What's new

Erratic Wireless Connections After Installing 378.49 and 51

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doggyofone

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus RT-AC66U, currently running 378.51
I generally install the firmware releases as they are available and have not had any issues in the past. I've been away for a month and a half. During that time my kids (at home) have complained about dropped wireless. I advised them to unplug router and modem and how to start them up again - this did not help. When I got home yesterday I confirmed the problem on devices that had worked fine for me during my trip away. I changed the firmware to 378.51 to try to resolve problems with dropped wireless connections. All wireless devices in the house, including tablets, phones, streaming devices, laptops, etc. are still having issues with dropped wireless connections. I've tried to diagnose the problem, but can't find a reason. I haven't changed the settings between firmware upgrades. This seems to have started for me as of 378.49.
I'm planning on a factory reset, followed by a firmware upgrade to 378.51, but don't want to do anything prior to doing this without double checking with the helpful people on this site. If you see a problem with this step, please let me know. If I'm taking a bit to drastic a step I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
Note that Ethernet is working fine.

Thanks

I am having the same issue on the RT-N66U, Updated the firmware to 378.51. Now every wireless device in my house is having issues. They either will not connect, connect but no internet, or connect but slow internet. I've downgraded to 378.49.5 but no fix. Ordered a new N66U from amazon to see if its a bad router should be here today.

I went ahead and did a factory reset on 378.51 and went through the router set up. After finishing up I rebooted and the router came up problem free afterwards. No issues since. I found these instructions somewhere:
Basic troubleshooting steps are:
1. Update the firmware
2. After the firmware update, reset the router to factory defaults (Try resetting it to factory defaults through the WPS button. Turn the router off. Press the WPS button. While keeping it pressed, turn it on. Wait about 5 secs, then release the WPS button).
3. Reconfigure the router from scratch
4. Remove all of your old wireless profiles from computers, phones, etc
5. Make sure 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz have unique SSIDs
6. For 2.4 Ghz, change the channel width to "20 Mhz"
7. Change the 2.4 Ghz channel with the help of inSSIDer
8. If you have cascaded your Asus router to another router, make sure it is not double natting on the same subnet. (Change the Asus IP address to something like 192.168.9.1) or use AP mode instead.

Worked for me.