What's new

Correct setup of network devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rt2016

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I do actually have the following setup:

Draytek 167 (VDSL Modem), which is connected to the router RT-AX59U.

The router is connected to the unmanaged switch, and the switch is connected with Telegärtner Mini Distributor MPD8. From here are all the different rooms connected e.g living room or sleeping room.

In the rooms I do have connected the Asus Zenwifi XT8, actually this is setup as Mesh network.

Could I remove the Asus RT-AX59U and only use the ASUS Zenwifi Devices? I would then have to set 1 station as the router? Or is there any problem how I would like to do it?

best regards
rt2016

Hi all,

I do actually have the following setup:

Draytek 167 (VDSL Modem), which is connected to the router RT-AX59U.

The router is connected to the unmanaged switch, and the switch is connected with Telegärtner Mini Distributor MPD8. From here are all the different rooms connected e.g living room or sleeping room.

In the rooms I do have connected the Asus Zenwifi XT8, actually this is setup as Mesh network.

Could I remove the Asus RT-AX59U and only use the ASUS Zenwifi Devices? I would then have to set 1 station as the router? Or is there any problem how I would like to do it?

best regards
rt2016

ASUS AiMesh can be connected as the network router:

modem <wire> AiMesh router <wire/wireless> AiMesh node(s)

Or it can be connected in AP Mode to a non-AiMesh router:

modem <wire> non-AiMesh router <wire> AiMesh router in AP Mode <wire/wireless> AiMesh node(s)

Your mix of models/ZEN 'system', dual-band/tri-band, wired/wireless(?), and number of APs needed(?) could suggest that some simplification might help overall... like use only the ZEN system in AP mode with your own non-AiMesh router (could be the AX59U), or use the AX59U as AiMesh router with all ZEN nodes wired to free-up all WiFi for client use.

If using any managed switches, beware that AiMesh Guest1 WLANs use VLANs 501 and 502... until Guest Network Pro and more VLAN capability arrives in 3.0.0.6.* firmware for Pro models.

OE

But I do have some difficulties to understand how i then can enter those access points? Is there the same WEBUI as Asus do offer and how can I set the different parameters?

br
rt2016

Routers in AP Mode have own GUI with the options applicable to AP Mode. The AP will get an IP address from the main router's DHCP. You have to find what this IP address is and login to the GUI there. The ways to find the IP address - 1) Asus Device Discovery tool; 2) look at the main router's client list; 3) set static IP to the AP during setup.

But I do have some difficulties to understand how i then can enter those access points? Is there the same WEBUI as Asus do offer and how can I set the different parameters?

br
rt2016

Also, search ASUS FAQs... lots of instruction there. See the FAQ Search on the main page in the router webUI to get started.

OE

Hi all, there is just one additional question. When I set 4 AP#s up do I have to take about the distance and channel? Or can I just set them, or will I risk any disturbance because the overlay each other?

It works well if your mobile client starts seeing the next available AP when the signal level from the AP it is connected to drops to about -65dBm. You have to tune the system otherwise your clients will not roam properly. Don't turn on all the APs at once. Test with 2-3-4 powered on and see what works better in your environment.

Well shouldn't I take 1,6 and 11?

'Test with 2-3-4 powered on' is referring to number of nodes/APs, not channels.

Try all channels; or use Auto, if you can't decide.

OE

Don't use any 'app' or WiFi 'analyzer'. They don't report utilization, interfere with the testing you're doing, and generally, make the process needlessly longer than it needs to be.

See 'Control Channel Setup' in the link above.

Is there any wifi analyzer app I could use to help optimizing it?

Popular app is called exactly WiFi Analyzer, runs on Android devices:

There are many other similar apps. You can use them for signal level measuring, but not for channel selection.

This is inaccurate measurement with many variables, but gives you an idea what to do and is better than nothing and pure guessing.

Power on the first AP, load the app and walk away from the AP. When the signal level drops to about -65dBm - this is 1/2 distance to the next AP.

Popular app is called exactly WiFi Analyzer, runs on Android devices:

That app is available on f-droid.org (they have a package management app which I recommend as a first choice before "play store") if'n you want google to track you ever so much less. Not sure whether apps there are themselves compiled less-googly internally but have seen apps freely available there which cost $ at play store for the same fuller-featured version.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!