What's new

DNS resolution failing when setting manual WAN IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

funkadelic

New Around Here
hi,

I was trying to access my DSL modem's UI via the wiki page here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Access-modem-Web-UI-on-WAN-port-(no-script)

My router (AC56U, Merlin 376.49_5) is @ 192.168.1.1 and my DSL modem's default IP is @ 192.168.0.1.

but when I set a manual WAN IP (192.168.0.2) and the AC56U applies the settings, all DNS hostname lookups fail until I revert it back. I'm able to hit my DSL modem's UI @ 192.168.0.1 but hostname resolution fails. This is what I've set up (note that under "WAN DNS Setting" I had to enter values, so I put in Google's public DNS servers). Image is attached that showed my settings

Is there something else I'm missing? I've tried my ISPs DNS servers for DNS Server1 and 2 as well with no luck. If it matters, I'm on Merlin 376.49_5

thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_031615_121403_AM.jpg
    Screenshot_031615_121403_AM.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 283
My router (AC56U, Merlin 376.49_5) is @ 192.168.1.1 and my DSL modem's default IP is @ 192.168.0.1.

but when I set a manual WAN IP (192.168.0.2) and the AC56U applies the settings, all DNS hostname lookups fail until I revert it back.
Hi,

I doubt that your public WAN IP is 193.168.0.2 - check this: Private Networks

Can you revert back to automatic WAN configuration and look for the correct WAN IP?
You will find it on the main screen (Network Map/WAN).

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

but when I set a manual WAN IP (192.168.0.2) and the AC56U applies the settings, all DNS hostname lookups fail until I revert it back. I'm able to hit my DSL modem's UI @ 192.168.0.1 but hostname resolution fails.
That is the expected behaviour. This configuration just gives you access to the modem, not the internet.

I doubt that your public WAN IP is 193.168.0.2 - check this: Private Networks
Check the wiki. He has to set his WAN IP to be on the same subnet as the modem to be able to access it.

Last edited:
That is the expected behaviour. This configuration just gives you access to the modem, not the internet.

Ah thanks for the clarification. The wiki page wasn't clear on that -- I was hoping to be able to access the modem & the internet at the same time.