What's new

DDNS update not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WayneNotBruce

New Around Here
The log just keeps returning these lines:

Code:
Jan 24 12:20:03 inadyn[11156]: Failed connecting to freedns.afraid.org: Operation now in progress
Jan 24 12:20:03 inadyn[11156]: Cannot find your FreeDNS account API keys

I tried changing my User ID to email. I tried the custom script with the direct url key and it still cant do the DDNS update. I'm pretty much stuck now. Any idea what's wrong here? Could it be an issue on afraid.org side?

The log just keeps returning these lines:

Code:
Jan 24 12:20:03 inadyn[11156]: Failed connecting to freedns.afraid.org: Operation now in progress
Jan 24 12:20:03 inadyn[11156]: Cannot find your FreeDNS account API keys

I tried changing my User ID to email. I tried the custom script with the direct url key and it still cant do the DDNS update. I'm pretty much stuck now. Any idea what's wrong here? Could it be an issue on afraid.org side?
Router model and firmware version, please.

Was it ever working? If so, did you do/change anything just before it failed?

Have you tried something along the lines of deleting the account and starting again from scratch?

(I’ve used the asuscomm.com built-in DDNS account for a couple of decades; it’s so quick and simple to set up that you’re left feeling you must have overlooked some steps.)

Was it ever working? If so, did you do/change anything just before it failed?

Have you tried something along the lines of deleting the account and starting again from scratch?

(I’ve used the asuscomm.com built-in DDNS account for a couple of decades; it’s so quick and simple to set up that you’re left feeling you must have overlooked some steps.)

Ummm, I didn't use freedns.afraid.org before. But my Asus DDNS was working perfectly. Duckdns is currently fine too with custom script.

Ummm, I didn't use freedns.afraid.org before. But my Asus DDNS was working perfectly. Duckdns is currently fine too with custom script.
There was one I couldn’t get to work; I think it might have been afraid.org (this was during the one and only very short time in all those years that I had a problem with asus DDNS). After all that fussing around and forum posts…., when asus DDNS did come back up, I realised just how deceptively simple it is to set up, and, since then, I’ve never looked back.

if your Asus DDNS is working perfectly, I’d say count your blessings and stick with it and save yourself lots of time and trouble.

Welcome to the forums @pandaman1784.

That's not how it works.

And who are you directing this to?

State your model, state your firmware, state the steps you're taking that are leading to the failure in your estimation.

Post screenshots (they help a lot). State if you're trying this with a mobile 'app' (not recommended), or with a browser on a trusted PC (and with multiple browsers, and/or cache flushing).

Test with stock firmware to see if it works.

RMerlin is a one-man show (Eric), it may very well turn out that the code that controls this is a closed-source blob that Eric has no control over.