What's new

DIY custom-build router for pfSense

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barlo

New Around Here
I wish to look into doing a homemade router for pfSense, and would like recommendations for the parts needed. Router must be able to reach gigabit speed, and total cost of parts must be $300 or less. Since I do not want to fool with using the embedded version of pfSense, nor replacing the SSD every year, this requires build to have a CD/DVD drive, and a regular HDD (I'm thinking of the Western Digital Black 500GB 2.5" HDD). Also, I already have the Intel EXPI9402PT NIC, and would like to use it, if possible. My pfSense install-CD is 64-bit version, so I require this build to have at least 4GB RAM (more is better).
Parts advice within these parameters is welcomed.

Usually I point people to the Qotom build using this. But that won't work according to your requirements.
Another option would be this. It uses more electricity and is larger but it has room for your hard drive and your ethernet card. It comes with 4gb RAM and a CD/DVD.
Now it can handle gigabit routing but there is no guarantee because it really depends on what all modules you add on top of pfSense.

getting to $300 thats easy. a simple cheap 2nd hand desktop case, but i can tell you that you are the fool for thinking you'd have to replace SSD every year even if you use it for squid cache.
a 300W PSU from a decent brand
Intel C2D with DDR3 or 1st gen iseries (even the popular i7 920 will do). integrated GPU helps.
Some RAM
Your hard drive of choice
an inexpensive DVD drive (usb/sata)
a temporary GPU if the board doesnt have any (must be low power for PSU)
Intel Server NIC

a simple 256GB of SSD, the samsung evo or intel SSD has a good lifespan. You will need to write so many bytes that you would need at least 1.5 years of constant writing to wear them out. squid cache however writes untill full. Once full it just writes over the oldest stuff so its not constantly writing as with a cache data is read more than written. You will see around 5 years or more SSD lifespan if used as cache. My intel raid 0 SSDs still have 90% of health left after more than 1 year of use (according to intel's SSD tool) for OS and software.

Since you have the NIC you have some savings there. minimum CPU is C2D, avoid celerons and pentiums and atoms (if you want to use features other than just NAT). Also older gens dont have hardware AES and only the most recent gen has SSL acceleration. This only affects SSL performance and VPN performance (if AES used).