What's new

advice needed regarding a new wired router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bofh99

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I need advice.
I'd like to get a wired-only router that *only* routes. Is this possible now?
All it needs to do is:

a. run pppoe for the fttp connection
b. route static ipv4 (/29)
c. route "static" [1] ipv6

[1] when it connects, for ipv6 it gets a /64 for ND (neighbour discovery) and a /48
for PD (prefix delegation). The machines on the dmz with ipv6-only get their
ipv6 with SLAAC. The router I'd expect to run some type of dhcpcd, issuing the
/48 to the slaac ipv6 machines.

The ipv4 &6 are "static" in the sense that they linked to my account - in other words
they are not returned to the ISP's pool if the connection goes offline.

I don't want the router to do anything else like traffic shaping or firewalling or
dect phone or any of the other bells and whistles typical of all the routers i've seen.
It doesn't even need sshd, or a webby frontend. I'd be happy with just console access
via console cable. Firewalling is done within each of the connecting machines, which
have their own rules.

It only requires 2x NICs @1GB, though 2.5GB would be good.
The connection, currently, is 110/21 via FTTP, termination is ethernet.

thanks,

if you just need simple router up to 1Gbit - UBIQUITI ER-X cost in EU 50eur

alternative will be MikroTik for example

another option is to buy on amazon miniPC with 2/4/6x NIC i226 2.5Gbit and build system with OpenWRT or OPNsense/pfSense.

In sub $100 category - TP-Link ER605, Ubiquiti ER-X, MikroTik hEX

All about the same hardware capabilities, pick the one easier for you to configure. ER605 is the most user friendly.

ER605 GUI emulator here:

It's an Omada integrated router, but has stand alone mode. Some of advanced features are available only with SDN controller.

In sub $100 category - TP-Link ER605, Ubiquiti ER-X, MikroTik hEX

All about the same hardware capabilities, pick the one easier for you to configure. ER605 is the most user friendly.

ER605 GUI emulator here:

It's an Omada integrated router, but has stand alone mode. Some of advanced features are available only with SDN controller.
thanks! the ER605 looks like a winner in standalone mode, at that price point.

I didn't mention it before, and really should have, but am looking to go 990/110
in the near future and am anxious that the device would be able to handle that speed.
I'm unsure a sub-$100 router would be able to handle that speed even if all it was
doing was dhcpv6 to the dmz and pppoe

What would you suggest above that price point? $100-$200?

I was considering one of those micro-pcs with say 2x 2.5GB ethernet. That would be properly
near-term future proof I guess. Expensive though.

What would you suggest above that price point? $100-$200?

This one good for you?

GUI emulator:

It has faster CPU, 1GB RAM, 2x 2.5GbE ports, 4x Gigabit ports, USB, faster VPN. Do you really need it though?

In the old days routers were routers and firewalls were firewalls. They were separate boxes. They only combined them to save money. I would think you could turn off the firewall with a lot of routers now days just by turning off all the firewall settings.

Last edited:
In the old days routers were routers and firewalls were firewalls.

It's like the old saw about firewalls, routers, load balancers all being the same, the only differences were the rule sets applied

;)

It's like the old saw about firewalls, routers, load balancers all being the same, the only differences were the rule sets applied

;)
What I remember in the Cisco world you had to pay extra for a router IOS firewall set. You were not allowed to load the IOS for it unless you paid for it. The Cisco firewalls did not do routing they were different. The firewalls ran more as a transparent bridge behind a router.