partition size change.
Can any kind soul point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks for any help.

Last edited:
RT-AC68U and DSL-AC68U are different routers.

DSL-AC68U is supported by @GNUton. The project page is here:

The latest available firmware for this router is 386.10_0-gnuton1.

1711377846585.png

And, don't consider buying an RT-AC68U today. It is EOL (after 10+ years!).

The currently recommended router is the RT-AX88U Pro. But what may be the best fit for you and your network will depend on the details of your ISP, including speeds, network usage, and the ownership length you expect from your new purchase.

And, don't consider buying an RT-AC68U today. It is EOL (after 10+ years!).

The currently recommended router is the RT-AX88U Pro. But what may be the best fit for you and your network will depend on the details of your ISP, including speeds, network usage, and the ownership length you expect from your new purchase.
It was just to bump up my wireless coverage and use Aimesh for the first time as I have just upgraded to a 1Gig fibre connection. Ah well it was only £30, lesson learned I guess

Was it to be a wired or wireless node?

The RT-AC68U class routers would be horrible with a 1Gbps ISP in wireless backhaul mode. (I would expect less than 1/3 of the speeds an AX class router like the RT-AX68U would offer. And even though the RT-AX68U is also EOL, as a node, it is still an excellent buy if it can be found at a good price).

Was it to be a wired or wireless node?

The RT-AC68U class routers would be horrible with a 1Gbps ISP in wireless backhaul mode. (I would expect less than 1/3 of the speeds an AX class router like the RT-AX68U would offer. And even though the RT-AX68U is also EOL, as a node, it is still an excellent buy if it can be found at a good price).
Wired backhaul although Im unsure if it would actually work! My Current RT-AC68U is in AP mode and my plan was to backhaul the new router into one of its LAN ports. I love the ac68U it has been a fantastic router and blew the socks off of other routers at that time. Perhaps I may have to dig deep and invest in a new one.

Many thanks for your help @L&LD much appreciated

Sorry to hijack your post, but I'm having issues flashing Merlin to a RT-AC1900U as well.
Tried via the ASUS web CLI and with the recovery tool. It fails both ways, either with the message about the FCC deliberation or that the firmware isn't supported.
I'm on the most recent official version and was trying to flash the newest Merlin.

I'm on the most recent official version

What is the most recent official version number? Is it Asuswrt 386_51668 or something else?

Wired backhaul although Im unsure if it would actually work! My Current RT-AC68U is in AP mode and my plan was to backhaul the new router into one of its LAN ports.
I don't know what main router you have, but forget about AiMesh. If you want a cheap Asus AP mode see new RT-AX52 - only £54,99.
If you have a bit more budget, you can see TUF-AX3000 v2, RT-AX59U or TUF-AX4200. However, for AP mode only, I wouldn't spend more than about £100.

ASUS stock 3.0.0.4.386_51668 to RT-AX68U_3004_388.6_2
You cannot flash the AX series router firmware to an AC series router. Choose only the correct firmware that matches your specific router from either the Asus website or from the Asus-Merlin website.

Edit to add:
Asus firmware for the RT-AC1900U:

Asus-Merlin firmware for the RT-AC1900U:

Yeah, sorry that was my dyslexia kicking in... All is good.
Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience.

This is a very common mistake thanks to Asus model naming. They want users to pay attention. 🤭

RT-AC68U, RT-AX68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX86U Pro... what you think was failing actually saved your router.