What's new

Couple of questions regarding overclocking the RT-AC88U...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lukeglazebrook

Occasional Visitor
Ok so I have a shiny new RT-AC88U from Australia and its been running like a champ for a few days on my busy network with lots of devices and VMs from my labs. However I would like a moderate overclock just to maximize the value I'm getting from it, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help with...

- On my busy network is seems to consistently run at 70c is that about normal?

- Anyone know of a ball park figure I should be able to easily clock it too? 1500mhz for the CPU for example?

- If I simply type the below without a reboot am I actually truly running at that speed?

example...

nvram set clkfreq=1500,800
nvram commit

Reason I ask is I would rather not have the change saved since it might potentially not boot again, thanks for any advice you can provide guys to any of my questions.

Hi there, have one as well now and would like to try. Are you sure the memory is running at 800 mhz? There used to be a command to check the mem speed but I forgot to write it down. You would probably need to commit and reboot. If it does not restart, reset. The ASUS routers used to be virtually unbrickable, hope that is still the case.

Otherwise you should probably adjust it in sets of 200 for the CPU. I have overclocked the AC68U and R7000 and went from 800 to 1000, 1200, 1400 mhz, etc. So this one runs 1400 native, it should be save to try 1600 and whatever the memory runs by default. Maybe it could handle 1800, but probably risky. Always better to start slow increases and see how it handles it, run it at 1600 for a few days to check temp and stability.

Temperatures under 80C are fine. My AC87u ran 80C +-1C on stock speed all the time. Let's test...

On that note, I had OC'd the AC56U, AC68U, and P version, so the Asus routers seem to have some OC potential. My Netgear R7000 is running at 1400 instead of 1000, let's see what this baby can do.

Last edited:
Cannot seem to get this one to overclock on a quick try. 'nvram get clkfreq' tells me 1400,800 which was to be expected, but when I change the cpu speed I cannot seem to get it to boot properly. Tried 1600 and 1500. CPU temp is 66C idling.

The problem could be hardware or software. This firmware is very new, so it's not terribly surprising if it has a few race conditions exposed by overclocking.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hi
I have Overclocking to 1600/800 and works fine for 4 Days

Temp 53C with cooling

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!