What's new

CPU utilisation spikes AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stef1949

Occasional Visitor
I keep getting strange CPU utilisation spikes on my AX86U for the past few months and I cant figure out how to fix it. I've done numerous L&LD resets & minimal config before performing more resets and I still can't find the cause of this. It only occurs on core 3. Whenpon SSH into my router and running "top -d3", these are the top processes using the most CPU utilisation.
1695991030016.png
Screenshot 2023-09-29 134431.jpg

Stating the obvious but do you have a lot of amazon kit? Does the router quiet down if you disconnect them all?
Edit: That may be a little misleading as a lot of other devices (voip phones for example) also use the aws servers.

What is your specific router model? What firmware are you running on it? Are you importing any old backup config files? Are you using any amtm scripts (or otherwise)? Are you plugging in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm, without first formatting it on a PC to NTFS format?

What changes, options, and features are you enabling/changing past defaults?

Do the CPU spikes cause actual issues on your network?

Have you enabled Amazon Alexa / IFTTT support on the router? If so, it could just be that's how it works.

Last edited:
What is your specific router model? What firmware are you running on it? Are you importing any old backup config files? Are you using any amtm scripts (or otherwise)? Are you plugging in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm, without first formatting it on a PC to NTFS format?

What changes, options, and features are you enabling/changing past defaults?

Do the CPU spikes cause actual issues on your network?
Model: AX5700
Firmware: MerlinWRT 3.0.0.4.388.4_0
Fresh install (no backups)
No amtm scripts
No usb devices plugged in

Changed defaults:
  • Smart connect disabled
  • MU-MIMO enabled
  • OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO enabled
  • WiFi 6 enabled
  • Short preamble type
  • DDNS (my url)
  • QoS disabled
:3

CPU spikes do cause issues when streaming (twitch, TikTok live & FaceTime etc)

20230928_111951.jpeg

Cute cat picture :333

I keep getting strange CPU utilisation spikes on my AX86U for the past few months and I cant figure out how to fix it. I've done numerous L&LD resets & minimal config before performing more resets and I still can't find the cause of this. It only occurs on core 3. Whenpon SSH into my router and running "top -d3", these are the top processes using the most CPU utilisation.
View attachment 53360View attachment 53363
Are you using any of the Trend Micro features? Looks like a process is running for the deep packet inspection? Have you withdrawn from Trend Micro as well or still using something like AIProtect?

I have disabled and withdrew consent :)
Do you think that the spikes coincide with the awsiot process shown in your screenshot? This is a new process that was introduced with the 388 firmware branch and there doesn't appear to be any option to stop it running. You can kill it but the watchdog will just restart it.

Look in the router's System Log for error messages or processes crashing.

Last edited:
Are you using any of the Trend Micro features? Looks like a process is running for the deep packet inspection? Have you withdrawn from Trend Micro as well or still using something like AIProtect?
I withdrew consent from them too, unfortunately didn’t affect the cpu utilisation spikes :(

Do you think that the spikes coincide with the awsiot process shown in your screenshot? This is a new process that was introduced with the 388 firmware branch and there doesn't appear to be any option to stop it running. You can kill it but the watchdog will just restart it.

Look in the router's System Log for error messages or processes crashing.
Thank you this is very insightful I’ll try and do this!

Sorry I don’t understand what you mean, the model is RT-AX86U (AX5700)

RT-AX86U is a model. AX5700 is a WiFi AX 'class'.

Note that AX86U also isn't a model. It could be an RT-AX86U, RT-AX86U Pro, or even an RT-AX86S if I were to guess the wrong key was tapped.

Being specific is sometimes crucial to getting correct advice/help. :)

My AX86U has the same problem. I look at the process data with "top" (then press "1") command. The CPU spike core number coincides with this "/usr/sbin/awsiot" process core number very well. It is this process in my case. (I am using the latest Merlin firmware as of today for AX86U)
This CPU spike problem is causing ping spike in my home network, and is very annoying.

After I revert Merlin firmware to 388.2.2, this issue is fixed, and I do not see this awsiot process anymore.

Last edited:
My AX86U has the same problem. I look at the process data with "top" (then press "1") command. The CPU spike core number coincides with this "/usr/sbin/awsiot" process core number very well. It is this process in my case. (I am using the latest Merlin firmware as of today for AX86U)
This CPU spike problem is causing ping spike in my home network, and is very annoying.

After I revert Merlin firmware to 388.2.2, this issue is fixed, and I do not see this awsiot process anymore.
Sorry for my late response, I think I found the culprit.

If you have the Asus Router app, try to unlink your app from the router. I didn't follow a strict process when I did this, so I'm unsure if this was the fix for me, but give it a try and see if it works x

Ok I've just verified if this was the issue and it seems to be the case :/

Disabling remote connection solves the issue, how weird

Ok I've just verified if this was the issue and it seems to be the case :/

Disabling remote connection solves the issue, how weird
Good find!

thanks for this. I was having CPU spiking of ~25% on 1 random core every few seconds. top showed "awsiot" with high cpu -- but strange I thought as I never used Amazon/Alexa or set up the integration. I did however, use the 'Account Binding' to bind my Google account to my router. As soon as I removed that binding, awsiot stopped hogging Cpu and my spikes went away. Maybe ASUS needs to be aware to fix something?

Router: ZenWiFi Pro XT12
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.388_24177

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240110-173241~2.png
    Screenshot_20240110-173241~2.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 38