What's new

Family setup in RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kanchan Ray

Occasional Visitor
The Asus App allows setting up of family members and assign devices to them. Is that feature somehow accessible or available from the router web portal too? If not - what's the way to edit/add family etc outside of the App?
Thanks,

The Asus App allows setting up of family members and assign devices to them. Is that feature somehow accessible or available from the router web portal too? If not - what's the way to edit/add family etc outside of the App?
Thanks,

Look under Parental Controls in the router webUI.

OE

Sorry OE, (I hope I am not missing something obvious), but I do NOT see any options under Parental Control for this. I only see the individual device wise setups and 2 options - 1) Web & App filters and 2) Time scheduling. None of them allows me to define a family member and link devices to the family member - only the Mobile App does that. I am using the stock f/w.
Thanks for your help.

Sorry OE, (I hope I am not missing something obvious), but I do NOT see any options under Parental Control for this. I only see the individual device wise setups and 2 options - 1) Web & App filters and 2) Time scheduling. None of them allows me to define a family member and link devices to the family member - only the Mobile App does that. I am using the stock f/w.
Thanks for your help.

Must be an app only feature then. Sorry, I don't use the app.

What does assigning family members to devices accomplish? Maybe it's not in the router because it doesn't do anything routing-wise?

OE

Last edited:
Must be an app only feature then. Sorry, I don't use the app.

What does assigning family members to devices accomplish? Maybe it's not in the router because it doesn't do anything routing-wise?

OE

I have defined some groups (media devices, assistants-alexa, kids etc.) and added devices under that. So, it allows me to enable/disable all devices to that group in 1 click :) I found it handy - hence wanted to see if I can access from the WebUI also. Thanks,

I have defined some groups (media devices, assistants-alexa, kids etc.) and added devices under that. So, it allows me to enable/disable all devices to that group in 1 click :) I found it handy - hence wanted to see if I can access from the WebUI also. Thanks,

That may only be an app feature... I can't see where to do that so neatly in the router webUI.

OE

When you say family setup, that is usually taken as parental control.

Perhaps you just want to associate their devices to a helpful name.

For me this breaks down into two categories:

1) Devices getting an IP address from the DHCP pool (my pool is .10 to .99). The only way I know how to do this is by editing an nvram variable called custom_clientlist

2) Devices getting an IP address from the router's DHCP with a name and address of my choosing (my range is .100 to .254). This is in the GUI under LAN -> DHCP Server -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list

When you say family setup, that is usually taken as parental control.

Perhaps you just want to associate their devices to a helpful name.

For me this breaks down into two categories:

1) Devices getting an IP address from the DHCP pool (my pool is .10 to .99). The only way I know how to do this is by editing an nvram variable called custom_clientlist

2) Devices getting an IP address from the router's DHCP with a name and address of my choosing (my range is .100 to .254). This is in the GUI under LAN -> DHCP Server -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list

Actually, I wanted to create a group (with a name - either family member or say Media devices) and add devices to that group. Then do the parental control for that group as a whole. Currently - in the Web UI - I have to do this for each device - there is no way to group them... at least I could not find. Cheers!

I've found the same. I use the app to group my each kid's devices into a group and then I can manage the access times easily.

Well I could! Since the last firmware update when I activate the time scheduling (via app or router) it blocks them even if in a valid period.

I've found the same. I use the app to group my each kid's devices into a group and then I can manage the access times easily.

Well I could! Since the last firmware update when I activate the time scheduling (via app or router) it blocks them even if in a valid period.

Yep,

Worked perfectly on my AC68U with the old firmware. Brought the AX88U, installed the new firmware, and this feature is now broken. As you said, any device you schedule gets blocked permanently.

Did you install the previous firmware to get it working?

Nope. I pondered it but haven't. When I want to close out wifi I do it manually on the app.

If it's not fixed in a few weeks then I may roll back.

Same issue here, with RT-AX88U.

Time scheduling seems to be broken.

Sometimes it works, but sometimes it blocks the entire network (wired & wireless) though I only set the time scheduling to only one wireless device.

When time scheduling is turn on / off, firewall or NAT settings are messed up ? I don't know.
Reboot is required to fix the network blocking issue.

Can anyone share what the stable firmware for RT-AX88U is, which doesn't have the time scheduling issue ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!