What's new

DDNS "Forced refresh interval (in days)" setting not working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ech

Regular Contributor
I'm using 380.65 on an AC68U, and noticed that even though I've got DDNS set up, and it worked/ran on boot to update dns-o-matic, the router's now been running for longer than the configured interval (15 days) and there's been no update, nor any error in the logs to indicate that anything went wrong.

Should I wait one more day to see if there's an off-by-one issue happening here, or do others know that it's working as expected for them?

Thanks,
-ech

Well I did wait another day - and still no update. The router last updated the record at dnsomatic on Feb 16th at 5:22am and hasn't since then, now 16 days later, while the config I've set says it should happen every 15 days.. Known bug/issue?

It's quite possible that the dns-o-matic last update will refer to the last IP change. If the IP hasn't changed, then it won't update anything.

But isn't a "forced refresh interval" supposed to mean that it will attempt to refresh, even if the IP hasn't changed?

DNS-o-matic will record and keep track of each update, even if the IP hasn't changed... so the router hasn't attempted to register the IP again.

Since some services behind dns-o-matic require periodic "update" even if the IP hasn't changed, I guess I'll just make a custom script and put it in cron, since it doesn't appear that the built-in "forced update" is actually functional.

Since some services behind dns-o-matic require periodic "update" even if the IP hasn't changed, I guess I'll just make a custom script and put it in cron, since it doesn't appear that the built-in "forced update" is actually functional.
Please share to me when you make force update script ,because my ac88u force update not working like your case. Thank you.

Please share to me when you make force update script ,because my ac88u force update not working like your case. Thank you.
I used this, somewhat modified, script for dns-o-matic... as always, YMMV:

#!/bin/sh

# Update the following variables:
USERNAME=XXXXXXXXXXXXX
PASSWORD=YYYYYYYYYYYYYY
HOSTNAME=all.dnsomatic.com

/usr/sbin/curl -k --silent -u "$USERNAME:$PASSWORD" "https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=$HOSTNAME" > /dev/null

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1
else
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 0
fi

I used this, somewhat modified, script for dns-o-matic... as always, YMMV:

#!/bin/sh

# Update the following variables:
USERNAME=XXXXXXXXXXXXX
PASSWORD=YYYYYYYYYYYYYY
HOSTNAME=all.dnsomatic.com

/usr/sbin/curl -k --silent -u "$USERNAME:$PASSWORD" "https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=$HOSTNAME" > /dev/null

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1
else
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 0
fi
Thank you so much, will try this weekend.