What's new

[Fork] 374.43 LTS Beta including new rev AC68U routers (V27BI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

john9527

Part of the Furniture
A final beta update.

Biggest change are updates to fully support the AC66U_B1! Thanks again to @tracker.ca for his test support.
I've also included builds for all the supported routers for verification prior to me merging my development branch to my main branch. Fixes/Changes based on recent feedback on the main stable branch have been incorporated into this beta.

BETA RELEASE: Update-27BI, including support new rev AC68 class routers
22-August-2017
Merlin fork 374.43_2-27BIj9527
Download http://bit.ly/1UGjcOX
============================

A version of the LTS fork is now available that supports ALL variants of the AC68U, including the newer processor units.
  • AC68U (Rev A1,A2,B1,C1,E1), AC68P, AC1900 and AC1900P (and the retail and color versions, R and W, of each router) and the AC66U-B1
From a user point of view, it will appear exactly like the current stable release.

Installation Notes
  • You will need to load the code via the Firmware Recovery tool just like the current fork supported routers, followed by a factory reset and reconfigure. Although it is unlikely following the early testing results, you should also be prepared to use the FW recovery tool to get back up and running on your previous code if something goes wrong.
  • If you wish to use my 'User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility' to transfer your settings from a router currently running an ASUS stock or Merlin firmware, please make sure you are using the latest release, R25a with a migration restore.
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r25a.19521/
  • Even though the added support is for the new rev 'AC68' routers, all fork users across all supported routers are encouraged to give it a try.

Following are the major changes (full changelog is in the zip files)

Update-27BI Highlights
  • Updates to fully support the RT-AC66U_B1
  • Builds are included for all supported routers
    Looking for testers for other than AC68U series routers to make sure the changes have not affected other routers
  • Improvements to the QoS gui - @cybrnook
    The slider is now a true On/Off, consistent with other On/Off firmware switches. User the Save button to save changes to the QoS parameters.
  • Better input parameter checking on the QoS gui - @cybrnook
  • Description is now shown on the System Log>Port Forwarding page for port forwards defined with only a source port range - @Builder71
  • Option on the Firewall page to disable the ASUS Telnet/SSH Protection Server - @Builder71
  • Updated popup help for firewall options - @Builder71

Update-27BDSDK Highlights
  • ARM SDK updated to support the new processor rev levels - this beta is currently only for the AC68 router variants
  • Equivalent fix level to V26E4
  • One loss of function, in that this release no longer supports exFAT USB drives.
    The exFAT support which I had added on the LTS fork original SDK was done via kernel patches. On the new SDK, this caused filesystem symbol table changes which broke the prebuilt modules for NTFS support.
  • The Hardware Acceleration (CTF) support has been updated to be compatible with the new SDK and needs to be verified during the beta (I don't have internet service fast enough to be able to test)
  • The Wireless driver has been updated to be compatible with the new SDK, and the LTS fork controls need additional verification against the new driver. Also, functions provided by the new driver which have been backported need testing (Airtime Fairness, Bluetooth Compatibility). Of course, any feedback on the stability of the new driver/SDK combination is welcome.

A final reminder to have a backup of /jffs in case the jffs space needs to be reformatted due to changes in the jffs fs support.

SHA256
Code:
350e2e0b0979bacace2c6641af5ff26784a2ddf54e1268357a0a952b10cbf17f  RT-N16_374.43_27BIj9527.trx
7a1bc89157191a62e72e8d92131383ffa546e47d0debde934ee8143558bbd805  RT-AC66U_374.43_27BIj9527.trx
b9f53a4e1d4611829ad0db5f758cbcd4b2ca8a7d379a5ede93b34a313f6cd2d0  RT-N66U_374.43_27BIj9527.trx
db5e654ca0900939757b534d71380e0879c52834b69247fa24518bd45dc1808d  RT-AC68U_374.43_27BIj9527.trx
28ba0d4269d39c770b99ce52d764fe7f424b5ca8b5f44193a7b8d2e1990672c2  RT-AC56U_374.43_27BIj9527.trx

Last edited:
Awesome! Downloading now :) Thanks again @john9527 and @cybrnook!

Now if only I could find a Windows machine to run Asus Firmware Restore tool, as I've sent out my main (dual boot) laptop for repair... Not sure whether Rescue2000 can safely be run from Wine (currently using a netbook running Linux Mint).

If I want to load this on my "normal" AC68U Rev A2 what is the procedure and should I still use migration mode to restore my settings or just a normal restore? Thanks.

