What's new

E3372H 4g dongle no longer working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

icanfly

Occasional Visitor
hi all

I have ASUS RT AX88U with firmware version 3004.388.6_2
I have a Huawei E3372h-608 dongle plugged in and Dual Wan Enabled so it will fail over to this when I lose my Primary Wan and Failback when Primary comes bac

I never really lose Primary so forgot about it but now today I see the Secondary Wan is showing as Network Cable Unplugged. The USB stick has a solid blue light which means its connected and I tested it on my laptop and yup working

in my WAN settings I had the USB set to automatic mode and havent touched it in ages but I noted that if I changed this to legacy mode, suddenly the Secondary Wan went from saying it was unplugged to Cold Standby so good!

however when pulling my WAN out it never moved out of Cold Standby. It doesnt need any connection settings to connect it up which is why it was in auto mode before but I thought maybe this setting to have legacy mode is new because I cant remember how it was setup.

I can tell you that I have poor signal in my house but I used to get 2mbps down from it before but the fact it stays in cold standby says to me its not even switched over to it? I tried making the USB the primary wan and still wont connect

Maybe its an ASUS firmware issue? I couldnt see any issues elsewhere about it not working. cheers

EDIT: Just noticed on the dashboard page even though it says Cold Standby it says no Device for USB but then after a second it will refresh and it will show there HUWAEI_MOBILE but then refresh again and its gone again. So maybe a bad driver or outdated driver? I hope the USB port isnt faulty. I tried plugging it in the front USB port but its not even detected maybe its not meant for that port?

Thing is it hasnt got a solid blue light so I will put it out of legacy mode now and back to how it was which is where it has a blue light but says disconnected!

Also I did see there is now a setting in WAN for USB to select the device but it doesnt have e3372 listed there. it does have E372 but then its still back to Network cable is unplugged again even though its got a blue light :( and its still showing HUWAEI mobile one second and then no device the next. I will have to test if the USB port works with a thumb drive I guess could be a faulty port

or have they removed support for e3372?

EDIT2: Nothing wrong with the USB port I plugged in a USB drive its stable as. I guess they removed support for E3372 why would they do that!

Have rebooted many times

Last edited:
hi all

I have ASUS RT AX88U with firmware version 3004.388.6
I have a Huawei E337J dongle plugged in and Dual Wan Enabled so it will fail over to this when I lose my Primary Wan and Failback when Primary comes bac

I never really lose Primary so forgot about it but now today I see the Secondary Wan is showing as Network Cable Unplugged. The USB stick has a solid blue light which means its connected and I tested it on my laptop and yup working

in my WAN settings I had the USB set to automatic mode and havent touched it in ages but I noted that if I changed this to legacy mode, suddenly the Secondary Wan went from saying it was unplugged to Cold Standby so good!

however when pulling my WAN out it never moved out of Cold Standby. It doesnt need any connection settings to connect it up which is why it was in auto mode before but I thought maybe this setting to have legacy mode is new because I cant remember how it was setup.

I can tell you that I have poor signal in my house but I used to get 2mbps down from it before but the fact it stays in cold standby says to me its not even switched over to it? I tried making the USB the primary wan and still wont connect

Maybe its an ASUS firmware issue? I couldnt see any issues elsewhere about it not working. cheers

Try setting your usb interface to usb 2.0 instead of 3.0 and see if that helps. Keep hdd hibernation disabled.

IMG_0180.jpeg

Support comes from the kernel version so if the kernel supports the device it should work especially if it used to work. They wouldn’t remove support for devices; Linux kernels tend to keep support for devices until the upstream maintainers stop supporting it.. even then it tends to stick around.

Edit: Some functions are not compatible with amtm entware like built in disk check and applications like download manager. It shouldn’t cause issues with a cellular dongle, but the built in apps use the older optware instead of entware which can cause weirdness. It’s an either or situation. I would suggest making sure you’re using the latest version of Merlin to make sure no bugs exist with earlier versions that could maybe cause issues.

I’m not that knowledgeable about the dongle to really help, but my gt-ax11000 supports cellular dongles. Perhaps try the dongle in a computer and see if it still works at all? Very poor signal maybe could be an issue.

