What's new

Does default dnsmasq configuration store LAN names?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisisbd

Occasional Visitor
I have recently replaced my old Draytek 2860n router with an Asus DSL AC-68U running Asuswrt-Merlin.

Currently DHCP/DNS in the DSL AC-68U is disabled because I run dnsmasq on a separate server. This is because the DHCP/DNS server in the Draytek router didn't store systems' names and I have quite a lot of systems on my LAN.

Can anyone tell me if the default dnsmasq configuration on Asuswrt-Merlin will store systems' names when they use DHCP to get their IP address and, more to the point, then allow looking up LAN IP addresses by using those names? I.e. if I turn off my DHCP/DNS server and turn on DHCP in the Asus DSL AC-68U will I be able to use the systems' names to access systems on my LAN?

Yes, dnsmasq on Asus resolves DHCP client names and IPs, assuming their leases are active/valid at the time of the query.

Just an FYI, since you say that have a "a lot" of devices on your LAN; the non-DSL version of the AC68U runs out of nvram fairly quickly when you start adding a lot of devices as DHCP reservations. Assuming that the DSL version shares most of the same software, and probably suffers the same issue, the YazDHCP AddOn is an excellent solution to the problem. It has its own thread here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...mit-on-the-number-of-dhcp-reservations.69247/

the non-DSL version of the AC68U runs out of nvram fairly quickly when you start adding a lot of devices as DHCP reservations.
That is not a problem any more as the DHCP client list has been moved out of nvram into jffs.

Just an FYI, since you say that have a "a lot" of devices on your LAN; the non-DSL version of the AC68U runs out of nvram fairly quickly when you start adding a lot of devices as DHCP reservations.
I probably don't have "a lot" of devices. What is a lot? I probably have a maximum of 40 or so, it's just "a lot" for my poor little brain to manage! :)

I probably don't have "a lot" of devices. What is a lot? I probably have a maximum of 40 or so, it's just "a lot" for my poor little brain to manage! :)
dnsmasq automatically registers a DHCP client's hostname in DNS without you having to do anything. You would only need to create a manual entry in the router's GUI if you wanted DHCP to assign the client a specific IP address or you wanted to use a different hostname rather than the one the client provided. The GUI limits you to 64 manual assignments.

Ah, yes, I misunderstood "...adding a lot of devices as DHCP reservations". That means actual manually entered ones in the router's configuration GUI. I only have 13 of them at present and I suspect some of them may be unnecessary.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!