What's new

ASUS QOS does NOTHING! Help wanted [Rant]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Let's make the most of what you already got!

And by skimming through your thread that's a pretty weak router and a unstable oversold ISP line. That said, I still believe your Asus router can make your internet experience a whole lot better by following these simple steps (to the letter).

Just to cover the basics. I assume you are running Merlin's latest firmware, and that you've already performed a factory reset with the "Initialize" box checked on the side, and then reconfigured your router from scratch manually (AND NOT READ IN ANY FORM OF BACKUP CONFIG FILE FROM EARLIER). If not, start by doing so now.

I am also assuming that your routers lan side ip adress is 192.168.1.1 in this walk through, if not please adapt to your lans ip range below!

Then you go to your routers Adaptive QOS page -> choose the QOS tab -> Enable QOS -> Choose Bandwidth Limiter ->In the Target field you type in the following: 192.168.1.* (pay attention to the asterix at the end) -> In the upload bandwidth field you type in 5 Mb/s -> In download bandwidth field you type in 25 Mb/s -> and then hit the plus sign to the right -> and then hit Apply.

Give it a few minutes to settle, and then you will see your Asus router make wonders to your internet experience and test results!

The simple trick is all about keeping things well within the limits of your HW (router) and ISP line. If your test results still not close to A+, you will have to lower the up and down speeds even more. That's simply the price you'll pay for a rock steady internet connection given your current HW and unstable ISP.

Best of luck!

Attachments

• LimiterPic.PNG
    LimiterPic.PNG
    61.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
From previous posts asking for advice on topics like; QOS, SQM, bufferbloat, latency spikes, etc - I was advised to upgrade my router.

I was using an ASUS RT-AC66U_B1, which had Merlin installed (previous owner sold it to me with Merlin). I just recently upgraded to an RT-AX88U, stock firmware (up to date though).

Performing bufferbloat tests using Waveform Bufferbloat test page, I'm getting worse performance than with the older, less powerful router. What the hell??

I've gone from averaging a B, with 30ms unloaded latency/20ms download loaded latency/40 - 80ms upload loaded latency to averaging a C with 50ms unloaded latency/40ms download load latency/120ms upload load latency.

How is the more powerful, more expensive router performing worse!? Is it because I'm using stock firmware rather than Merlin like I did with my old RT-AC66U_B1? It's not my connection as although my Virgin Media connection isn't great, my BQM today looks almost the same as it did several days ago before I upgraded router.

I set the router up from fresh. Is there some setting that may be messing with its performance? I'm seriously not having any luck with these ASUS routers...

It was suggested that you run TCP Optimizer on your PC before doing anything else.

Make sure your ethernet settings are optimal before testing anything else.

I would save yourself some time and grief, that Waveform test that upsets you is absolute garbage.

I have tried it several times recenty and twice again just now , the results shown for my line are so wrong it is laughable.

Unloaded latency 20+ms? I am 50 meters from the FTTC cabinet, latency is 8.5ms and most speed test sites show 9-11ms max.

My throughput is a full 80/20 , Waveform shows 48/18 .

Last edited:
Wow, you worry about internet exploits and then you turn off the feature that will protect you.

Then you worry about buffer bloat yet use a QOS type that is not designed to improve it. You want CAKE which is as easy to implement as cake.

These are your fixes, it's up to you to use them.

Morris
Huh? I was worried TrendMicro could have a data breach. Don't need their "protection" anyways, routers have something called a Firewall... don't need TrendMicro.

How is it easy to implement? As far as I'm aware, I need a Windows PC and need to type special scripts into a program. I don't own a PC, so how the hell am I supposed to install said script?

Let's make the most of what you already got!

And by skimming through your thread that's a pretty weak router and a unstable oversold ISP line. That said, I still believe your Asus router can make your internet experience a whole lot better by following these simple steps (to the letter).

Just to cover the basics. I assume you are running Merlin's latest firmware, and that you've already performed a factory reset with the "Initialize" box checked on the side, and then reconfigured your router from scratch manually (AND NOT READ IN ANY FORM OF BACKUP CONFIG FILE FROM EARLIER). If not, start by doing so now.

I am also assuming that your routers lan side ip adress is 192.168.1.1 in this walk through, if not please adapt to your lans ip range below!

Then you go to your routers Adaptive QOS page -> choose the QOS tab -> Enable QOS -> Choose Bandwidth Limiter ->In the Target field you type in the following: 192.168.1.* (pay attention to the asterix at the end) -> In the upload bandwidth field you type in 5 Mb/s -> In download bandwidth field you type in 25 Mb/s -> and then hit the plus sign to the right -> and then hit Apply.

Give it a few minutes to settle, and then you will see your Asus router make wonders to your internet experience and test results!

