What's new

Fastest wired through-put Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CCR1072, cisco blade servers all capable of multi gigabit or even terabit performance.
The ERL's hardware acceleration is equivalent to the hardware acceleration of other consumer routers so you dont gain any benefit same with the HEX. However mikrotik is more flexible in their use of hardware acceleration so you can use QoS and hardware acceleration (hardware acceleration as a method of QoS) and accelerating selected traffic. This is something that the ERL cant do.

Am I missing something, because that router is like $3000, of course it is better than a ERL. I was under the assumption the OP was after a home router.

"On a consumer level, home use scenario..."

That aside the ccr1009 do gig while doing traffic shaping/qos? I could swing $400 for home use.
it can.

I tend to suggest some things as a joke. The CCR is capable of gigabit NAT with QoS, PPPOE and vlans, something consumer routers cant do, not even the fastest ubiquiti edgerouter.

it can.

I tend to suggest some things as a joke. The CCR is capable of gigabit NAT with QoS, PPPOE and vlans, something consumer routers cant do, not even the fastest ubiquiti edgerouter.
That is not bad considering that looks like I can get one new for $400. Does it require any subscriptions?

That is not bad considering that looks like I can get one new for $400. Does it require any subscriptions?
nope. I would suggest the 2GB version even though it costs more as the ram cant be replaced in the 9 core and 72 core version. passive if you dont want to do the same mod that i did to make it quiet as the fan is very loud.

nope. I would suggest the 2GB version even though it costs more as the ram cant be replaced in the 9 core and 72 core version. passive if you dont want to do the same mod that i did to make it quiet as the fan is very loud.
I was thinking this one, becasue I can get it with a SFP port, and it has passive cooling . I assume for a home router, I wouldnt need more than 2 gigs of ram...

https://routerboard.com/CCR1009-8G-1S-1SplusPC

can get it here for $394

http://www.balticnetworks.com/miktrotik-9core-cloud-core-router.html

what ya think?

2GB is a good place, even for a home router - for basic routing, it's plenty, but if one starts running things like Snort, Squid, etc... more RAM is always better - no matter which platform...

That 10GbE Ethernet controller is disappointing for the performance, price and single port it offers. But still very welcome for the competition it will bring for better and cheaper products (hopefully soon).

Ever since the RT-AC87U was rumored, I've been waiting to see a router with built in 10GbE capability (not just because I 'want' it, but because AC class routers with 3 antennae or more 'need' it). If this is NG's offerings in the next few months, the rest of the field won't be far behind (finally).

Now, I want to see a product range that can put all these pieces together!

Thanks pege63. I can see that 'enterprise' class routers will be able to stay out of homes/small business for a while longer (where they just don't belong) with the hardware coming out from pro-sumer class manufacturers.

That 10GbE Ethernet controller is disappointing for the performance, price and single port it offers. But still very welcome for the competition it will bring for better and cheaper products (hopefully soon).

Ever since the RT-AC87U was rumored, I've been waiting to see a router with built in 10GbE capability (not just because I 'want' it, but because AC class routers with 3 antennae or more 'need' it). If this is NG's offerings in the next few months, the rest of the field won't be far behind (finally).

Now, I want to see a product range that can put all these pieces together!

Thanks pege63. I can see that 'enterprise' class routers will be able to stay out of homes/small business for a while longer (where they just don't belong) with the hardware coming out from pro-sumer class manufacturers.
enterprise class routers do belong at home. If i could i would use those cisco blade routers they use at internet exchanges. Not only is it fast but it will have very good layer 7 performance too.

enterprise class routers do belong at home. If i could i would use those cisco blade routers they use at internet exchanges. Not only is it fast but it will have very good layer 7 performance too.
The only problem with running enterprise gear at home is the electricity used. Most of the big box Cisco gear uses 2 240 or 208 volt connections for redundant power supplies and they sure use a lot of amps. But they are fast.

SEM, I would love the power they offer. Just don't want to pay for it (electricity = $$$). :)

Looking for a router with the fastest transmission/receive on a wired connection on a consumer level, home use type scenario. Is that best described as Wan to Lan throughput(Tx), or Lan to Wan chart(Rx)?

Also which router has the fastest processor right now? Is dual core better

Wireless is not really a big concern right now.

Let's get back to the original question...

Pretty much any AC1900 class will do for consumer gear - the WRT's from Linksys are pretty interesting with 3rd party firmware (wireless issues aside, OpenWRT runs very nicely for routing work, and there, perhaps the AC1200 might be a deal...)

It's when the connection gets above 500MBit/Sec that things do start to get interesting - and there - to get a good feel for performance, one needs to start looking at options outside of the mainstream AC1900 class BHR's...

Once there - things can go seriously off the rails with expenses... but there are some very good platforms - MicroTik has a few - both integrated (their HW and SW) and as a SW package... pfSense on X86 with the right HW is also an option - and there's X86 options for Sophos and Untangle - which can be very approachable.

Anyways - what I'm getting at is the "gamer" paradox - one can go off the deep end very quickly and over-purchase way beyond their needs.