What's new

Extension Channel issue, keeps reverting back to "Auto"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OpTicaL

Occasional Visitor
Using firmware 3.0.0.4.370_172

For 2.4GHz my settings are,

Wireless Mode - Auto
Channel bandwidth - 40MHz
Control Channel - 5
Extension Channel - Lower

But whenever I set my Extension Channel to lower or upper (and click Apply) it always reverts back to "Auto". Is there anyone else experiencing this issue?

Hi,
After you change settings, are you sure you are hitting the apply button? There is not really much gained using 40MHz B/W on already crowded 2.4GHz spectrum in most cases.

Yes I'm sure because a bubble pops up showing percentage completion.

If I don't set it to 40MHz devices will not connect at 300Mbps but at 144Mbps instead.

I recently upgraded from a WRT54GL w/ DD-WRT.

I attached a picture and you'll see what I mean.

Attachments

• auto.jpg
    auto.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 599
Can someone with RT-N66U post a screenshot of their General Wireless settings?

I tried them all, 20MHz, 40MHz, 20/40MHz, none allows me to select Extension Channel (Upper/Lower), Auto remains the only option.

Hi,
Try avoiding auto settings.

Can someone with RT-N66U post a screenshot of their General Wireless settings?

I tried them all, 20MHz, 40MHz, 20/40MHz, none allows me to select Extension Channel (Upper/Lower), Auto remains the only option.

Mine lets me select it until I click save then it says AUTO. But in reality upper or lower doesn't help so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine lets me select it until I click save then it says AUTO. But in reality upper or lower doesn't help so I wouldn't worry about it.

That's the exact same issue I'm having and was wondering if it was a bug. Since it's not only me I guess it's normal.

I received the N66U a few days ago and just wanted to catch up on all the latest news and updates regarding this router.

Hi,
Try avoiding auto settings.

Have you read the OP?

Last edited:
Hi,
Just set the b/w to 20MHz and try and you know why it works. I never use 40MHz b/w on 2.4GHz . That is bad habit.

Hi,
Just set the b/w to 20MHz and try and you know why it works. I never use 40MHz b/w on 2.4GHz . That is bad habit.

sm00thpapa already answered my question.

I don't mean to be blunt but maybe you should read the OP next time, because you totally missed the point, twice.

I wasn't asking if 20MHz, 40MHz or 20/40MHz works better.

My question was about Extension Channel NOT Channel bandwidth. :rolleyes: