What's new

Solved UPDATE: No longer required. See thread. - [Feature request] Option for DHCP Query Frequency Backoff Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is post #33 (in this thread):
Thanks!

How is the "solution" doing? Still working well for you, no disconnections?

No need to search. Just scroll up and, if needed, go to the previous page until you find the post indicated.

As a long time Asus and Merlin user I’ve recently become blighted by this issue having swapped to a fibre ISP. Any drop from the ONT causes the issue and I seem to get multiple drops per day. It may be related to the isp 8 hour dhcp leases. I have static IP on my service and configuring static on my Asus doesn’t help. I get the same with my backup 5G router too.

Unfortunately for me, I don’t have any success with the dual wan failover script which seems to cause even more connection issues than it solves.

I’m back using my ISP router in a dual NAT config which is at least stable, but obviously not ideal. Interestingly I don’t observe any service drops with the isp router although it’s very locked down in terms of stats and logging.

I’m on the verge of defecting to another router option such as pfsense at the moment and just using my asus kit for WiFi

I’m back using my ISP router in a dual NAT config

Just place your Asus WAN IP in ISP router DMZ and continue using your setup it as before. There is no performance penalty, the latency difference is under 1ms. Your only limitation will be UPnP in Asuswrt-Merlin - it doesn't work with private WAN IP addresses after one of the updates. It works in stock Asuswrt - they use older upnpd version perhaps for this very reason. Manual port forwarding and DDNS will work as before. Both Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin have external WAN IP detection for DDNS.

Just place your Asus WAN IP in ISP router DMZ and continue using your setup it as before. There is no performance penalty, the latency difference is under 1ms. Your only limitation will be UPnP in Asuswrt-Merlin - it doesn't work with private WAN IP addresses after one of the updates. It works in stock Asuswrt - they use older upnpd version perhaps for this very reason. Manual port forwarding and DDNS will work as before. Both Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin have external WAN IP detection for DDNS.
That's how I am running, and previously ran with my old ISP. It's just frustrating that such basic bugs have been around for years and never fixed. My other challenge is that I want dual-WAN failover but my 5G router causes the same WAN connectivity failures as my ONT when the IP address changes so it breaks the already flaky dual-WAN.

You want too many things now. Asuswrt doesn't like too picky users. 🤭
keep it simple as possible Asus never guarantees all these features. For over 12 years I have kept things simple as possible for me and all my past clients , never had any trouble using Merlin exclusivly . Like cars the more you add in features the more problems you have

keep it simple as possible Asus never guarantees all these features. For over 12 years I have kept things simple as possible for me and all my past clients , never had any trouble using Merlin exclusivly . Like cars the more you add in features the more problems you have
I know, fancy wanting a stable WAN connection and the advertised Dual WAN functionality listed in the router specs :rolleyes:

Well, for giggles (and out of frustration) I bought myself some hardware and built an Opnsense firewall/router. I am now using this for routing and connectivity to my primary fibre ONT plus secondary 5G backup router, with my Asus devices in AP mode as a mesh.

I can confirm everything is now stabilised and my WAN port / DHCP issues are gone. It certainly seems to be an Asus issue, but my fix isn't for someone who doesn't understand firewalls or wants a consumer out of the box solution.

The icing on the cake is that WAN Failover is working perfectly on OPNSENSE too.

keep it simple as possible Asus never guarantees all these features.

Then Asus should not state such features. So sick of the box advertising saying things that are actually half baked or completely broken never to be fixed. It's a scam and consumer fraud. No different then me selling a car that i know the transmission is failing.

The icing on the cake is that WAN Failover is working perfectly on OPNSENSE too.

You realized Reboot and Reset are not helping and decided to help yourself with the skills you have. As some say - this is the way. 👍

You realized Reboot and Reset are not helping and decided to help yourself with the skills you have. As some say - this is the way. 👍
Yes, however building firewall rulesets and gateway groups isn't as quick as setting up an Asus device. I spent hours troubleshooting my Sky TV today to finally realise that it depends on a ping test to the router itself to prove it has connectivity, but policy based routing for failover had chopped off the branch I was sitting on. Another rule that I'd missed 😃

No doubts about it. The reason I mentioned skills.