What's new

Does asuscomm.com DDNS work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Question about the DDNS refresh function in the WEB UI (WAN -> DDNS)

I've set Forced refresh interval (in days) at 1 day.

Today (routers uptime now is >2 days) I've check'd the syslog but can't find any new ddns update entry. Last one was just right after the last reboot 2 days before ...

Maybe I should try a nvram reset first? Can't say for sure if I did that after the last FW update from 3.0.0.4_374.42_0 to 3.0.0.4_376.44_0, but except that issue I'm having no trouble with my RT-N66U yet.

Problem is, that I very sporadically get a new IP from my ISP when lease time is over (90 minutes) and I don't know, if the Router then will automatically connect myhost.asuscomm.com for updating my IP there, or if I'm beeing depending on this FW function for doing that cyclic ddns refresh, but if so, 1 day already could be too long and maybe I have to set a cronjob doing that every 1 hr for example - but I don't know the command to run such an update service ...

There seems to be a bug that causes the watchdog to crash, hence the lack of timed update.

EDIT: I'm unsure yet if this bug is present on all routers or just the AC87. Can you see if the watchdog daemon is running on your router? Run the following over ssh:

Code:
ps w | grep watchdog

EDIT2: I just tested it with a special build that waits minutes instead of days, and it was properly updating, so it's working for me. Note that this setting is mostly needed if your IP doesn't change often enough, causing your account to expire. The router should automatically update it every time your IP changes.

Last edited:
Many thanx for your fast reply!
:)

ps w | grep watchdog

Yepp, watchdog is running on my one too.

admin@RT-N66U:/# ps w | grep watchdog
424 admin 4836 S watchdog
1229 admin 1424 S grep watchdog
admin@RT-N66U:/
#

Now I have changed the interval setting from 1 to 2 days; maybe that gave him a kick ...

The router should automatically update it every time your IP changes

That's what I wanted to know. So let's wait what happens next days - anytime I will get a new IP.

Last edited:
ah - just to go sure:
If the watchdog timeout has come, that sould be noted as ddns update in the syslog too - correct?

ah - just to go sure:
If the watchdog timeout has come, that sould be noted as ddns update in the syslog too - correct?

It did in my test with no-ip, yes.

So is the server working now? The DDNS is not working for me right now. It has been working for a while. So I went to the DDNS setting and use the same Host name and applied again, but it said: "Request Error! Please try again." and I tried changing the host name but it's still not working.

Last edited:
So one of them in Asus support forum says that Asus is updating their servers which include DDNS servers.

So one of them in Asus support forum says that Asus is updating their servers which include DDNS servers.

DDNS ain't the only thing affected. Friday, I wasted a good 20 minutes trying to get access to drivers for a motherboard, as their search page would only return the generic FAQ pages, and faill to return the link to the model's support pages. I ended up using Google to land on the download page.

DDNS ain't the only thing affected. Friday, I wasted a good 20 minutes trying to get access to drivers for a motherboard, as their search page would only return the generic FAQ pages, and faill to return the link to the model's support pages. I ended up using Google to land on the download page.
Same to the way for me to search for the router firmware. There is no support button on Asus AC68U page, but I can use Google to search for Asus support pages. Asus should have announced this before they start updating their servers. I hope their servers will be back on soon.

Btw, do you have any forum that say how often I should factory reset my router because of NVRAM problem? Every firmware update? Every two firmware updates?

Edit: Ai Protection alerts are not working either.

Last edited:
I was wrong. I just had to restart the router and everything is working now.

Btw, do you have any forum that say how often I should factory reset my router because of NVRAM problem? Every firmware update? Every two firmware updates?

There's no general rule, it depends on what changes in a specific update. Personally, I rarely need to do so more than once or twice a year.

There's no general rule, it depends on what changes in a specific update. Personally, I rarely need to do so more than once or twice a year.
So is there a way to see NVRAM space left? In stock firmware? If not, what about AsusWRT Merlin?

So is there a way to see NVRAM space left? In stock firmware? If not, what about AsusWRT Merlin?
Running "nvram show" (either firmware) or checking the Tools page (mine).

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!