What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.9SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I loaded it yesterday. Only issue I saw was I had to redo my ProFTP settings, but I have a copy of my proftpd.conf file saved so I can easily copy it back in.

Thanks!

exsmogger

Hello!

First a big thanks for the custom firmware!
I'm coming form DD-WRT (some years ago) and liked to separate my smarthome stuff from other devices in the WLAN.
There was a possibility to create multiple SSIDs with multiple network ranges. Is there a possibility with Voxel to archive this?

Thanks!

There could be some incompatibility if flashing from 2.3.x.

Do not worry, I had to flash my internal versions about 20 times. And only one brick :)

Voxel.
Dear Voxel,
Thank you for your effort customised firmware
May be RBR will brick if we dont revert back to IP default (192.168.1.1) before flash your firmware or still keep connect with internet thought modem.
I my case was brick went flash your firmware but not yet disconnect to modem and IP not 192.168.1.1.
Another thing can we change connect to AX200 with 5G 1.73gbps (I mean exchange backhauls to another 5G transmission)

I was able to reflash the router using Windows TFTP to 192.168.1.1 on latest stock firmware, then updated to your latest firmware. All seems good now. Was scared, thought I bricked it somehow.

How did you do that? I have the same problem. I cant connect to 192.168.1.1, reset doesnt help.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I had my rbr50 go down after an hour on the custom firmware and won't start back up. When I follow these instructions, I get "Connect request failed" and a red blinking power led on the back of the orbi... these directions don't seem to be specific to the orbi, is there something different that I need to be doing?

There was a possibility to create multiple SSIDs with multiple network ranges. Is there a possibility with Voxel to archive this?
Sorry I do not quite understand what you need. Guest network?

Voxel.

Thank you for your effort customised firmware
May be RBR will brick if we dont revert back to IP default (192.168.1.1) before flash your firmware or still keep connect with internet thought modem.
I my case was brick went flash your firmware but not yet disconnect to modem and IP not 192.168.1.1.
Another thing can we change connect to AX200 with 5G 1.73gbps (I mean exchange backhauls to another 5G transmission)

I am using other range, not 192.168.1.1... But 192.168.1.1 is needed only if using TFTP to recover brick.

My brick (only once) was because of some significant changes in my internal version. Of course I do not publish such bad versions.

But after I got my Orbi I had to perform three flashing: to 2.2.1.212, then to 2.3.x.x and only after that to my version based on 2.5.x.x. There is a warning from NG, So brick is possible if changing not from the stock 2.5.x.x. It is specific of stock...

Voxel.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I had my rbr50 go down after an hour on the custom firmware and won't start back up. When I follow these instructions, I get "Connect request failed" and a red blinking power led on the back of the orbi...
Sorry but I do not think it is because of using my version. I am still using my versions.

these directions don't seem to be specific to the orbi, is there something different that I need to be doing?

Nothing specific is needed for Orbi. Absolutely the same procedure. I used it to recover.

Voxel.

This may be off topic but is there a way to do custom routing with this firmware? Basically I want to set up VPN client on the router and have only specific ports route through the VPN and everything else route normally.

I have a plex server running on a Mac Mini. I want the Mac Mini to connect to the internet using the VPN client running on the router but the Plex server to not use the VPN client on the router. All other devices on the network will not route through the VPN client running on the router.

Just curious if this is even an option with this firmware.

This may be off topic but is there a way to do custom routing with this firmware? Basically I want to set up VPN client on the router and have only specific ports route through the VPN and everything else route normally.

I have a plex server running on a Mac Mini. I want the Mac Mini to connect to the internet using the VPN client running on the router but the Plex server to not use the VPN client on the router. All other devices on the network will not route through the VPN client running on the router.

Just curious if this is even an option with this firmware.

Everything is possible. But this everything requires a time.

Well. First. Orbi and VPN. My impression. Too weak CPU to have fast OpenVPN client connection. But 4 cores and version of kernel is 3.14.77. So IMO the only WireGuard is a real choice. Tested it with Orbi. Very good results and I think speed would be the same as if you would use R9000 with its 4 cores powerful AL-514 CPU. Check this thread:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wireguard-support-to-voxel-fw.59927/

Second. OpenVPN client is available in my version of FW for R7800 and R9000/R8900. There are such possibilities to set up custom routing for some your LAN clients having OpenVPN connection for rest devices. But again. IMO no sense to proceed with OpenVPN client for Orbi.

So this is "under development" to present something like unified solution acceptable for most of users. But if you wan you can do this right now yourself. With WG. It is really possible to do right now. For your concrete environment and using my current version.

Voxe.

In running the netstat command I noticed that the Orbi is listening on port 3333. The process running is potval, which is related to the potd daemon. I looked online and apparently it is normal for this port to be open on the LAN side in Netgear routers. Port 3333 is closed on the WAN side. Any idea what this service is doing? I killed the process with no ill effects.

In running the netstat command I noticed that the Orbi is listening on port 3333. The process running is potval, which is related to the potd daemon. I looked online and apparently it is normal for this port to be open on the LAN side in Netgear routers. Port 3333 is closed on the WAN side. Any idea what this service is doing? I killed the process with no ill effects.

potd daemon is specific NG stuff implemented by DNI (DNI is NG outsource Company). Processes POT nand block in NG routers storing some specific stuffs such as first NTP time synchronization, MAC etc.

Sources are:

https://github.com/SVoxel/ORBI-RBK50/tree/master/git_home/pot.git/src

Similar potd is used as for R7800 as for R9000

https://github.com/SVoxel/R7800/tree/master/package/pot/src

https://github.com/SVoxel/R9000/tree/master/package/pot

P.S.
I do not think that you should disable all the daemons in your Orbi...

Voxel.

Last edited:
When I see something I don't recognize I disable to see what happens and then research. I couldn't find any info online, which is why I asked an expert :)

Thanks very much for the links.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I had my rbr50 go down after an hour on the custom firmware and won't start back up. When I follow these instructions, I get "Connect request failed" and a red blinking power led on the back of the orbi... these directions don't seem to be specific to the orbi, is there something different that I need to be doing?
I'm not sure, but I will suggest to look specifically at item #22 in the support article - which is holding down the reset while powering back on. There is another NG article floating around on the web that is almost the same except that it omits holding down the reset while powering on, which is what was screwing me up for the longest time. I followed the article to the letter and it worked so not sure what else it could be.

Yes ussually they will not connecttion.
Tricky is those step below
  1. Turn router OFF for 10 seconds.
  2. Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip.
  3. Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.
  4. Watch the Power LED. It starts with an orange color, and then start flashing.
  5. Count at least 10 flashing power LED and release the reset button.
  6. Press Enter to execute the TFTP command. Wait for a few minutes (be patient, do not reboot the router). When the upload is successful, the Power LED will turn solid. The rest of LED’s on the router will also turn ON indicating that the router has booted up properly.
If it not work you can do another way:
Power on RBR50 waiting to led ring blink white.
Hold the reset button until power led blink orange or red something and use Tftpd64 to flash stock firmware
4.png

9.png

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Hi, I just instilled RBK50-V9.2.5.1.10SF-HW, and I am thrilled to see someone working on the firmware (optimizing, fixing CVEs, since netgear (or the company they outsource to) is doing a poor job. There is one thing that I would love to see fixed (if you start adding new features). Currently there is no way to see bandwidth breakdown by device! Any chance that can be added? Seems like a crazy omission (and there is a long chain on it on netgear's forum: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Id...h-monitoring-by-device/idi-p/1627368#comments).

Thanks!
w0den

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!