The simple trick is all about keeping things well within the limits of your HW (router) and ISP line. If your test results still not close to A+, you will have to lower the up and down speeds even more. That's simply the price you'll pay for a rock steady internet connection given your current HW and unstable ISP.

Best of luck!
That's ridiculous advice. Not only are you asking me to reduce my bandwidth down significantly, to less than 15% of my available bandwidth - but after trying that it does absolutely nothing, in fact I achieve WORSE bufferbloat score if I reduce bandwidth too much.

How is it easy to implement? As far as I'm aware, I need a Windows PC and need to type special scripts into a program. I don't own a PC, so how the hell al I supposed to install said script?
You don't need any scripts. Now that you've got a new router that supports Cake it appears as an option under the Adaptive QoS settings.

Huh? I was worried TrendMicro could have a data breach. Don't need their "protection" anyways, routers have something called a Firewall... don't need TrendMicro.

How is it easy to implement? As far as I'm aware, I need a Windows PC and need to type special scripts into a program. I don't own a PC, so how the hell am I supposed to install said script?
The generation 1 firewall dose little to mitigate today's exploits. Trend micro provides 3rd generation firewall that provides much greater protection.

QOS is fully implemented in Asus routers. You need no other components.

Morris

The generation 1 firewall dose little to mitigate today's exploits. Trend micro provides 3rd generation firewall that provides much greater protection.

QOS is fully implemented in Asus routers. You need no other components.

Morris
Well explain how people use other routers without TrendMicro then? As far as I'm aware, no other router manufacturer like Netgear or TP-Link need to rely on a 3rd party company like TrendMicro.

That's ridiculous advice. Not only are you asking me to reduce my bandwidth down significantly, to less than 15% of my available bandwidth - but after trying that it does absolutely nothing, in fact I achieve WORSE bufferbloat score if I reduce bandwidth too much.
Wher did you get that?

For CAKE QOS a small amount of bandwidth is given up and the result is smother flow and increased throughput, the number that matters. Not only that, time critical applications such as voice and video operate smoothly.

Morris

Well explain how people use other routers without TrendMicro then? As far as I'm aware, no other router manufacturer like Netgear or TP-Link need to rely on a 3rd party company like TrendMicro.

Bud , one thread will do. Bufferbloat

Why is it when ever anyone tries to help you or give advice you argue with them ?

Either you want help or you don't.

Wher did you get that?

For CAKE QOS a small amount of bandwidth is given up and the result is smother flow and increased throughput, the number that matters. Not only that, time critical applications such as voice and video operate smoothly.

Morris
What has CAKE got to do with that guys bad advice? Man wanted me to reduce my download to 25Mbit and upload to 5Mbit. Tried with both Adaptive and Traditional QOS - worsens bufferbloat when bandwidth is too low.

Bud , one thread will do. Bufferbloat

Why is it when ever anyone tries to help you or give advice you argue with them ?

Either you want help or you don't.
It's not an argument, it's a debate. As far as I'm aware all router manufacturers regularly update their Firewalls to protect against modern network threats. I fail to see why TrendMicro is needed, if router manufacturers are doing their job correctly.

It's not an argument, it's a debate. As far as I'm aware all router manufacturers regularly update their Firewalls to protect against modern network threats. I fail to see why TrendMicro is needed, if router manufacturers are doing their job correctly.

Your informatioin is incorrect. Inbuilt firewalls are just gatekeepers, closing ports and rejecting unsolicited packets. The TrendMicro offering prevents intrusion and stops your devices becoming part of a botnet.

You need to turn on TrendMicro to see the full range of QOS settings. As to data breaches ... TrendMicro see nothing that could harm you.

AiProtection

What @jass recommended was actually good advice. You would need to substitute the actual upload/download bandwidth based on what you actually have, and follow the instructions.

Here's some other advice, @360NoScoper. It doesn't help dropping an expletive-laden rant into this forum, throwing a fit like a spoiled 5yr old, dropping F bombs, demanding that everyone better get their act together so that all your problems just go away with a magic QoS pill.

So not only are running an older, slower, unsupported router, you're not even running Merlin as you stated you're on stock FW. And yet you come into this forum demanding a fix? Get your ISP/bandwidth mess cleaned up first, get a modern supported router with Merlin and Cake on it, do your research and your own testing, and then come back to us with your issues.

And reading through this thread, you certainly don't seem to be very appreciative for others that are stopping what they're doing, to try to help you. I would be a bit more thankful for their advice and would really advise you to change your tone, and being about 1000% less hostile and argumentative.

no other router manufacturer like Netgear or TP-Link need to rely on a 3rd party company like TrendMicro.

No need to use it, but it's available with other routers. It's called HomeCare with TP-Link - the same TrendMicro engine: