What's new

Excluding Pinterest results from Google

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bogey

Regular Contributor
I've installed Diversion and Skynet with amtm (thank you @thelonelycoder) and although the rubbish on pages is almost all gone, there's still some rubbish (imo) in Google's search results: Pinterest.

I know I can exclude it by adding:
Code:
-site:pinterest.com
to Google's query. But sometimes I'm using my mobile phone and it would be FANTASTIC if -site: pinterest.com could be added automatically to the query.

Can I achieve that with Diversion either/or Skynet? Or perhaps adding a rule to the firewall manually?

Blacklist it through Diversion. Open Diversion, edit lists (el), edit Blacklist (2), add domain (1).

I just tried it, not previously having added anything into the blacklist, and I added:
pinterest.com
and the same with www. in front
and also the .co.uk variations

and made sure I continued to process the new blocked domains.

After clearing the browser caches it all works as designed: blocked!

I think @Bogey is asking for Pinterest to be excluded from Google's search results, not that the site should be blocked. If so then I don't think that's possible. You're asking for a way to dynamically change the contents of a browser's HTTPS request. For that you'd need to use a proxy server.

I've installed Diversion and Skynet with amtm (thank you @thelonelycoder) and although the rubbish on pages is almost all gone, there's still some rubbish (imo) in Google's search results: Pinterest.

Code:
to Google's query. But sometimes I'm using my mobile phone and it would be FANTASTIC if -site: pinterest.com could be added automatically to the query.

Can I achieve that with Diversion either/or Skynet? Or perhaps adding a rule to the firewall manually?
No, Skynet and Diversion act on the router level and don't see the IP packets sent by devices or applications.

I think @Bogey is asking for Pinterest to be excluded from Google's search results, not that the site should be blocked. If so then I don't think that's possible. You're asking for a way to dynamically change the contents of a browser's HTTPS request. For that you'd need to use a proxy server.
That's correct.
No, Skynet and Diversion act on the router level and don't see the IP packets sent by devices or applications.
I understand.
So aside of Skynet of Diversion, would there be a way to change the query from
https://www.google.com/search?q=whatever
to
https://www.google.com/search?q=whatever+-site:pinterest.com
A proxy as Colin mentioned?

Code:

Maybe try using ‘Duck Duck Go’ as a search engine?

Nope, still pinterest results (particularly with searching for images).

I think so too.

Yes that's it! I found a script for Tamper Monkey on Firefox.

Glad you got it sorted. Could you include a link for the script: there’s probably many who, like me, have never heard of Tamper Monkey, and are interested to learn more.

Glad you got it sorted. Could you include a link for the script: there’s probably many who, like me, have never heard of Tamper Monkey, and are interested to learn more.
Sure, here it is:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1682-google-hit-hider-by-domain-search-filter-block-sites

I found something else that suits me even better, it's a filter for Ublock Origin / Adguard.
Advantage over the Tampermonkey solution is that it works for Safari and other browsers that don't have Tampermonkey.
Code:
google.com###search .g:has(cite:has-text(/https?:\/\/.*\.pinterest\.com/))
It excludes from Google's main search, however, not from Google's image search.

What happens if you simply append -pinterest to the search term?

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433?hl=en

Sure, that’d work every time and Bogey says that, but he doesn’t want to have to exclude it by adding:
Code:
into every search, especially those on his phone. He wants to do it automatically.

The thing I find strange is I’d never heard of pinterest until I saw this topic. In all the thousands of Google searches I’ve made over the years, pinterest has never once cropped up. So I wonder why one person is plagued by it in every Google search and another person’s never seen a single instance of it?

The thing I find strange is I’d never heard of pinterest until I saw this topic. In all the thousands of Google searches I’ve made over the years, pinterest has never once cropped up. So I wonder why one person is plagued by it in every Google search and another person’s never seen a single instance of it?
:)
I'm wondering the same thing!

Ok, but first: I'm not plagued by it in every Google search.
But nevertheless still often. Perhaps it's because Google thinks I might be interested in Pinterest crap? My wife, a graphic designer, used to use Pinterest a lot (not anymore because of the stupid useless results in Google and she found a different tool). Pinterest was/is a hot thing in graphic designer land; they use it to create mood boards.
I think it's useless crap, because it doesn't present the real source of the searched information/images, but a copy or "pin" (or whatever).
So... perhaps Google decides to present me with that crap because of our shared IP address. I don't know...

I think you're a lucky man, not ever been plagued by Pinterest. But for your amusement, do a search on excluding pinterest from google search results and you'll find a ton of people who want to achieve the same peace and quiet from this 'tormentor'.
:D

Edit: oh if you've never been plagued, don't sign up to check it out, maybe you'll get flooded by it too. ;)

:)
I'm wondering the same thing!

Ok, but first: I'm not plagued by it in every Google search.
But nevertheless still often. Perhaps it's because Google thinks I might be interested in Pinterest crap? My wife, a graphic designer, used to use Pinterest a lot (not anymore because of the stupid useless results in Google and she found a different tool). Pinterest was/is a hot thing in graphic designer land; they use it to create mood boards.
I think it's useless crap, because it doesn't present the real source of the searched information/images, but a copy or "pin" (or whatever).
So... perhaps Google decides to present me with that crap because of our shared IP address. I don't know...

I think you're a lucky man, not ever been plagued by Pinterest. But for your amusement, do a search on excluding pinterest from google search results and you'll find a ton of people who want to achieve the same peace and quiet from this 'tormentor'.
:D

Edit: oh if you've never been plagued, don't sign up to check it out, maybe you'll get flooded by it too. ;)
Many thanks. You got me frightened now to even dig deeper in case I get linked to pinterest. I’m wondering if it’s because you’re signed in (knowingly or unknowingly) to your browser, and what happens if you use a browser in incognito mode?

Yes, you're probably right -- a cookie may have been dumped. Since I've cleaned up my cache since starting this thread, the pinterest results are at an absolute low. Fingers crossed!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online