What's new

Diversion Diversion 5.1.2 - the Router Ad-Blocker, April 21, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Running small on mine without anything else.
Code:
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1018788     693368     325420       3120     148268     102712
-/+ buffers/cache:     442388     576400
Swap:            0          0          0
Then I just switched to large using the GUI and I get this:
Code:
Mem:       1018788     468684     550104       3144       2764      22416
-/+ buffers/cache:     443504     575284
Interesting? Maybe the switch cleaned something that will fill up in a few hours? I will look again in 24 hours.

So to this day... my GT-AX6000 has never used any portion of my swap file... I'm both disappointed that there hasn't been a use for it yet with all the pounding I do on this thing, yet super impressed that it is able to manage memory so well. Maybe I need to unleash AGH on this thing just to knock the rust out of my swap! :p

Still... it's good and important to have a swap in place, just incase. That's how the saying goes. ;)

Last edited:
I just switched from standard to large for the sake of science. No swap. Plenty of memory.
Code:
# free
Mem:       1018788     577800     440988       4484       3904      37912
-/+ buffers/cache:     535984     482804
My scripts run on routers older than some of the young members here. They have a meagre amount of RAM.
No matter what, it helps to have plenty.

Wait, how do we all know that stuff, we‘re new here ;)

What about running the large list on slightly less shiny and new routers, like the venerable RT-AC86U? I currently run the standard list (Diversion and Skynet are the only scripts I run), but all this talk about the large list has got me wondering why I'm settling for something… less large. Would it be asking too much of the RT-AC86U?

What about running the large list on slightly less shiny and new routers, like the venerable RT-AC86U? I currently run the standard list (Diversion and Skynet are the only scripts I run), but all this talk about the large list has got me wondering why I'm settling for something… less large. Would it be asking too much of the RT-AC86U?
Go for it. That model has been my main test router for years. Until it died of a common cause for that specific model.

Sheesh, I'd run large list when I had 68P blocking 1million IP's, although I'd never run pixelserve. :)

The blocking list update drops the cached data. See how the buffers and cached numbers decreased by a lot? With the new dnsmasq, memory usage is quite modest.
Yes, diversion drops caches when blocking lists is updated, in a way it maintains the memories size to not grow. I've been running diversion without dropping caches (b,2,2) instead letting the firmware manage the memory and it does reach to 97% at which point it drops some on its own when it needed. This has been how diversion lives in my GT-AX6000 and in this scenario of maximized memory it doesn't even touch the swap file.:)

Code:
Mem:       1018788     468684     550104       3144       2764      22416
-/+ buffers/cache:     443504     575284
Interesting? Maybe the switch cleaned something that will fill up in a few hours? I will look again in 24 hours.
Because I said I would look again 24 hours later running only DIversion, this is the new numbers for anyone curious:
Code:
Mem:       1018788     651852     366936       3428      77804     126196
-/+ buffers/cache:     447852     570936
I doubt anything major will change in a week from now, I will have a look but won't post here unless I see something unusual.

BTW without a swap file that mean I don't need a USB key plugged in anymore? I think I needed it for the uiDivStats IIRC.

Because I said I would look again 24 hours later running only DIversion, this is the new numbers for anyone curious:
Code:
Mem:       1018788     651852     366936       3428      77804     126196
-/+ buffers/cache:     447852     570936
I doubt anything major will change in a week from now, I will have a look but won't post here unless I see something unusual.

BTW without a swap file that mean I don't need a USB key plugged in anymore? I think I needed it for the uiDivStats IIRC.
It is true what they say about swaps, you don't miss 'em until you need 'em.