If I want to load this on my "normal" AC68U Rev A2 what is the procedure and should I still use migration mode to restore my settings or just a normal restore? Thanks.
If you are already running the fork, you can just load normally via the gui. (I'll add that to the announce) Thanks!

@ColinTaylor
Just a follow up to my previous response.....because of the wireless driver change, you should plan on a factory default reset at some point after the firmware load. (Then either reconfigure manually or use my NVRAM tool as before)

Uptime at 4 days and counting. Only reason this ever got reset was to upgrade to later Beta builds. Outside of that it has been rock solid, just be cautious during the initial flash and MAKE SURE to backup your /jffs if you ever used Johns additional options to move your ssh or ca certs to jffs from nvram. NVRAM backup tool does not save these if you run your backup after moving them.

Okay, found a windows laptop and (early-morning) time to install. Just a few questions before I get started (these answers can probably found in the other thread, but I've got only little time, and I'm really dying to get it up and running :)):

The factory reset after uploading this build: is it the factory reset through the WebUI, or with the button on the back of the router? Or does it both do exactly the same?

Is entware-ng fully supported on @john9527´s fork?

Are the following scripts compatible with the current beta-fork?
  • dnsscrypt
  • AB-solution 3.9.1
  • Skynet 5.1.x
  • ntpd for Asuswrt by kvic (not mandatory, nice to have, but the ones above are mandatory)
  • FreshJR QoS (not mandatory, nice to have, but the ones above are mandatory)

And last but not least, can I import the static IP 's the same way (set them in nvram, commit, reboot) as in Merlin's edition?

Again, probably all redundant questions that have been asked before but I've got a small time frame (summer holidays, nine-year old, those with kids probably know the drill) to upload the build and configure the basics, so I hope someone is willing to answer these questions here. I've been nagging @john9527 for quite some time to release a compatible fork :rolleyes:, can't be the last to install and test the beta-fork (and summer holidays will last another two weeks :confused:)

Thanks in advance.

Thanks John and Cybernook for making this happen!

The factory reset after uploading this build: is it the factory reset through the WebUI, or with the button on the back of the router? Or does it both do exactly the same?
Same thing
Is entware-ng fully supported on @john9527´s fork?
Yes. The same entware-setup.sh script is included
Are the following scripts compatible with the current beta-fork?
  • dnsscrypt - No, dnscrypt is supported natively in the LTS fork and configured through the gui on the WAN page
  • AB-solution 3.9.1 - Yes
  • Skynet 5.1.x - Yes, in fact the changes for ipset to support the new 'comment' extensions were initially developed on this fork.
  • ntpd for Asuswrt by kvic (not mandatory, nice to have, but the ones above are mandatory) Yes, but in my opinion, this is a nice technical exercise, but adds unnecessary complexity to a critical integrated router function. The fork natively supports more options to configure the built in ntp client, including the refresh interval and setting the router as a local time server.
  • FreshJR QoS (not mandatory, nice to have, but the ones above are mandatory) - Not supported/not applicable. This is for the TrendMicro Adaptive QoS which is not present in the LTS fork. The fork has a re-written Traditional QoS which works much better than the ASUS version.
And last but not least, can I import the static IP 's the same way (set them in nvram, commit, reboot) as in Merlin's edition?
Yes. You may also want to check out my User NVRAM Save/Restore tool.

@john9527: Thanks for your guidance and the quick reply, John. I couldn't wait (or actually the nine-year old had trouble waiting, he's autistic, so every change in his daily schedule leads to chaos and anxiety), so I already have it up and running. Install went flawless, basic functions, sntp and dnscrypt already configured. QoS is fine this way, will install Skynet and AB-solution in a minute, while my wife is taking care of the nescessairy distraction for the 'little' one. First impression is definitely good, will report back.

Edit: I have a backup made with your nvram-save tool, but I'd rather start fresh, to familiarize myself with the functionality of your fork.

Thanks again! (also on behalf of the lady of the house)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaaand... we're back :) Everything running smoothly, so very happy.

I noticed when thing I haven't seen before. While installing entware-ng and pixelserv-tls from within AB-Solution 3.9.1, I noticed the following errors, which I didn't see while a was running RMerlin's builds.
I tend to forget to install entware-ng, but fortunately AB-Solution checks whether Entware is installed, prior to installing pixelserv-tls, which I did with the current 380.68 Alpha2 too, but it didn't show these errors:

Code:
 installing Entware, using external script
 ---------------------------------------------------

Info: Checking for prerequisites and creating folders...
Warning: Folder /opt exists!
Info: Opkg package manager deployment...
Will not apply HSTS. The HSTS database must be a regular and non-world-writable file.
ERROR: could not open HSTS store at '/root/.wget-hsts'. HSTS will be disabled.

