What's new

Enable DHCP Forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gamefanatic

New Around Here
So I'm a newb when it comes to Linux. I just started using Merlin and need to know how to forward DHCP requests to my already existing internal DHCP server? I'm thinking this is something that I might have to setup on the interfaces? Any help would be appreciated!

You almost never need to forward DHCP requests. There are circumstances where it is appropriate but in a typical home setup with a single broadcast domain you wouldn't.

Can explain a bit about why you need to do this.

P.S. You should post Merlin-related questions in the Merlin forum.

I'm trying to forward requests to my Microsoft DHCP service. I'm more comfortable with that environment and has integrations with my Active Directory. I'm not familiar with all the options available in the DNSMasq service to get everything working like it does with the Microsoft DHCP service. I am transitioning from DD-WRT which just had the option in the GUI so I never thought about it.

There should only be one DHCP server on a broadcast domain (i.e. subnet). So unless the MS DHCP server resides on another subnet there is no requirement to relay anything. You just turn off the unwanted DHCP server on the router and let the MS server do DHCP and DNS.

Okay. So it's been a while since I messed with the DD-WRT, but I did some testing and found it's only the WAN clients that are not able to get an IP. So I'm assuming there is something that needs to be configured on that interface to enable DHCP requests to be forwarded to my server.

Ha! I found the problem! I suppose there may have been another issue earlier, but got resolved on its own. But the real issue was having to set up my own dnsmasq.conf file which was over-riding the web interface when I asked it to turn off. I removed that file and now things are working. ;)

Thank you for the support!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!