Attachments

• MCulkin slap face.JPG
    MCulkin slap face.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 11
GT-AXE16000 + 3004.388.6 (Signature current). SSD (don't use USB drives...) attached to the USB 3.0 port for default sized swapfile.
Scenario: Playing around with Diversion's 5.0 "Customizable Hosts". Everything running great with the two host lists (pic), added some more to have six, everything going great. Partner comes home, her iPhone won't connect to the WiFi, just spins waiting for router to accept connection request. My iPhone which was already WiFi connected, working great. I disconnect my iPhone, but then can't reconnect. We both tried "Forget Network", but no joy.
I tried to log into Router via SSH but rejected, via web-browser GUI panel, also rejected. Power cycled Router, nothing changed in symptoms, except now no LAN access connections either, and still could not SSH login.
Actions:
1. Did a Router reset: Setup router again (didn't use backup's).
2. After installing the six host list URLs, same symptom. Existing connections before adding the additional host lists worked, new connections didn't, including SSH logon & Web GUI.
3. Swapped out AXE16000 for another AXE16000 (was running as AiMesh unit) also with 388.6.
4. Did step 1 & 2 again on the new router. Low and behold, same symptom occurred as per Step 2.
5. Step 1 again. This time, as I added each host list, used my iPhone (iOS 17.3) to disconnect & reconnect to the Wifi. When I got to list 4 (which host list URL didn't matter), then the Wifi wouldn't connect, new LAN connections wouldn't establish. When I removed the host lists back to quantity two, everything ok again, new connections to WiFi and LAN worked as expected. Repeated this add & remove of Host lists, to prevent WiFI connection or make it work again, solid repeatable.
6. Large Scotch, with ice, to help rationalise what just occured over last five hours.

Thoughts on why increasing quantity of host URLs in Diversion 5.0 would prevent new WiFi, LAN connections, GUI & SSH lockouts?

1706835398161.png

6. Large Scotch, with ice, to help rationalise what just occured over last five hours.

Just wanted to make sure this truly was step 6, and not step 1, mistakenly? I mean, that could explain it. 😋

GT-AXE16000 + 3004.388.6 (Signature current). SSD (don't use USB drives...) attached to the USB 3.0 port for default sized swapfile.
Scenario: Playing around with Diversion's 5.0 "Customizable Hosts". Everything running great with the two host lists (pic), added some more to have six, everything going great. Partner comes home, her iPhone won't connect to the WiFi, just spins waiting for router to accept connection request. My iPhone which was already WiFi connected, working great. I disconnect my iPhone, but then can't reconnect. We both tried "Forget Network", but no joy.
I tried to log into Router via SSH but rejected, via web-browser GUI panel, also rejected. Power cycled Router, nothing changed in symptoms, except now no LAN access connections either, and still could not SSH login.
Actions:
2. After installing the six host list URLs, same symptom. Existing connections before adding the additional host lists worked, new connections didn't, including SSH logon & Web GUI.
3. Swapped out AXE16000 for another AXE16000 (was running as AiMesh unit) also with 388.6.
4. Did step 1 & 2 again on the new router. Low and behold, same symptom occurred as per Step 2.
5. Step 1 again. This time, as I added each host list, used my iPhone (iOS 17.3) to disconnect & reconnect to the Wifi. When I got to list 4 (which host list URL didn't matter), then the Wifi wouldn't connect, new LAN connections wouldn't establish. When I removed the host lists back to quantity two, everything ok again, new connections to WiFi and LAN worked as expected. Repeated this add & remove of Host lists, to prevent WiFI connection or make it work again, solid repeatable.

Thoughts on why increasing quantity of host URLs in Diversion 5.0 would prevent new WiFi, LAN connections, GUI & SSH lockouts?

View attachment 56137
I’ve had this experience. The list I added, despite what it said, obviously wasn’t Diversion compatible. It appears that breaks network DNS, & that breaks everything.
I removed the offending list, everything smiles again. :)

I’ve had this experience. The list I added, despite what it said, obviously wasn’t Diversion compatible. It appears that breaks network DNS, & that breaks everything.
I removed the offending list, everything smiles again. :)
Thanks and sorry you endured the same experience. Let me research further on which host list(s), caused the error, of the ones I was playing with.

Actions:

View attachment 56137

Might be interesting for you to list the 6 different lists you tried to add, and see if we can break our routers as well?

Just wanted to make sure this truly was step 6, and not step 1, mistakenly? I mean, that could explain it. 😋
Events of the evening may have been more "enjoyable", if I had started with the Scotch. Now a future BACKUPMON user, as the GUI pane of setting restore & JFFS works, but most scripts fail to operate correctly. Thanks for the App.

Thanks and sorry you endured the same experience. Let me research further on which host list(s), caused the error, of the ones I was playing with.
It was easy for me. I already had a number of lists that were working just fine.
Just had to mess + add one more. Broke everything. :(
Two lessons learnt for me, more lists aren’t necessarily better, & don’t mess with stuff that’s working ok & isn’t broken. :eek:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!