What's new

DNS redirect for specific hosts on LAN - RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello everyone, first post, first problem with Merlin (or Asus:p)

Device is RT-AC66U_B1, Merlin 384.10_2

Situation is that I want to assign certain LAN devices (children) to use OpenDNS servers, and rest to use ISP DNS servers.

What I've read from this thread and others correct way to accomplish this is as follows:

- WAN, set DNS to "Auto acquire" or set manually to ISP servers (tested both ways)
- LAN->DHCP, DNS servers set to blank
- LAN->DNSFilter, set DNS-based Filtering "ON"
- set "Global Filter Mode" to "Router"
- add desired device to list and "Filter Mode" to OpenDNS

Tried with my own phone for couple of hours (Galaxy S7), and seems that if "Filter Mode" is anything but "No fltering" or "Router" internet is cut out alltogether from it, and error displayed by phone is "DNS_probe_finished_no_internet".

I can't figure out what's the problem, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

And since I also have few custom rules in OpenDNS Dashboard, I also have DDNS set to update if and when my ip changes. This shoudn't be a problem? And as said, same thing with all the other servers in the filter mode list.
Check if Android is using Private DNS in settings, perhaps.

Nope, everything from DHCP.

Bit more testing reveals that my laptop suffers same fate if added to DnsFilter's list with anything else than "Router" or "No filtering".

Also forgot to mention that this project started with clean setup, reset to defaults and only basic settings (WAN, Wifi and username/password). And manual ip assigment to DHCP server for all 18 devices.

Just can't figure this out... should work but it won't :confused:

Assuming a Windows laptop, what is the output of ipconfig /all
Do you see the router IP listed as a DNS server?

What happens if you run nslookup dns.msftncsi.com

Fixed, but don't know how and why. Did one more reset and this time filtering started working, almost like miracle :D

Almost threw whole thing out the window.

Thanks and sorry for this.