What's new

DS413: 50 M/s write from PC, but < 1 M read.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

omnipheasant

New Around Here
I got a DS413 two weeks ago and have put three 3gb WDigital Reds in it. Writing to it I get 60 to 70 M/s, but reading from it I get < 1 M/s. This for large files, 300 to 600 megs. All components support gigabit.

This happens with any of our 3 windows7 pcs. The problem originally occurred over the network, but I have exactly the same results if I connect on of the pcs, a fast Lenovo W520 laptop, directly to the NAS with a cable. I also get the same slow read speed when I connect wirelessly.

Jumbo frames are off, MTU is 1500.

I realize there are a bunch of slow transfer threads here, but the ones I looked at didn't have a problem of this magnitude. Streaming is out and although I can write good backups using Acronis, reading a backup would be a drag.

I've put a problem report in, but Synology has not contacted me back after I told them I had connected directly to the NAS with a cable. I would really like to get this fixed, your help would be greatly appreciated!

Mega and M/s means what? Bytes/sec or bits/sec? Probably the former.

Nothing comes to me as to why the disparity in speed. Indeed, 1MB/s is something I've never seen, when the opposite direction is OK. I use Win7 Pro Home on a DS212 with no such issues. Is Win7 set to workgroup mode with HomeGroup disabled?

Some sort of windows security or workgroup issue is my guess. NAS has to be in the same workgroup, of course.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. It turns out to have been fixed with the very recent release of DSM 4.2, I get 60 to 70 M/s both ways. As far as I know, installation changed none of my settings, so I have no idea why my DS413 contracted the particular rare problem it had, but I'm satisfied now.

I got a DS413 two weeks ago and have put three 3gb WDigital Reds in it. Writing to it I get 60 to 70 M/s, but reading from it I get < 1 M/s. This for large files, 300 to 600 megs. All components support gigabit.
!

I just installed a new DS213 with two 2TB reds......can u share with me how you are measuring the read/write speeds?

Thanks

Thanks for responding. It turns out to have been fixed with the very recent release of DSM 4.2, I get 60 to 70 M/s both ways. As far as I know, installation changed none of my settings, so I have no idea why my DS413 contracted the particular rare problem it had, but I'm satisfied now.
So you had a beta version of 4.2?
4.2 was just released in the last week or so.
I've not read anyone had that odd problem you reported, in the Synology user forums or beta testers.

No, I had the last version of 4.1. I just got 4.2 yesterday. I was getting nervous at blowing $1K on a NAS and hard drives and watching it run like mud.

Well, I don't have this NAS, but I have been researching it pretty good, and I am nearly ready to purchase one. However, I have experience with the "slow read" problem. I would bet money that one of the new drives is marginal. I have had a similar problem with WD drives, new ones, that seem to have sporadic read trouble. They can write very quickly, but reading back the data can be quite slow, less than 1 MB/s. Eventually the problem drive will report SMART errors, and then die. Not a quick process... I have one right now that is exhibing the "slow read" for at least a year, and now it has started throwing seek errors and such. I have a replacement drive, and backups, ready.

Well, I don't have this NAS, but I have been researching it pretty good, and I am nearly ready to purchase one. However, I have experience with the "slow read" problem. I would bet money that one of the new drives is marginal. I have had a similar problem with WD drives, new ones, that seem to have sporadic read trouble. They can write very quickly, but reading back the data can be quite slow, less than 1 MB/s. Eventually the problem drive will report SMART errors, and then die. Not a quick process... I have one right now that is exhibing the "slow read" for at least a year, and now it has started throwing seek errors and such. I have a replacement drive, and backups, ready.

You're wrong, and fudding. 4.2 fixed the problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!