What's new

Enabling Both OpenVPN Servers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gragnous

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-N66U Merlin 376.47

I'd like to access my net from both Android devices & windows PCs using OpenVPN. Apparently Android will only work with a TAP configuration. And, apparently a TUN configuration is needed for the Windows PC to have full network access.

As such, I've got one OpenVPN server configured for TAP and the other configured for TUN. Either works when enabled exclusively, but they won't enable simultaneously. When I attempt to enable the 2nd server, after setting apply, router states "Starting the server...", "OpenVPN server daemon start fail!", "Please check your device environment or contents on advance setting page."

Is it possible to enable both simultaneously? If so, any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong?

Yes, both servers can work simultaneously. I am using similar configuration but my servers both are TAP. You should configure them on DIFFERENT ports.

BTW, Windows client can use both TUN and TAP interfaces. Official Android client can use ONLY TUN! I will appreciate if you provide me with information which Android client uses TAP.

Changing port # took care of it. Thanks!

Sorry, I mixed up the TUN & TAP. My Android devs are using TUN

Yes, both servers can work simultaneously. I am using similar configuration but my servers both are TAP. You should configure them on DIFFERENT ports.

BTW, Windows client can use both TUN and TAP interfaces. Official Android client can use ONLY TUN! I will appreciate if you provide me with information which Android client uses TAP.

Colucci's android vpn client does use tap, and even on non-rooted devices. It's not free, I spend five euro's on it, money well spend.

You can pay it and test it and if not working like you want you can return it and claim your money back.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!