What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One AX56U is updated to Latest Alpha1 and running solid 15h.

Today I climbed to my AX55 and reset it after upgrade from 386.7_2, it did not manage to auto add itself to my system as AiMesh after the upgrade.

Anyway, good job.

It depends a bit on the implementation if the router is up and after that the tunnel starts you can have a window where traffic escapes through the WAN before the tunnel is up, and if there is an error in the WG setup the tunnel might not function at all.
So although you do not need a kill switch as bad as you need it with OpenVPN , I still can imagine it is useful (also for peace of mind :) )

You can't put a price on peace of mind, id want a kill switch button even if it was not 100% required lol

I believe it's to do with parental controls.
Yep, that's it. I block my printer from accessing the internet. Thanks for the help!

Hi @RMerlin,

I use the FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG

Thanks
Commodoro
Hello,

update on DDNS in a double NAT environment with private WAN IP configured on the AX58U router.

I want to test the new relase 388.1_alpha1-g5fb71044da, to work-around the problem I then copied the contents of the In-a-Dyn service conf under /etc/inadyn.conf in the conf file under /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf (so overrides the conf under /etc/inadyn.conf) by adding within the section

provider default@freedns.afraid.org {
checkip-server = default
}

which instructs inadyn to make a call to the api.ipify.org service to resolve the public IP.

I hope it will be of help to the forum.

Hello,

update on DDNS in a double NAT environment with private WAN IP configured on the AX58U router.

I want to test the new relase 388.1_alpha1-g5fb71044da, to work-around the problem I then copied the contents of the In-a-Dyn service conf under /etc/inadyn.conf in the conf file under /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf (so overrides the conf under /etc/inadyn.conf) by adding within the section

provider default@freedns.afraid.org {
checkip-server = default
}

which instructs inadyn to make a call to the api.ipify.org service to resolve the public IP.

I hope it will be of help to the forum.
So your DDNS works Now?

I'm surprised this works, since checkip-server should have a lower priority than the interface, which is what is currently being used in the code.

checkip-command is what would have a higher priority.

I'm surprised this works, since checkip-server should have a lower priority than the interface, which is what is currently being used in the code.

checkip-command is what would have a higher priority.
Really has a minor priority, strange in this documentation https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn I have not found nothing about this, lucky strike :D

This is the conf that i use, I have deleted the iface line:

Screenshot 2022-10-25 alle 18.46.45.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-25 alle 18.58.25.jpg

This is the conf that i use, I have deleted the iface line:
That would be why then, if you deleted the iface parameter, then it can't override the remote server check.

The priority isn't really documented, tho the man page does state that command will override the network interface. I had to look at the source code to know the actual priority order.

Code:
        if (!get_address_cmd   (ctx, info, address, len))
                return 0;

if (!get_address_iface (ctx, iface,address, len))
                return 0;

if (!get_address_remote(ctx, info, address, len))
                return 0;

Did you happen to compare the Wireguard vs. OpenVPN client's speed ceiling differences, while keeping everything else (WAN, ISP, VPN provider) constant ? I'm really looking forward to switching to WG with the hope that the speed ceiling will be higher especially for the AX-58U (that's a little low for my liking with OpenVPN, specific to AX-58U).

Thanks for reporting, and to Merlin, of course.
Sadly my current connection is pretty archaic, 50DL/4UL VDSL2, so it is not possible for me to stress the limits of my AX58U.

This is great news @jakey - why I have been eagerly waiting for Merlin's finishing this build (can't risk an alpha and trying right now, as I'm working from home, etc).

My expectation was the even the low-powered AX58U will be significantly faster on Wireguard than OpenVPN, as AX58U is tricore and Wireguard is multithreaded - your 3x improvement over OpenVPN measurements made my day :) Thanks very much !

Quoting highlighting the data for @underdose:

Credit to @jakey
1666728420552.png

Last edited:
Mine populates with all the information as usual and doesn't freeze the page or the GUI in any way.
I used the Asus Recovery tool to flash the latest Alpha. So far everything is working as expected (all information populating)
I wonder if something got corrupted during the update or when Merlin switched to the 388 base

I used the Asus Recovery tool to flash the latest Alpha. So far everything is working as expected (all information populating)
I wonder if something got corrupted during the update or when Merlin switched to the 388 base
A miss-flash is common enough around here to cause people to think the new firmware isn't what it should be. This has been and still is nonsense for the most part. A miss-flash has many causes but your due diligence figured this out. Great work!

Is this new? I've never setup any port forwarding, but I've checked here a lot and I've never seen this until now. Does it hurt? What is it's function?

View attachment 45029

Well I have no parental control what-so-ever and I got this forward ever since last FW first time.

Well I have no parental control what-so-ever and I got this forward ever since last FW first time.
My entry was caused by my not allowing internet access to my printer.

Screenshot_20221026_143219.jpg

Ax88U*2+AX56 AiMesh System.
1 day uptime rock solid

After tests at Netflix.com the Wireguard connection is far better than OVPN, speed wise, on my AX88U. With my 150 by 75 true fiber ISP connection, Netflix says I get 78.4Mbps. They don't check upload speed obviously. Sweet!

Speed test on a quiet network.

Speedtest-by-Ookla-The-Global-Broadband-Speed-Test-Wireguard.png

Amazing actually!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!