What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Plenty of space between router here.

Yet to have it happen for me again, its very rare for me. hopefully it stays that way.

I read some of those threads and found that removing "N only" has resolved the problem, no other occurrences at this time.

Hope it solves for other people.

@Wisiwyg

I tried using the my Android phone in "tether" mode when I first got my router a couple of years ago. To my surprise it worked, but I hadn't used it since. There was already a profile for my carrier (Vodafone UK) and they didn't block tethering.

I just tried it again but couldn't get it to work. I think the reason is because I have changed carrier to Virgin Mobile and a) there is no profile for them, and b) they don't allow tethering.

@Wisiwyg

I tried using the my Android phone in "tether" mode when I first got my router a couple of years ago. To my surprise it worked, but I hadn't used it since. There was already a profile for my carrier (Vodafone UK) and they didn't block tethering.

I just tried it again but couldn't get it to work. I think the reason is because I have changed carrier to Virgin Mobile and a) there is no profile for them, and b) they don't allow tethering.
@ColinTaylor Thank you for the reply. I'm not going to ask for this to be fixed in this fork - too much other stuff going on that is more useful. From the post I referenced, I think some of the newer Asus-WRT versions have an "Android Phone Tether" option in them now. My carrier, AT&T was listed and does allow tethering, but selecting it didn't 'stick' and reverted to Italia Telecom and the Manual mode didn't provide GSM-related options (4G/3G, 4G Only, etc) for setup, just CDMA. I was without internet for a day, but it isn't that big a deal as I was able to tether the phone directly to my laptop. I may play around with it again, selecting different options to see if one works.

@john9527 Thanks for the great firmware fork.

Is there a way I can reset only all the WLAN settings to default without touching my other configs? Think I might have messed it up as my clients connect but could barely transfer any files even with a full power and supposedly excellent connection. The routing of packets for my VPN and wired clients are all working normally.

Thanks

@john9527 Thanks for the great firmware fork.

Is there a way I can reset only all the WLAN settings to default without touching my other configs? Think I might have messed it up as my clients connect but could barely transfer any files even with a full power and supposedly excellent connection. The routing of packets for my VPN and wired clients are all working normally.

Thanks

I believe this has got to do more with interference from other wifi networks than a settings issue.
Have you used inssider or any other such tool to identify whether you have many wifi networks around on the same or overlapping channels?

I read some of those threads and found that removing "N only" has resolved the problem, no other occurrences at this time.

Hope it solves for other people.

Where is this setting and its ok to change?, I may change it if it happens again, but I'm yet to have the problem again. Hope it fixes it for you.

cheers

Where is this setting and its ok to change?, I may change it if it happens again, but I'm yet to have the problem again. Hope it fixes it for you.

cheers

It is on the wireless tab with the name Wireless Mode, I changed from N only to Auto.
Good luck

I think there must be something else going on in your case. This fork wasn't exposed to the same problem as on the main Merlin firmware. After the initial scan at boot, the networkmap code in the fork is event driven when it detects a new device or change to an exiting device or a change in network topology. It doesn't initiate any network traffic on a 1 hour timer like the Merlin firmware (and there is no ~20min timer in the fork).

Additionally, the DHCPREQUEST sequence you are seeing, is actually initiated by the printer (it's the router responding to a printer request to renew it's address).

Finally, I've been wanting to change my laser printer (a Brother 2270DW) from being USB attached to a server to a network printer. I took this opportunity to make the change, connecting it one of the router LAN ports.. That printer has been sleeping now for over 2 hours without waking up.

My best guess is there is something else on your network that is activating the printer. One thing I would check is antivirus programs, such as ESET and Avast, that do network scans trying to log on to detected web pages (assuming your Samsung has a web page for configuration/status).

Sorry, but I don't think there is anything for me to fix here.

John, thanks for trying this out for yourself. I unplugged the power to my printer since it was driving me bonkers and plugged it back in the next day. I haven't seen the printer wake up since. So perhaps it was initiated by the printer somehow with all of this firmware flashing and rebooting the network and switches. Everthing has been stable. I'll try my sisters NT66U next as the latest Asus firmware runs really slow on it, like 10 seconds per click to navigate.

Hey, maybe a bug report (just me?)....

When I change the priority on an existing User-Defined QoS rule and click save, it doesn't save. I have to remove and re-add the rule completely.

AC66U with traditional QoS. Thanks.

Edit: Also, if you have 3 rules with no Source IP/MAC specified, but different ports (ie. 53, 80, 443), and you try to remove one of them, it will remove all 3.

Last edited:
Hey, maybe a bug report (just me?)....

When I change the priority on an existing User-Defined QoS rule and click save, it doesn't save. I have to remove and re-add the rule completely.

AC66U with traditional QoS. Thanks.

Edit: Also, if you have 3 rules with no Source IP/MAC specified, but different ports (ie. 53, 80, 443), and you try to remove one of them, it will remove all 3.
No....not just you. Was able to recreate both of these.:oops:

Will update this post when I figure out what happened. Thanks for the report!

EDIT: @Grump - Found and fixed (both cases). As a matter of fact, that code and the fix looked awfully familiar....I'm wondering if I did something dumb and accidentally dropped a fix.

Last edited:
Hi again @john9527 I noticed that the GUI becomes really slow to load if I have parental controls switched on (just the normal time limiting one, NOT DNS filtering). The effect is specially noticeable if its at the time that connectivity is to be stopped to a device.

decided to enable dnssec on dnsmasq but is broken for me.

Dns masq restarts without errors and the log says its enabled, but all queries fail.

decided to enable dnssec on dnsmasq but is broken for me.

Dns masq restarts without errors and the log says its enabled, but all queries fail.
Are you sure you are using DNSSEC enabled servers (not all are - most ISP servers aren't)?

Last edited:
It is on the wireless tab with the name Wireless Mode, I changed from N only to Auto.
Good luck

Unfortunately, If I done that my Sonos play 1's would not work:(.

On a side note does having it set to mixed restrict other devices performance that are capable of N speeds on the 2.4ghz band, or would it only restrict any if my Sonos was in use, mind you its connected 27/7 so I guess it might be?

Are you sure you are using DNSSEC enabled servers (not all are - most ISP servers aren't)?
So true! Looks like the majority of servers don't support DNSSEC. I use Simple DNSCrypt (https://simplednscrypt.org/) and only a few select DNS servers support DNSSEC. Most support no logging which is great so you're not being tracked or even worst, your tracking and ip sold to spammers. Open DNS is the worst and logs, also sells your tracking info to others.

By the way, is there any way to include DNSCrypt as a setting into the firmware? Using commands and scripts is a pain to manually install DNSCrypt.

Or you can use DNS.WATCH as your DNS provider: 84.200.69.80 or 84.200.70.80, supports DNSSEC, no logging.

Disagree, I use OpenDNS (Cisco) because for me the extra security is more relevant than the loss of privacy. Besides, sometimes I read the logs myself, they're useful.

The DNS data are not very informative: my connection is used by multiple persons, and there is no way for OpenDNS to know who accessed a particular website. Furthermore, every add displayed from a website counts as a DNS call to that website, so there is a lot of noise and it cannot be inferred that one has willfully and consciously accessed all the websites appearing in his/her DNS log. Sometimes an educated or near certain guess could be made, but that's all.

That was indeed the cause, seems using a non DNSSEC server when enabled in dnsmasq kills all dns queries. Switched to the dnscrypto.org servers now, the holland one is pretty fast as well.

I plan to run my own uk dnssec and dnscrypt dns server but the server I want to use for it is currently down so the plan is delayed.

Last edited:
Hi again @john9527 I noticed that the GUI becomes really slow to load if I have parental controls switched on (just the normal time limiting one, NOT DNS filtering). The effect is specially noticeable if its at the time that connectivity is to be stopped to a device.
I can't recreate this one.....made a couple of PC entries and saw no difference. One thing I did notice in the code is that page makes use of XML files, so you may want to check that you don't have an Adblocker or Virus scanner active on the router address that could slow things down.

Unfortunately, If I done that my Sonos play 1's would not work:(.

On a side note does having it set to mixed restrict other devices performance that are capable of N speeds on the 2.4ghz band, or would it only restrict any if my Sonos was in use, mind you its connected 27/7 so I guess it might be?

My problem was resolved when I changed to "Auto" mode, which I believe is the mixed you talk about.
From what I've read when there is a b/g device attached the performance is reduced to accommodate such devices.

It is very strange for a "recent" and premium device, like the Sonos, to not have wireless N capabilities.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!