What's new

Low UL throughput over WIFI on new fiber line.. Normal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Interesting. I'm using completely different non-Asus equipment, but I have one RT-AX86U available and can speed test it over Wi-Fi on the weekend.

Interesting. I'm using completely different non-Asus equipment, but I have one RT-AX86U available and can speed test it over Wi-Fi on the weekend.
Like I said, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be an issue if I was on HFC with high split via spectrum cable @ 1G/1G.

My cable signal is really good here, better than most, but they haven't enabled higher "spectrum" in my area yet, though my property is zoned for it via FCC.

Its odd because the wire gets 940 pretty consistently, but as soon as a turn it on any type of wireless signal and protocol, it struggles unless I'm using a high throughput solution. (Upload).

My laptop also influences throughput if I run a upload test right next to it.. other devices shoot up 100-200mbps across the house, but eventually come back down.

I wish there was an engineer that could explain this phenomenon , because nothing really makes sense to me.

Download speeds are consistent 940 with and without wireless.

And yeah.. Same issue on my older AX86 as a main router.

Edit: Even if there was local 5-6ghz interference, I doubt it should be impacting 2x2 80mhz clients right on top of it.. Like that's a clear FCC issue lol.

Not like the ISP will do anything either. They see 940/940 coming from wire.

Last edited:
If you see the same limitation for your LAN transfers - your WAN has nothing to do with it. If you want - disconnect the WAN and test again.

The ONT/Fiber line seems to be influencing my WL hardware or there's an external interference factor going on (that can influence 6ghz hardware with no one near me). I cant figure out how or why.
Re: "The ONT/Fiber line seems to be influencing my WL hardware"

Nor could I "figure out how or why", because it's totally implausible in my estimation.

For reference only, I've got 500Mb/s symmetrical fiber to an ONT which feeds the network via a 1Gb/s ethernet, and can handily saturate that feed either direction via most of my wireless clients, individually. 'Twixt them I can obtain 1.2 Gb/s, wirelessly, through judicious topology.

Re: "The ONT/Fiber line seems to be influencing my WL hardware"

Nor could I "figure out how or why", because it's totally implausible in my estimation.

For reference only, I've got 500Mb/s symmetrical fiber to an ONT which feeds the network via a 1Gb/s ethernet, and can handily saturate that feed either direction via most of my wireless clients, individually. 'Twixt them I can obtain 1.2 Gb/s, wirelessly, through judicious topology.

Then I'm absolutely lost because nothing really makes sense to me.

Is there a secret alien base under my house? lmao...

@Tech9

Same issue with wan ports swapping. I give up lol.

Do you test with few different clients? All the same results?

Do you test with few different clients? All the same results?

IPhone 13 5ghz
Android with 6G
AX201 5G
AX211 6G
M1 MBA 5G

.. to name a few.

WL upload throughput will increase on other devices 100-200mbps on all if I speed test high speeds wired/wireless @ 940, but eventually drop back down.

It's not the specific router either because I have a BE800 WIFI7, AX86 and a single ISP provided "pod" and they all seem to do the thing.
Again, and I apologize, I'm somewhat lost (whiskey and what-else). How are you using these devices, individually, in some sort of "mesh", etc.?

If you've got such reduced wireless throughput with each individually then I'd be investigating the wireless frequency range environment. This dilemma feels an awful lot like the dreams I've been having lately. Awaking almost tireder than when I went to sleep...

Again, and I apologize, I'm somewhat lost (whiskey and what-else). How are you using these devices, individually, in some sort of "mesh", etc.?

If you've got such reduced wireless throughput with each individually then I'd be investigating the wireless frequency range environment. This dilemma feels an awful lot like the dreams I've been having lately. Awaking almost tireder than when I went to sleep...

Individually, uploading to separate clients.

RSSI and Noise levels are more or less perfect..

I don't understand what the issues is. Especially considering a high throughput LAN testing, boosts WL upload on other clients by 100-200mbps.. It legit seems like an ONT issue.. but that doesn't explain why wire is 940..

I can get 940 UL throughput with 1G LAN or high throughput WIFI IE: 2400mbps-4800mbps 80/160mhz 1024 QAM connection rates on AX.

I know on DOCSIS end, a different modem and or provisioning will increase throughput even with alternative wireless devices. Not sure if same applies here, but im pretty convinced wireless isn't the issue, even if its a wireless factor being pressed.. Download speeds are perfect with or without wireless.

Last edited:
what about testing your local network with iperf ? device to device across wireless. See if there is a buffering issue or interference that is local to your place. Maybe your wifi signal levels are too high and you are dealing with lots of reflections and retransmits ? Maybe the APs have much more transmit power than the clients ?

what about testing your local network with iperf ? device to device across wireless. See if there is a buffering issue or interference that is local to your place. Maybe your wifi signal levels are too high and you are dealing with lots of reflections and retransmits ? Maybe the APs have much more transmit power than the clients ?
Just tested that as a last resort between two PC's. Works fine :(

@NoLight

So... I reset up transparent bridging and the execution when Instantly this time for VLAN tagging on my router. I don't know what this modem was doing the last few times I tried to configure it, but my IPhone had HIGH throughput over 200s-300s for the first time.. hit a respectable 700-800 MBPS which is what id expect at 80mhz bonding.

