What's new

EA-N66 + RT-N66U: Peak speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sliverstorm

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to make the most of my wireless link between a EA-N66 and RT-N66U. Very large file transfers run about 200Mbps, but I'm hoping it can do better.

Stuff working in its favor:

- I am the only 5GHz access point in range
- After adjusting the router, the EA-N66 reports 100% signal quality

I logged in to the EA-N66 via telnet, and iwconfig reports a link speed of 405Mbps.

So, given the fairly good conditions, is there likely to be any more performance to be had, or 200 really all I can get out of 450?

Tips on what could be improved, aside from removing the wall? (If there wasn't a wall, I'd just use a cat-5e cable :D)

Edit: I should have added, I am running the latest Asuswrt-Merlin. Also, I just eeked out another 1-2MB/s by overriding the 5GHz channel to the lowest available, 36. I discovered a pair of very weak stations on 157, and I figure I might as well go with the lower number channel in hopes that it improves range and thus link quality. So, now I'm at something like 210Mbps! Just 240 more to go.

Last edited:
I'm trying to make the most of my wireless link between a EA-N66 and RT-N66U. Very large file transfers run about 200Mbps, but I'm hoping it can do better.

Stuff working in its favor:

- I am the only 5GHz access point in range
- After adjusting the router, the EA-N66 reports 100% signal quality

I logged in to the EA-N66 via telnet, and iwconfig reports a link speed of 405Mbps.

So, given the fairly good conditions, is there likely to be any more performance to be had, or 200 really all I can get out of 450?

Tips on what could be improved, aside from removing the wall? (If there wasn't a wall, I'd just use a cat-5e cable :D)

Edit: I should have added, I am running the latest Asuswrt-Merlin. Also, I just eeked out another 1-2MB/s by overriding the 5GHz channel to the lowest available, 36. I discovered a pair of very weak stations on 157, and I figure I might as well go with the lower number channel in hopes that it improves range and thus link quality. So, now I'm at something like 210Mbps! Just 240 more to go.

You're getting pretty much the same as me (give or take 10 megabits). I don't really think it's possible to get much more. I tested just normal file transfers and I average about 25 MB/s going through 3 walls at about 20 ft. I'm using 2 EA-N66's (one is the AP and the other being used as an ethernet adapter). I'm also using channel 40 and another low channel. The only thing left to try would be to try in the same room to see what the max could be and then see if there is a way to tweak but I believe that will be in vein. You will never get the full link speed performance wise over wireless.

You're getting pretty much the same as me (give or take 10 megabits). I don't really think it's possible to get much more. I tested just normal file transfers and I average about 25 MB/s going through 3 walls at about 20 ft. I'm using 2 EA-N66's (one is the AP and the other being used as an ethernet adapter). I'm also using channel 40 and another low channel. The only thing left to try would be to try in the same room to see what the max could be and then see if there is a way to tweak but I believe that will be in vein. You will never get the full link speed performance wise over wireless.

Well, good to hear I'm not alone in this experience at least.

You will never get the full link speed performance wise over wireless.

Haha, don't I know it, I'm just hoping HALF the rating isn't the best real-world!

Last edited: