What's new

Digital audio noise from Asus PCE-AC68 wireless PCIe card

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you own a PCE-AC68 wireless card, do you have or did you have audio noise problems

• Yes I had noise problems, but I found a work-around

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have never had a noise problem with this card

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xITguy

New Around Here
I have 2 PCE-AC68 wireless cards installed in 2 different computers, one in an Asus Z170-A mobo, the other in a Z170-Pro mobo. Both computers exhibit the same problem. When the wireless card is active, it generates a lot of static and pops in the audio channel. It is really noticeable when I do an internet speed test.
Asus recommended that I uninstall them, swap the cards and reinstall the drivers. I did that, and have installed the latest driver available from Asus for the card. Same issue still exists. The problem seems to be the amount of RF power transmitted by the card when it is active as I can hear the same noise when I am on a phone.
Any ideas on how to cure this issue ?

If possible try different slots on the motherboard for the PCE-AC68 wireless card. The proximity of the wireless card to the sound circuitry on the mobo could be a factor You could also try using a longer shielded cable for the external antennae farther away from the back of the computer. If none of that works then something in the design of the mobo or the wireless card could be faulty or prone to interference issues... if that is the case then instead of using the PCE-AC68 cards you might have to use external wireless routers or wireless bridges for APs.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC68/

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, but I had already tried moving the card to different PCIe slots. PCIe slot 1 near the video card is the farthest away from the audio processing circuits, and is the one I originally chose. The other slots get closer to the audio circuits, where one slot puts the card directly over top of them.
Lengthening the antenna lead is problematic as there are 3 antenna leads with a fixed length. Without resorting to buying extension cables, this is not an option at this time.
It really seems to be boiling down to too much RF power output from the card swamping the electronics through direct pickup. I even pick up the noise over my phone when I am near the computer. A computer sitting next to this one also picks up the noise, just as though they were connected to each other. Normally in situations like this, RF shielding would be applied, but then the transmission would not make it to the router.
Sounds like a firmware update is required.

Thanks for the reply, but I had already tried moving the card to different PCIe slots. PCIe slot 1 near the video card is the farthest away from the audio processing circuits, and is the one I originally chose. The other slots get closer to the audio circuits, where one slot puts the card directly over top of them.
Lengthening the antenna lead is problematic as there are 3 antenna leads with a fixed length. Without resorting to buying extension cables, this is not an option at this time.
It really seems to be boiling down to too much RF power output from the card swamping the electronics through direct pickup. I even pick up the noise over my phone when I am near the computer. A computer sitting next to this one also picks up the noise, just as though they were connected to each other. Normally in situations like this, RF shielding would be applied, but then the transmission would not make it to the router.
Sounds like a firmware update is required.

Same issue here. What did you end up doing? I'm guessing my warranty is up because I bought it a little over a year ago. The sound issue just started for me. It's coming directly from the wifi card, and I tried different PCI slots. The sound itself isn't a big deal but I'm wondering if its indicative of a deeper issue

Btw your poll needs a third option: I have the noise and don't have a workaround

Same issue here. What did you end up doing? I'm guessing my warranty is up because I bought it a little over a year ago. The sound issue just started for me. It's coming directly from the wifi card, and I tried different PCI slots. The sound itself isn't a big deal but I'm wondering if its indicative of a deeper issue

Btw your poll needs a third option: I have the noise and don't have a workaround

Don't bother looking for an upgrade or replacement for this card. I found that the problem was not really with the card being faulty, but with the digital data stream transmission from the antennas. The only way I could cut the noise down to a reasonable level was to dispense with the remote antenna mount and just screw the antennas into the card directly. You can play around with 1,2 or 3 antennas to see what works best in your situation. Using 3 antennas and the remote stand, the transmission was even getting into my cell phone.
Unfortunately, the hyped Asus big promise of great signal strength throughout the house is a bust, but I don't seem to be having any problems communicating with my router located on a lower level of my house. I get be 2 or bars on the Windows signal strength indicator, not the 5 bars I was expecting. Until Asus gets enough complaints about this issue and fixess the transmission mode, I think you are stuck with a noise generator. Had I known about this issue sooner, I would have opted for a less powerfula and expensive card.

I removed the antenna base, even with no antennas connected it still makes the same loud noises

EMI can be a bear to chase down - and consider that it might not be interference with the WiFi and the system board audio side - both are pretty well shielded...

If you're using amplified speakers, try moving them - or as a quick test, disconnect and use a set of headphones, and see if the interference is still there in the analog audio path - also consider the digital audio out and if the noise is still present there, then yes, it probably is on board, but I suspect this is external to the card and system board...

I unplugged every component except the wifi card, and the noise is coming directly from the card. If you google PCE ac68 noise, lots of people have had this issue and were told by Asus to RMA.

I unplugged every component except the wifi card, and the noise is coming directly from the card. If you google PCE ac68 noise, lots of people have had this issue and were told by Asus to RMA.

Sorry to hear about that - so might as well RMA the card, and see if the problem continues... maybe there is a bad batch?

Alternately - might consider the USB-AC68 - similar specs, and being USB, can move it away from the case and get a bit better wifi performance...

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't even aware of the USB ac68. The PCE ac68 does come with an external base with antennas. I think I may give the USB a try though

When every thing else was removed did you shield the card with Al. foil? If it decreases the QRN then the card is emitting EMI which shouldn't. Or it is sneaking through the PSU. No O'scope or simple RF sniffer probe? I wonder how that card passed FCC testing? Are those two desk tops have same type mobo, PSU? Could try on another totally different desktop? If it is EMI, not easy to solve the issue, if it is PSU power rail, chokes like ferrite beads may help.

i RMA'd the wifi card and just got it back from Asus. It's the same exact card. Still making the same noise but it's much quieter now and is at a tolerable level barely audible over my fans. Not sure what they did

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!