What's new

Current Spectrum recommended settings regarding DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iFrogMac

Hey guys,
I recently did a hard reset of my AX-86U to give myself a fresh start on the latest firmware. I did all my normal changes and everything is setup and working. However, I noticed the default for the WAN DHCP is Aggressive mode. Doing some searches of older threads (some as new as last year) suggest setting this to "Normal mode" for Spectrum internet. I haven't noticed any issues with losing internet connection, but was wondering if changing this to normal would prevent flooding, if spectrum / Charter prefers slower queries.

Thanks, and if anyone has any updated spectrum specific info regarding asusWRT settings that I may not be aware of, please share.

Thanks

Thread being referenced is here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/intermittent-internet-disconnects-on-ax86u.74367/

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I recently did a hard reset of my AX-86U to give myself a fresh start on the latest firmware. I did all my normal changes and everything is setup and working. However, I noticed the default for the WAN DHCP is Aggressive mode. Doing some searches of older threads (some as new as last year) suggest setting this to "Normal mode" for Spectrum internet. I haven't noticed any issues with losing internet connection, but was wondering if changing this to normal would prevent flooding, if spectrum / Charter prefers slower queries.

Thanks, and if anyone has any updated spectrum specific info regarding asusWRT settings that I may not be aware of, please share.

Thanks

Thread being referenced is here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/intermittent-internet-disconnects-on-ax86u.74367/

That thread discusses many issues, and doesn't particularly require a change to the ASUS WAN DHCP query frequency for Spectrum. I have no issues using the default Aggressive Mode with Spectrum... I'd leave it as is unless required otherwise.

OE

That thread discusses many issues, and doesn't particularly require a change to the ASUS WAN DHCP query frequency for Spectrum. I have no issues using the default Aggressive Mode with Spectrum... I'd leave it as is unless required otherwise.

OE
Thank you, I was planning on leaving it as well. However since I did come across the thread when looking up the setting, thought I would double check, and since the thread was old and my question was slightly different, thought I would start a new thread.

Thank you, I was planning on leaving it as well. However since I did come across the thread when looking up the setting, thought I would double check, and since the thread was old and my question was slightly different, thought I would start a new thread.

Your question, 'was wondering if changing this to normal would prevent flooding, if spectrum / Charter prefers slower queries', is probably best answered by your local Spectrum... they should know, if it matters. But since you don't actually have a problem, I'd forget about it... or just experiment and see if anything breaks. :)

OE

Your question, 'was wondering if changing this to normal would prevent flooding, if spectrum / Charter prefers slower queries', is probably best answered by your local Spectrum... they should know, if it matters. But since you don't actually have a problem, I'd forget about it... or just experiment and see if anything breaks. :)

OE
I don't have a problem specific that that no, I still have occasional glitching with my smart lights, but I did some research on that outside this forum and found a few threads in the TP-Link community regarding older Kasa products having issues with recent Asus firmware. In those instances, the situation was usually related to old outdated firmware on those devices that may have relied on things Asus patched in recent firmwares. I don't have any Kasa products, but many of my symptoms were the same. I have it pretty good now, and it's not a bad enough issue to continue making a public display of it. However, I've tried to get to the bottom of it, and those similar threads / situations have been the closest I came. The lights have always been a bit more glitchy working in Alexa routines, vs the app directly, but putting them into Alexa routines presents more automation options than their app alone. So, I'm not blaming Asus for the issues up front, as I've had glitches from time to time regardless of the router model used. Asus has just presented the same issues in a more up front manner than the rest.

I thin at this point the real fix would be to get some new bulbs with newer firmware, and firmware that gets updated more often.
My current lights are Geeni bulbs, but they are really re-branded Tuya Smart lights. (e.g. that's the backend they use.)

I was asking about the setting in a round about way to see if that setting wasn't set right, that it might be contributing to some of these other issues with the more sensitive and not well designed products.

Thanks again. FWIW, my experience with this router has been over all stable, and thankfully it's just the smart bulbs with problems.

I don't have a problem specific that that no, I still have occasional glitching with my smart lights, but I did some research on that outside this forum and found a few threads in the TP-Link community regarding older Kasa products having issues with recent Asus firmware. In those instances, the situation was usually related to old outdated firmware on those devices that may have relied on things Asus patched in recent firmwares. I don't have any Kasa products, but many of my symptoms were the same. I have it pretty good now, and it's not a bad enough issue to continue making a public display of it. However, I've tried to get to the bottom of it, and those similar threads / situations have been the closest I came. The lights have always been a bit more glitchy working in Alexa routines, vs the app directly, but putting them into Alexa routines presents more automation options than their app alone. So, I'm not blaming Asus for the issues up front, as I've had glitches from time to time regardless of the router model used. Asus has just presented the same issues in a more up front manner than the rest.

I thin at this point the real fix would be to get some new bulbs with newer firmware, and firmware that gets updated more often.
My current lights are Geeni bulbs, but they are really re-branded Tuya Smart lights. (e.g. that's the backend they use.)

I was asking about the setting in a round about way to see if that setting wasn't set right, that it might be contributing to some of these other issues with the more sensitive and not well designed products.

Thanks again. FWIW, my experience with this router has been over all stable, and thankfully it's just the smart bulbs with problems.
I don't understand the reason for this post as it has nothing to do with the WAN DHCP frequency. Perhaps it needs its own post in the Smart Home section.

I don't understand the reason for this post as it has nothing to do with the WAN DHCP frequency. Perhaps it needs its own post in the Smart Home section.
@ColinTaylor I started this thread asking about the WAN DHCP setting, then I added this post explaining why I asked the first question because I thought initially the two might be connected. As a whole, I've tried to keep the smart home questions off this forum and seek help elsewhere because while there is a general smart home discussion area, I just felt by first impressions this forum isn't friendly to smart home stuff because of the potential security risks. Anyway, I apologize for any confusion.

I will say, after doing the hard factory reset, I've been able to use my 2.4Ghz band in mixed mode without issues again. As far as my initial question. I did change the DHCP query mode to normal mode, and everything has remained OK, so I'll leave it there unless I have future problems.

Thanks again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!