(...)

locale-archive file was not created, not enough memory? Downloading...
Will not apply HSTS. The HSTS database must be a regular and non-world-writable file.

Not sure wether this is related to the LTS Beta build or something that I should report to @thelonelycoder?

@john9527 Two more question (at least for now :D) prior to the adventure of discovery of your fork's possibilities:

1. I've enable dnscrypt which comes with the fork, but the dnscrypt install script I used before, contained the possibility to auto-update my current IP to OpenDNS/Cisco. Does your fork have the same option (besides the stock ddns options which I use for ASUS DDNS) or should I use a third party client to do that?

2. I noticed an option to enable or disable writing syslog to jffs. If I disable it, will the logs still be send to the service I use for remote logging (http://www.papertrailapp.com). I'm not sure whether remote logging reads the syslog from jffs or elsewhere...

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Aaaand... we're back :) Everything running smoothly, so very happy.

I noticed when thing I haven't seen before. While installing entware-ng and pixelserv-tls from within AB-Solution 3.9.1, I noticed the following errors, which I didn't see while a was running RMerlin's builds.
I tend to forget to install entware-ng, but fortunately AB-Solution checks whether Entware is installed, prior to installing pixelserv-tls, which I did with the current 380.68 Alpha2 too, but it didn't show these errors:

Code:
 installing Entware, using external script
 ---------------------------------------------------

Info: Checking for prerequisites and creating folders...
Warning: Folder /opt exists!
Info: Opkg package manager deployment...
ERROR: could not open HSTS store at '/root/.wget-hsts'. HSTS will be disabled.

(...)

locale-archive file was not created, not enough memory? Downloading...

Not sure wether this is related to the LTS Beta build or something that I should report to @thelonelycoder?

@john9527 Two more question (at least for now :D) prior to the adventure of discovery of your fork's possibilities:

1. I've enable dnscrypt which comes with the fork, but the dnscrypt install script I used before, contained the possibility to auto-update my current IP to OpenDNS/Cisco. Does your fork have the same option (besides the stock ddns options which I use for ASUS DDNS) or should I use a third party client to do that?

2. I noticed an option to enable or disable writing syslog to jffs. If I disable it, will the logs still be send to the service I use for remote logging (http://www.papertrailapp.com). I'm not sure whether remote logging reads the syslog from jffs or elsewhere...

Thanks in advance for your reply.
This "Warning: Folder /opt exists!" is nothing to worry about, the folder exists, maybe from a previous install.
When you uninstall AB with rm this might be a remnant of it. I'd have to check to be sure tough.

The HSTS warning is new to me, google says this might be the case when the wget command is run over https but no certificate is found.
Usually using the --no-check-certificate switch solves that.
But AB does not use the https protocol to wget install Entware and I'm not sure they actually support it on pkg.entware.net, my test timed out.
380.68 beta showed no trace of the wget-hsts file, maybe LTS does, haven't checked (this router is dormant on the shelf...).

And to add to the above post, I cannot test this build as my only 68U router is on the new bootloader and I have no plans to downgrade it for a test, which I have done several times with a 66U MIPS router.
The 1900P (68U firmware) firmly rests on the Merlin fw.

Random observation @john9527 , in the network map, if we set a static IP reservation for a MAC address, and the host has an assigned hostname, is the network map limited to 14char to display that name?

I never noticed before, but seems my clients with over 14 char get truncated at the 14th character:

for example "raspberrypihole"
raspberrypihole.png

Updated my AC68U rev. A1 without any problem. Smooth like always. Thx.

And to add to the above post, I cannot test this build as my only 68U router is on the new bootloader and I have no plans to downgrade it for a test, which I have done several times with a 66U MIPS router.
The 1900P (68U firmware) firmly rests on the Merlin fw.
No need to do anything with the bootloader.....@cybrnook is running on a AC1900P

That is correct, no work needed @thelonelycoder , 1900P works fine on factory bootloader (2.0.0.6). You just need to use the web recover because you are flashing (downgrading) to an older firmware, and newer Asus/Merlin prohibits downgrading from the webui, especially to a build as old as this.

Now if you mean your 1900P rests solely on Merlin out of principle, that's a different thing ;-)

http://img.techpowerup.org/170805/just-a-taste102.png

Don't quite understand.....with the script addon he provides a default. With the built in gui support, you need to select your dnscrypt servers after enabling the option.....just select OpenDNS from the dropdown list.

If you set up a server for remote logging, it's independent of this option. The jffs option is is a holdover for those that were concerned (unnecessarily IMO) over jffs writes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!