What's new

Engenius ecB600: Best wall position vs atenna diagram?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xon

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

Sorry for my English but I will give it a shot:

Started in this forum because of my Asus RT66U router. Still, the router is just not the machine that can do the job in a house where there are so many walls and ceilings. So thats why I bought an Engenius ECB600 AP. I know power isn't everything but I just want to compare it to the Asus. Thereby the Engenius is white (so is my wall) with white antenna's and it can be mount to the wall easily.

I want to install the AP (believe me there is no other option) on the left down site of my house (2 floors). Like this:

_X_____________

X= Accespoint.

I want to have it beam up as much as possible (with omni direction antenna's) and get it out of the closet where the Asus was.

So the thing I was wondering: Whats the best position for an optimal (or best that is possible) antenna diagram to beam the signal up?

This is a picture of the Engenius ECB-600 AP: KLIK
It has to antenna's on one side for 2.4ghz and 2 for the 5ghz on the other side.

If I look on professional sides in buildings I always see it hang vertically to the ceiling just like this. Is that the best position to install the AP? And if so, one set of antenna's are facing down and the other one up. I guess that should make a difference.

Can't find anything about the antenna diagram so maybe you can help me with this one...

thanks!

Radiation pattern is perpendicular to the antenna orientation and in a donut pattern (weakest above, strongest straight perpendicular) for an omni directional antenna.

Most enterprise/business ceiling mount access points actually have dome antennas where the radiation pattern is heavily hemispherical (very little above, but very strong to the sides and below).

So it doesn't really matter how you have that access point mounted, just "aim" the antennas at what you want to get the strongest signal by pointing the antennas at a 90 degree angle to the client.