What's new

DDNS and DNS-O-Matic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tarassippo

Regular Contributor
Hello, if I am not mistaken I can use the DDNS feature embedded in the firmware in order to automatically update my IP to OpenDNS, rather than using the Windows application (OpenDNS Updater) which sometimes doesn't get the IP address, no idea why...

Now, I have few things that are not clear to me:

1) Method to retrieve WAN IP: should I select 'internal' or 'external' ?

2) Host Name is all.dnsomatic.com, is that right ?

3) In the password field I can't use special characters as I get an error message after I click on "Apply", how come ?

4) WAN IP and hostname verification should be 'Yes' or 'No' ?

5) Should I select HTTP/SSL Certificate (I guess the free one from Let's Encrypt) or select 'None' ?

Tia.

Last edited:
Hello, if I am not mistaken I can use the DDNS feature embedded in the firmware in order to automatically update my IP to OpenDNS, rather than using the Windows application (OpenDNS Updater) which sometimes doesn't get the IP address, no idea why...

Now, I have few things that are not clear to me:

1) Method to retrieve WAN IP: should I select 'internal' or 'external' ?

2) Host Name is all.dnsomatic.com, is that right ?

3) In the password field I can't use special characters as I get an error message after I click on "Apply", how come ?

4) Should I select HTTP/SSL Certificate (I guess the free one from Let's Encrypt) or select 'None' ?

Tia.
  1. Do you have a double-NAT setup (router behind another router)? If yes, try external. If not, start with internal and see the results.
  2. Yes.
  3. What is the specific error? Care to post your password? ;) Don’t do it.
  4. Not necessary if you are just setting up for OpenDNS purposes only. Choose None.

1. No Double-Nat so Method to Retrieve WAN IP set to Internal.
2. as dave14305 said
3. Special character saves
4. No
5. None

Apparently the password field doesn't accept the character '&'...

Is there a way to set the password thorough the CLI instead ? Will it work ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Apparently the password field doesn't accept the character '&'...

Is there a way to set the password thorough the CLI instead ? Will it work ?

Code:
nvram set ddns_passwd_x="mypassword"
nvram commit

Not sure how the webui will react however if you go back to the DDNS page to make changes.

Thanks RMerlin, no luck with the CLI and at the end I had to change the special character from '&' to '!' and the registration was successful...

Lastly, does DDNS update the IP on a regularly basis (if so, how often ?) or only when it detects a change of the IP address ?

Tia.

Thanks RMerlin, no luck with the CLI and at the end I had to change the special character from '&' to '!' and the registration was successful...

Lastly, does DDNS update the IP on a regularly basis (if so, how often ?) or only when it detects a change of the IP address ?

Tia.

By default only when it detects a WAN change. Scheduled forced refreshes can be enabled and configured on the DDNS page.

Has anyone tried to use DNSOMATIC with two Asus merlin routers to update OpenDNS?

Apparently this does not work, as when Asusrouter1 updates its IP, the Asusrouter2 goes to inactive and stops working with OpenDNS. If Asusrouter2 updates itself, then Asusrouter1 goes to inactive in OpenDNS and it just does not work anymore.