What's new

First NAS advice request

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skg

New Around Here
I believe my requirements are not overly difficult and after reading the forum a little and perusing the guides I would like to make sure I'm going down the correct path so any help or direction is appreciated.

I currently have two iphones, two laptops (a mac book and a chromebook), two apple tvs, an airport express and a sony bluray player. All of my wife's and my photos and music are on the mac book, the music is in separate itunes accounts(?) on the mac book. We have relatively little data, 120 gb music and movies, mostly music, and 300 gb pictures and home videos of our kids and the odd document. What I would like to achieve with the NAS is in order of importance, 1) automated back up of media and documents, 2) ability to access media, music is the main priority, from anywhere on the home network, 3) put all of the media into one itunes account and have our phones sync with itunes to the NAS if that makes sense, and 4) plug a usb hdd into the NAS for offsite backup. I realize I am a very ignorant about these matters, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Your needs are simple. I suggest WD My Cloud. Comes in single, dual and four-bay versions. Also home and business flavors. Main difference between home and biz versions is higher performance for biz version.

Easy to set up and operate, supports Apple Time Machine for backup. Also comes bundled with SmartWare backup software, which can handle backups to local drive attached to computer and / or drive attached to NAS.

Seagate's Personal Cloud might also be an option...

And iCloud/Airport Extreme might be an option with an external disk - the caveat is don't cross the streams between TimeMachine backups and file shares, but TimeCapsule/Airport Extreme can handle this...

search this forum's history and most user recommend Synology or QNAP. But if you live in the Apple exosphere, well, ...

I've read many user reviews that derate Seagate's attempt at a NAS. WD MyClould less so, but these two are both in a different league than Synology/QNAP who make only NASes whereas WD and Seagate use NASes to sell drives.

The lower end QNAP/Synology NAS boxes - they have a fair amount of capability...

But there is a learning curve to climb on them...

For an entry level QNAP - the TS-112P is a good entry - without disks, it's around $130 - but this is a fairly limited box - for QNAP, I do suggest the TS-251 based on capabilities and performance - a bit more of an investment, but a solid performer..

Metaphorically speaking...
with Seagate you'll tire of the 2 cylinder motor and 11 inch wheels.
with WD you'll outgrow but can't get rid of the training wheels.

I believe my requirements are not overly difficult and after reading the forum a little and perusing the guides I would like to make sure I'm going down the correct path so any help or direction is appreciated.

I currently have two iphones, two laptops (a mac book and a chromebook), two apple tvs, an airport express and a sony bluray player. All of my wife's and my photos and music are on the mac book, the music is in separate itunes accounts(?) on the mac book. We have relatively little data, 120 gb music and movies, mostly music, and 300 gb pictures and home videos of our kids and the odd document. What I would like to achieve with the NAS is in order of importance, 1) automated back up of media and documents, 2) ability to access media, music is the main priority, from anywhere on the home network, 3) put all of the media into one itunes account and have our phones sync with itunes to the NAS if that makes sense, and 4) plug a usb hdd into the NAS for offsite backup. I realize I am a very ignorant about these matters, any advice is greatly appreciated.

You are precisely describing a 'real' NAS such as QNAP or Synology. Going down any other path to fulfill your requirements will only bring regrets sooner rather than later.

While it may take a little longer to configure a 'real' NAS properly, many customers mention how much more transparent the 'box' is vs. whatever toy solution they (or their friends) had before.

You are precisely describing a 'real' NAS such as QNAP or Synology. Going down any other path to fulfill your requirements will only bring regrets sooner rather than later.

While it may take a little longer to configure a 'real' NAS properly, many customers mention how much more transparent the 'box' is vs. whatever toy solution they (or their friends) had before.

Agreed - depending on current needs, and what OP is describing, a low-end NAS from QNAP or Synology is a good base to start from.. and I would suggest Intel (x86) over ARM - even the lower end x86 based machines are fairly powerful compared to the ARM based units...

OP might be a good candidate for the QNAP TS-251 (or similar from Synology or Asustor)