What's new

DNS-based Filtering and WAN DNS Setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarioCaires

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

Is there any difference between using one of the methods in the title to use a custom DNS?
The reason I'm asking is that, if I use DNS-based Filtering to use OpenDNS Home, Netflix is blocked on some devices (not all devices). But if I use WAN DNS Setting with OpenDNS ip, Netflix works on all devices as intended... What is the difference here?
Note: If I exclude the devices that are blocked on Netflix in the DNS Filtering page, they start working on Netflix...

Another thing that I noticed is that if I use DNS-based Filtering, and I go to Internet Status, it shows me the DNS from my ISP (not from OpenDNS), but if I open https://www.opendns.com/welcome/ it tells me I'm using OpenDNS, is this normal behaviour?
Same thing doesn't happen if I use WAN DNS Setting where it shows the correct OpenDNS ip under Internet Status.

Thanks in advance!

DNSFilter redirects DNS queries to the specified server, at the firewall level. It does not change the DNS servers configured on the router itself, and the biggest difference is that those redirections are enforced - clients cannot bypass them.

DNSFilter redirects DNS queries to the specified server, at the firewall level. It does not change the DNS servers configured on the router itself, and the biggest difference is that those redirections are enforced - clients cannot bypass them.
Thanks Merlin, appreciated your reply! So Netflix being blocked in some devices when using OpenDNS under DNS Filtering, I can presume it is something with the router firewall, correct? Nothing shows under General Log concerning the block, is there any other log I can use in order to find out why Netflix is being blocked?
Two of the devices blocked is my Panasonic TV and my Nexus 5, so they don't even have anything in common, unless being connected to the same router.

Thanks Merlin, appreciated your reply! So Netflix being blocked in some devices when using OpenDNS under DNS Filtering, I can presume it is something with the router firewall, correct? Nothing shows under General Log concerning the block, is there any other log I can use in order to find out why Netflix is being blocked?
Two of the devices blocked is my Panasonic TV and my Nexus 5, so they don't even have anything in common, unless being connected to the same router.

No idea, it depends on what you mean by "blocked". The job of a DNS is merely to resolve hostname into IPs. It does not do any access control in itself, and the firewall does not block any outbound traffic by default either.

No idea, it depends on what you mean by "blocked". The job of a DNS is merely to resolve hostname into IPs. It does not do any access control in itself, and the firewall does not block any outbound traffic by default either.
"Blocked" meaning I can't even login. Running the test on Netflix's app, there is no connection to the servers.
The only reason I can see to this issue is something related to OpenDNS itself, although I can't explain why the issue goes away when using OpenDNS configured under WAN!

"Blocked" meaning I can't even login. Running the test on Netflix's app, there is no connection to the servers.
The only reason I can see to this issue is something related to OpenDNS itself, although I can't explain why the issue goes away when using OpenDNS configured under WAN!

DNS can be responsible for geolocation id on some services like Netflix. I use a DNS proxy which (through some magic I don't understand) makes it appear as if I'm in the USA. The benefit is no special configuration or VPN overhead. Maybe the OpenDNS server you are using is resolving something different?