Last edited:
Try setting your usb interface to usb 2.0 instead of 3.0 and see if that helps. Keep hdd hibernation disabled.

View attachment 56588
thanks unfortunately changing it to USB 2 hasnt helped. Thanks anyway!

I was still able to get the dongle to have a solid light showing connected but still wont work with the router to work as a WAN

I guess it leaves me with no option but to reset from scratch not really keen on doing that!

Suddenly the it might be working again! The Secondary Wan is Cold-Standby and the Device shows Huawai Mobile stable! Cant test it now as the wife is on a whatsapp call damm! (and the backup 4g if it works isnt good enough to handle that)

this LTE module was never working good with Asus firmware. It is working good with Fresh Tomato (not available for your router) but this module need to be in non hilink mode (firmware need be changed from hilink). if it was working for you it was in 3G mode not LTE :(
Only working good with Asus RT-N10U - no bag in Broadcom chip/ driver.

e3372 working w/o issues with not Broadcom routers like tp-link etc.

the best option for Asus firmware to have LTE modem via LAN connected.

the best option for Asus firmware to have LTE modem via LAN connected.

In some cases this is actually worse. Dual WAN in Asuswrt has more issues with 2x Ethernet connected WAN interfaces. Most people find fail over/back never happens unless the physical cable is unplugged. This is one of the issues the available custom script for Dual WAN is addressing. People with USB modem report more success.

hi all

I have ASUS RT AX88U with firmware version 3004.388.6
I have a Huawei E337J dongle plugged in and Dual Wan Enabled so it will fail over to this when I lose my Primary Wan and Failback when Primary comes bac

EDIT: Just noticed on the dashboard page even though it says Cold Standby it says no Device for USB but then after a second it will refresh and it will show there HUWAEI_MOBILE but then refresh again and its gone again. So maybe a bad driver or outdated driver? I hope the USB port isnt faulty. I tried plugging it in the front USB port but its not even detected maybe its not meant for that port?

Thing is it hasnt got a solid blue light so I will put it out of legacy mode now and back to how it was which is where it has a blue light but says disconnected!

Also I did see there is now a setting in WAN for USB to select the device but it doesnt have e3372 listed there. it does have E372 but then its still back to Network cable is unplugged again even though its got a blue light :( and its still showing HUWAEI mobile one second and then no device the next. I will have to test if the USB port works with a thumb drive I guess could be a faulty port

or have they removed support for e3372?

EDIT2: Nothing wrong with the USB port I plugged in a USB drive its stable as. I guess they removed support for E3372 why would they do that!

Have rebooted many times
I have just had a reply from ASUS: HUAWEI 4G USB DONGLE (Device name E3372-325) is not compatible.
"Ante todo queremos agradecer su contacto con el Soporte Técnico de ASUS Spain.
En respuesta a su consulta, le enviamos el link de compatibilidad de modem USB verificados. Por favor verificar los modelos de España dado que se encuentran lo de todos los países:
https://www.asus.com/event/networks_3G4G_support/
Lamentablemente el modelo que nos menciona HUAWEI 4G USB DONGLE (Device name E3372-325 Hardware version CL5E3372M) no lo vemos compatible."
KR

English only, please.

"First of all, we would like to thank you for contacting ASUS Spain Technical Support.

In response to your inquiry, we are sending you the link to the verified USB modem compatibility list. Please verify the models for Spain as they may differ from those of other countries:https://www.asus.com/event/networks_3G4G_support/

Unfortunately, the model you mentioned, HUAWEI 4G USB DONGLE (Device name E3372-325 Hardware version CL5E3372M), is not listed as compatible.

Best regards,"

I updated my original post as I put the wrong model number. I have a Huawei E3372h-608 dongle which is shown to still be compatible (it was working before as I said)

anyway I have tried everything and still can't get it to work. I see the Network map page when I first reboot the modem. Firstly it will say Secondary Wan Cold Standby but down the bottom it will say my USB 3.0 Device is detected as Huawei Mobile. The green light is also on for the USB 3.0 icon

Then it will refresh and now say Network cable unplugged and nothing listed under USB 3 and no green icon

Then it will refresh and still say Network Cable Unplugged but show again Huawei Mobile in the device list and green icon.