Waited 10-20mins later and now its doing the same low 200-300 crap again. It's definitely something to do with the ONT and or service.. Im ready to pull my hair out.

That is beyond strange. You could have a tech come out and replace it? Also there is a Lumen employee on the CenturyLink Reddit that might be able to get you in contact with someone in engineering.

MTU mismatch from clients ?
QOS
Where does the VLAN end - your router or the ISP ONT/router ?

If the issue is present with WAN disconnected and WLAN-LAN up/down transfers - the ISP has nothing to do with it. Just run Wi-Fi test on RT-AX86U router and it consistently goes >600Mbps up/down to 2-stream AX client. The Wi-Fi channel is used, high-rise building, it's Saturday, I'm not the only one on it. Wi-Fi is working as expected. For comparison Synology RT2600ac goes >400Mbps up/down to the same client and on the same Wi-Fi channel. WAN side is unrelated, I have 300/30 ISP at this place.

Can't really do fair comparison between my APs and AIO routers at the moment. They are in different physical locations and Wi-Fi environments. But Asus Wi-Fi is fine.

Last edited:
If the issue is present with WAN disconnected and WLAN-LAN up/down transfers - the ISP has nothing to do with it. Just run Wi-Fi test on RT-AX86U router and it consistently goes >600Mbps up/down to 2-stream AX client. The Wi-Fi channel is used, high-rise building, it's Saturday, I'm not the only one on it. Wi-Fi is working as expected. For comparison Synology RT2600ac goes >400Mbps up/down to the same client and on the same Wi-Fi channel. WAN side is unrelated, I have 300/30 ISP at this place.

Can't really do fair comparison between my APs and AIO routers at the moment. They are in different physical locations and Wi-Fi environments. But Asus Wi-Fi is fine.

DL speeds are always fine on any router I use that has 160mhz bonding. I get the expected 940mbps. close to router.. Its only upload that has interment transfer rates.

My AC router does something funky where it ramps up speed higher on DL then comes down a little bit, but there's not enough throughput on 80mhz and I assume the CPU side of it is slower. Speeds end up anywhere from 500-700, but again, I don't expect that older router to perform. Still has lower than expected throughput on UL... Works as a media bridge in 4x4 mode (1733mbps) to my BE800.

My BE800 is the best general performer all around at my location though. Current Gen Qualcomm hardware.

MTU mismatch from clients ?
QOS
Where does the VLAN end - your router or the ISP ONT/router ?
I've tried both ISP VLAN tagging and internal on my routers.

It WORKED for like.. 5-10 mins after setting the VLAN tag on the BE800, but then it started doing its low upload throughput crap again. I need to trouble shoot something with rebooting unit because that was the highest throughput I've seen out of my standard 2x2 80mhz devices.

I tried QoS early on. On/off and on both ONT and my router disabled.

MTU should be standard 1500.

That is beyond strange. You could have a tech come out and replace it? Also there is a Lumen employee on the CenturyLink Reddit that might be able to get you in contact with someone in engineering.
The problem is, they wont really see the issue because the line will consistently speed test to LAN... It makes no sense.. really :(

Do you know if any of your neighbors have quantum gigabit that would be on the same 1/32 split? You could ask if you could try doing a wireless speed test, or ask them if they have experienced the same thing?

Do you know if any of your neighbors have quantum gigabit that would be on the same 1/32 split? You could ask if you could try doing a wireless speed test, or ask them if they have experienced the same thing?

neighbors I know are grandfathered to 200mbps plan.. which it will do consistently.

____

So im trying to troubleshoot this issue from last night.

Currently in transparent bridge mode and VLAN 201 tagging on BE800 itself.

It will do around 240 mbps throughput UNTIL my laptop either connected with 1G RJ-45 to router or using the 2.4Gbps high throughput AX connection (next to router) ask's for full connection speed with a basic speed test.

AFTER THAT, my phone will go from 240 to the expected 700-800 UL throughput.

Can someone explain this?!?!?!

Edit: I'm going to reset the 5500XK and see what happens in a double router situation.. From what I recall, throughput was lower when its in default mode.

Edit2: Seems to be working the same as transparent bridge mode as for now, but requires that "full speed "call" on another device either plugged in or with high throughput.. 2x2 80mhz devices start working fine for for a little then are subject to same issue.

Last edited:
The moment someone starts doing speed tests on a phone (with built-in no control power saving features) I leave the conversation.

The moment someone starts doing speed tests on a phone (with built-in no control power saving features) I leave the conversation.

Like it has anything to do with my issue considering this happens on legitimately every device...

But yea, nothing you suggested was of any value regardless :)