What's new

Entware Entware armv7sf-k2.6 EOS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
With the latest Entware updates released yesterday ends an Era for older ARM based Asuswrt-Merlin routers.
They go the same route as the very old MIPS based routers like the RT-AC66U that has not seen Entware updates for years.

The Entware team announced on their Website that
Our armv7sf-k2.6, x86-k2.6 and armv5sf-k3.2 feeds are EoS, no more further updates. Porting new software to ancient platforms draws too many attentions of our team. As usual, any package ever been created for Entware stays at bin.entware.net.

There is a brief discussion on GitHub that gives some hope for a limited backport support but nothing's been decided. This has been done for the MIPS routers for some time until the maintainer maurerr moved on to newer hardware.

Are you affected?
amtm shows the kernel version in its header.
My RT-AC1900P shows ASUS RT-AC1900P HW: armv7l Kernel: 2.6.36.4 and therefore will no longer receive Entware package updates.
This router runs the same Firmware as the RT-AC68U models and so they too are affected.

Does it matter? Probably not.
Newer ARM based routers with a kernel equal to or newer than armv7sf-k3.2 are not affected and will continue to receive updates.

Last edited:
It might matter to some. How does this affect Unbound?
No future updates for Unbound, AdGuardHome and so on. And maybe soon no more Asuswrt-Merlin updates too? We don’t know but it is possible.

As I have the stats from amtm legacy, there are still RT-AC66U routers out there that are in active use or newer models just not updated to the latest available firmware. With 380.70 firmware and Entware packages that have not been updated for many years.
If you care, upgrade your router model. If not, don’t come and complain.

If not, don’t come and complain.
Nobody complains.

This forum is a home for many, many people and I often have the feeling that I'm being included.
May I ask you, as one of the great developers here, why you still seem to want to support your own and other projects? The other great people/developers seem to have disappeared or you see very little of them.

Nobody complains.

This forum is a home for many, many people and I often have the feeling that I'm being included.
May I ask you, as one of the great developers here, why you still seem to want to support your own and other projects? The other great people/developers seem to have disappeared or you see very little of them.
Because I am committed to my projects. I see them as my hobby and generally enjoy further developing them.
And I use my own scripts on many ASUS routers and find pleasure seeing it in use.
amtm is also part of the firmware. When I was asked if it could be included by @RMerlin back then it was clear to me that my involvement here is long term.

Some move on to other hobbies, lose interest, have no longer time or are disgruntled about the sun shining squarely into their eyes.
You tell me.

AND...

AC68U Entware Deprecated 002.25.2024.JPG

Last edited:
Read the note they leave after updating:

I did the "optional reading" (trying to be humorous) and I should have been more clear.
I only gave the screenshot to show others what to expect and that there were basically "no updates" compared to the other builds and my other screenshot in the other thread, (which was more extensive).

It was meant as a FYI for those following the recent Entware update.

As always, thank you for your very large magnanimous efforts!

I'm treating this hardware like it's EOL. (closet backup)

It would make a nice museum display piece! :)
As well as the:
2x D-Link DIR-655 (one with repaired cap), 1x ASUS RT-AC66U, 3x Buffalo WZR-1750DHP (2 with DD-WRT)

It's hard letting go...🤣

As well as the:
2x D-Link DIR-655 (one with repaired cap), 1x ASUS RT-AC66U, 3x Buffalo WZR-1750DHP (2 with DD-WRT)

It's hard letting go...🤣
I‘m the same. And when I do return it to be recycled I will eventually regret it. More for sentimental reasons.

In Switzerland the purchase price for all electrical appliances and devices include a small amount as a recycling fee. When you‘re done with it everyone can drop it at any retailer to be recycled.

Kernel 2.6 is RT-AC68U and variants, no? They run on perhaps final Asuswrt release anyway. I see nothing unexpected. The only expected update will be EoL list.

Kernel 2.6 is RT-AC68U and variants, no? They run on perhaps final Asuswrt release anyway. I see nothing unexpected. The only expected update will be EoL list.
Are you familiar with the Cartoon, "Porky Pig...That's All Folks"

I'm not opposed to cannibalizing old units for certain parts. I have a wide assortment of AC adapters.

Recycling often turns to trash, how much is reused?

Recycling often turns to trash, how much is reused?

I run e-waste recycling business on a large scale. The best case scenario is indeed entire unit reuse. In my case about 45%. There are 3rd party investors in equipment refurbishment and donation channels. Entire schools in other countries run refurbished in my facility computers, printers, network gear, etc. We mostly focus on education.

SDK 7.x models were EOL a few months ago, however the RT-AC68U still isn't. I know Asus' general roadmap there, and all I can say without sharing the details that I know is that the RT-AC68U is not EOL, and isn't going to become EOL in the near future either.

SDK 7.x models were EOL a few months ago, however the RT-AC68U still isn't. I know Asus' general roadmap there, and all I can say without sharing the details that I know is that the RT-AC68U is not EOL, and isn't going to become EOL in the near future either.
Thanks goodness. The RT-AC68U is legend. Most of us “cut our teeth” on that great machine.

Keep in mind that the Entware maintainers are volunteers, and they do need to make the most of their efforts. As time moves, upstream doesn't stand still, and API's change over time. The older the BSP/SDK is, the more work it does become to keep things working...

Entware is optional, not required for AsusWRT or AsusWRT-RMerlin - some of the scripters here might have dependency issues with their efforts across multiple SDK's on AsusWRT, but that's another topic perhaps...

Thanks goodness. The RT-AC68U is legend.

I've got recently 20+ RT-AC1900P units for recycling, all in excellent condition. Going to check them one by one, load latest available firmware and keep them for the next charity event. I recently donated one to an employee. With all Trend Micro enabled they work better than my test RT-AX86U. Web History, Traffic Analyzer or Client List freeze randomly on it in few weeks or less uptime. RT-AC1900P just keeps going until next firmware update. Continued support is excellent news. 👍

Update: Asus announced EoL for RT-AC68U and variants, routers back for recycling... :confused:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!