The solid light is on the USB stick indicating its connected to the network however if I pull the Primary Wan the USN 4g will not kick in.

I had a look at my logs and constantly see this:

Code:
Apr  3 17:00:10 kernel: usb 3-2: new high-speed USB device number 33 using ehci-platform
Apr  3 17:00:10 kernel: cdc_ether 3-2:1.0 eth8: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-ehci-platform.0-2, CDC Ethernet Device, 00:1e:10:1f:00:00
Apr  3 17:00:10 hotplug: add net eth8.
Apr  3 17:00:10 hotplug: set net eth8.
Apr  3 17:00:13 kernel: usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 33
Apr  3 17:00:13 kernel: cdc_ether 3-2:1.0 eth8: unregister 'cdc_ether' usb-ehci-platform.0-2, CDC Ethernet Device
Apr  3 17:00:13 hotplug: remove net eth8.
Apr  3 17:00:13 kernel: usb 3-2: new high-speed USB device number 34 using ehci-platform
Apr  3 17:00:13 kernel: usb-storage 3-2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Apr  3 17:00:13 kernel: scsi host205: usb-storage 3-2:1.0
Apr  3 17:00:14 kernel: scsi 205:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HUAWEI   Mass Storage     2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Apr  3 17:00:14 kernel: scsi 205:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
Apr  3 17:00:21 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(662): eth6: Disassoc D8:0F:99:37:9A:3F, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Apr  3 17:00:21 hostapd: eth6: STA d8:0f:99:37:9a:3f IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Apr  3 17:00:21 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(662): eth6: Disassoc D8:0F:99:37:9A:3F, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Apr  3 17:00:21 hostapd: eth6: STA d8:0f:99:37:9a:3f IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Apr  3 17:00:21 kernel: usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 34

So looks like my Modem does detect it as a high speed USB Device using ehci but then disconnects and then tries to connect it thinking its a CD ROM Mass Storage Device but then disconnects it again and repeats the same thing over again!

Hopefully someone knows how to fix this so it detects properly as a USB 4g modem!

In USB Modem / USB Tethering I have played with all the settings and got it on Manual atm and its a got a solid light which usually means its connected with the network. USB Adaptor set to Auto but as I said there is no option listed for E3372 and this used to work fine!

I have confirmed if I put the stick in a Windows Laptop it works fine and can surf the net with it. So either the USB port is screwed? Or something wrong with the kernel or drivers? It seems you can't use the front USB port for 4G dongles I already tried that anyway no difference!

So I did a bit of googling about the issue and it looks like the stick is not getting set in the right mode for modem. Have seen how you fix in Ubuntu by editing a 40_huwaei_rules for or something under /etc/udev but the firmware doesn't have that location or a file like that. Hope this is how to fix the issue just need to know how to do it! Its in the right mode when I plug it into the windows machine so the firmware of the router must not be setting the mode correctly

Thanks

UPDATE:
So I ssh into the router this morning and try running usbmode -s or usbmode -l and got the error:

Code:
json_object_from_file: error opening file /etc/usb-mode.json: No such file or directory
Failed to load config file

I googled then about the usb-mode.json and found one that supposedly works with the e3372h so added it:
Code:
"12d1:14dc": {
        "*": {
                "t_vendor": 4817,
                "t_product": [ 5339, 5340 ],
                "mode": "HuaweiNew",
                "no_driver": true,
                "msg": [  ]
        }
}

But now when I run usbmode still get the error:
Code:
Failed to load config file

So I am wondering, is the firmware supposed to be using usbmode for my dongle so it will put it in the right mode? And if so I guess it's supposed to have the usb-mode.json already present which it wasn't so need the correct file for this and then also the failed to load config file I need to sort out..

Is it possible my firmware has gone corrupted to be missing these files or is it an issue in the most recent firmwares?

Or if I can get my hands on an E3372 only not an E3372h-607/608 should that work since it doesn't need to switch the USB mode

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!