What's new

Random rebooting RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pgoesinya

Occasional Visitor
Hello everybody, I am new here as I am at the end of my rope. I am an advanced user and maintain my own LAN so you can talk technically with me.

I have an RT-AC3200 and as of week ago Spectrum upgraded my internet speed from 300Mbps to 500Mbps and consequently they had to replace my cable modem as the older one didn't support the 500Mbps speeds. I received a new cable modem from them and installed it. Ever since then my RT-AC3200 is randomly rebooting. I can find no rhyme or reason behind it as I've not changed any settings in the router, I simply replaced the cable modem. When it's up, it works great and speeds are quite fast, but the reliability has tanked but I don't think it's hardware since it ONLY started occurring after I changed the cable modem.

I do appreciate any insights that anybody might have.

Model: RT-AC3200
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.382_52545 (though I have flashed everything from the latest to several older ones looking for a causation)
Cable Modem: Spectrum ES-2251

Download the syslog and filter it for "WAN" (without the quotes). Are there any WAN events at the times the disconnects happen?

Hello and tyvm for getting back to me.

No, there are NO events logged before the reboots and there are no indications of when it will happen. It's very random, but I will show you the couple WAN entries I get when it comes up and then there are no more WAN entries:

May 5 00:05:06 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly. (this is normal and has always happened at boot time)
May 5 00:05:07 wan: finish adding multi routes
May 5 00:05:07 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

Also, I am in the midst of a hard reset and I am rebuilding all the entries instead of restoring the configuration in case there could have been something not agreeing with the new modem, though I can't think of a single thing that should cause this to start occurring.

Also, to be clear, its NOT a disconnect, it's a reboot for no apparent reason. I have of course ruled out scheduled reboots via the scheduler.

First, you are running an old, EOL router model with very insecure firmware for late 2023.

Secondly, have you tried using a new known/good power supply with the same plug/end, Voltage, and equal or higher Amperage than what the router shipped with?

Thirdly, have you tried blowing out any dust within the router?

This sounds like a power and/or overheating issue with the greater demands the higher ISP speeds bring.

Myself, I would be looking for a better router.

The RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U /pro and GT-AX6000 will all give your network a huge upgrade in performance, stability, and security.

@L&LD

First: Yes, I know it's an older router, but I am broke right now.
Second: Yes, I have an equal power supply, so it isn't that either (and again, only started when I changed cable modems)
Third: Yes, I did blow it out just now as it was a but dusty and also it does sit on a dedicated cooling pad that is fully operational and blowing air, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

But thinking ahead to your final suggestions, what are your thoughts on an RT-AX88U? I have a tight budget as I am unemployed right now...

Thanks for your time.

Pete

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I hope it turns around very quickly for you!

The RT-AX88U is also a good match for you, just stick to using Ports 1-4 (only), and just ignore Ports 5-8 (may turn your stable network buggy, when these ports are in use).

As I (wanted to) imply above, any one of those routers in your budget will work wonders for your network experience.

Ok, just to give a final update, the full factory reset and setup from scratch hasn't changed anything, but at least I was able to rule it out. A full cleaning hasn't changed anything either, but the device never ever got hot in its life sitting on that cooling pad, so, I suppose we can chalk it up to the cable modem sending some burst of packets or something that the router doesn't recognize, that's all I can come up with.

Looks like I can get a decent deal on an RT-AX88U Pro, so I will limp along in the interim.

Appreciate the time and suggestions, @L&LD

Kind regards,

Pete

Figured I'd give another update. Oddly, I have 36 hours of uptime now whereas I couldn't get more than 3-4 hours of uptime at the time I made this posting.

The only steps taken were the thorough cleaning of the device and the cooling pad it sits on AND a hard factory reset and manual setup again (i.e. I didn't restore a saved configuration). The only other thing that is changed in the last 36h is that my wife and child went out of town to visit family for the holiday. My usages haven't changed as everything I do everyday is still being done and devices that are hooked up are all in use as they normally would be. Somehow, I am thinking my wife's Macbook is the issue but I can't point to anything specific or why I believe that.

Unfortunately, I can't point to anything being the issue because there is no way for me to prove something, I'll continue to monitor while I try to scrape together enough for a newer/supported device.

Peter

Last update for the inquiring minds. I am now the proud owner of a RT-AX88U Pro, I'll figure out how to pay for it later. 😂

So far I don't notice any performance differences in terms of speed, but at least the firmware is current and certainly offers a bit more in terms of features.

Thanks again for the suggestions, it's too bad that these routers aren't supported longer. Maybe the Merlin firmware would have offered more current security?

Pete