What's new

Fiber ONU and Wireless router as Access Point Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

conquer22

Occasional Visitor
Dear All,

I am recently changed to Fiber and it's fantastic with less local ISP ping respond 3ms-5ms. My current setup is to have Fiber ONU on "WAN route" + NAT on and have it set 192.168.1.1 and DHCP. I connect Wireless router(manually fix IP 192.168.1.2 and have gateway back to 192.168.1.1) turn off DHCP and only set to Access Point Mode(Asus)

I assume my case is not double NAT, correct?
I have read many post about double NAT and to improve perfomance by making Fiber ONU as only set "WAN bridge" and let wireless router handles everything (Dial-up+NAT+DHCP+wireless)

May I ask for advice if it worth changing this new settings and would it improve overall performance.

I wonder if my current system is the way be

wireless device->access point->ONU->access point->wireless device

or should it be

wireless device->wireless router handles everything->wireless device

Many thanks

When you connect the wifi router connect it on the LAN port.

As for who should do NAT that depends on which is better. If the router is better let the router do NAT and your ONU can be a bridge.

Many thanks for reply. I thought changing Bridge mode is easy by just changing from WAN Route to WAN Bridge but it's not. Changes can not be applied as it prompt the current connection can not be applied as bridge mode. The So now I wonder if I need to delete the current route profile and create new connection as WAN bridge profile connect. but now I wonder what option i have to choose now and binding option?
Now, I have reset all ONU configuration and I'm not sure if I have to go back and turn off the DHCP and what option I have to change on the Working LAN port.