What's new

Extending a ASUS AC3200 with a AC1200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TommyCnnn

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT AC 3200 Router and want to extend it, via Ethernet, with an AC1200 (I already have both bits of kit) because I have a wide area to cover

Could someone help me out with the best way to configure them so that DNS etc doesn't clash. I also want to have the same SSID across both routers.

I'm on BT Infinity Broadband, using a OpenReach Modem

Many thanks

I have an ASUS RT AC 3200 Router and want to extend it, via Ethernet, with an AC1200 (I already have both bits of kit) because I have a wide area to cover

Could someone help me out with the best way to configure them so that DNS etc doesn't clash. I also want to have the same SSID across both routers.

I'm on BT Infinity Broadband, using a OpenReach Modem

Many thanks

Log into the AC1200. Once in the AC1200 Select Administration > (Administration - Operation Mode) select AP mode. The router will / should prompt you for information (it will disable DHCP etc), and turn it into a layer 2 device.

Changing SSID's: Log into the AC1200. Once in the AC1200 Select Wireless (Wireless - General) change Network Name - SSID.

Log into the AC1200. Once in the AC1200 Select Administration > (Administration - Operation Mode) select AP mode. The router will / should prompt you for information (it will disable DHCP etc), and turn it into a layer 2 device.

Changing SSID's: Log into the AC1200. Once in the AC1200 Select Wireless (Wireless - General) change Network Name - SSID.

Thanks very much for the quick response. I will give this a try.

I just found the time to set this up - it worked perfectly. Thank you.

One additional piece of info for anyone doing the same, once the 1200 router is set up as an AP, I couldn't figure out how to log back into it. Eventually I realised that the IP was 192.168.1.202, but also that it could be accessed by clicking on its IP address in the device list on the main router's admin console

I just found the time to set this up - it worked perfectly. Thank you.

One additional piece of info for anyone doing the same, once the 1200 router is set up as an AP, I couldn't figure out how to log back into it. Eventually I realised that the IP was 192.168.1.202, but also that it could be accessed by clicking on its IP address in the device list on the main router's admin console

Have you noted bandwidth loss since doing this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!