What's new

Enabling Port mirroring Asus RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"TEE" was added by Merlin back in November.
Bear in mind that this isn't "real" port mirroring. It's only duplicating packets that are routed through the router. If you want to capture packets destined for the router itself you would be better off installing Entware and the tcpdump package.

Thank you for the advise and suggestion.
I'm not very familiar with Entware and tcpdump .... but I can study :)
https://github.com/Entware/Entware-ng/wiki/Install-on-asuswrt-merlin-firmware
http://www.tcpdump.org/
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/tree/master/release/src/router/tcpdump-4.4.0

Great topic and really good info, thanks!

Quick question: Is there a way to designate the mirrored traffic go out a specific physical lan port on the Asus router?

Hello all,
Not sure if someone already tried to do it on a Asus RT-AX88U, but every time I do the iptables commands, the router reboots.
Any idea?

I tried:

# iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -j ROUTE --gw 192.168.0.251 --tee
# iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -j ROUTE --gw 192.168.0.251 --tee

and

modprobe xt_TEE
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -s 192.168.0.1/24 -j TEE --gateway 192.168.0.251
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -d 192.168.0.1/24 -j TEE --gateway 192.168.0.251

(I need to reroute all traffic to Greycortex Mendel at my home lab for a training)

In both cases, the router rebooted after I applied the commands, sometimes right after the first or second command.

I'm using Asuswwrt merlin 384.19 firmware, but the same issue happens with stock firmware.

Hi all,

Can this functionality be built into the front end of Merlin? Actually, I do not think the settings survive a reboot, is that correct?

I would like to mirror all my traffic to a RPi running ntop.

Thanks

Jason

You could use a user script if you want the commands to survive a reboot. It's probably a bad idea to leave it permanently enabled though as I imagine it could have a noticeable impact on the router's performance.

I tried:

# iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -j ROUTE --gw 192.168.0.251 --tee
# iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -j ROUTE --gw 192.168.0.251 --tee

and

modprobe xt_TEE
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -s 192.168.0.1/24 -j TEE --gateway 192.168.0.251
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -d 192.168.0.1/24 -j TEE --gateway 192.168.0.251

(I need to reroute all traffic to Greycortex Mendel at my home lab for a training)

In both cases, the router rebooted after I applied the commands, sometimes right after the first or second command.

I'm using Asuswwrt merlin 384.19 firmware, but the same issue happens with stock firmware.
Hello Marcelo

I have a similar requirement and the same problem.

I want to mirror any traffic in-/outgoing from/to the internet through my RT-AX88U and send it to my RPI.
Have you found a workaround in the meantime? I am using the latest firmware 386.1_2 on a Asus RT-AX88U.
Is it maybe not possible/allowed to just use 192.168.0.1/24?

Regards
Polly

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!