What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@john9527 Sadly though, I can't get the traffic manager to load up the rstat file from the card. Reformatted to ext2 from the router as well but still just the same.
It is able to create the file if i enable the create or reset file option but when I open the traffic manager it states "no data in table".
What's more the timestamp of modification of the rstat file changes as expected when the traffic data should be written but traffic manager cannot load up any data from it. There is no error in the syslog as well. :(
If you can see the rstats data being updated, try clearing your browse cache and cookies.

Sorry I don't have an AC66U. I know @john9527 did a lot of work to enable DFS on the N66U, maybe he can take a look at the AC66U for you.;)
Before I played around with the NVRAM variables the high channels weren't even available to me. Do you have access to them in your (UK) configuration? Where do I go from there if they're still not present?

As far as I know, ASUS never enabled radar detection for the base AC66 (at least through 378, after that it's been moved to closed source so I can't tell), so the upper channels aren't available

Nothing changed in V23 that would affect rstats.....most likely just the reboot (did you reboot after changing the location?)
Yep I rebooted plenty of times. I upgraded to b8 again and it still works. Weird.

Nothing changed in V23 that would affect rstats.....most likely just the reboot (did you reboot after changing the location?)

Played around with the traffic monitoring settings and still works great as it should on the beta. :)

Good technical term.....weird :)

:D I think I know what caused it to glitch, I had enabled iptraffic once without the create or reset option when selecting the cd card. Had only transferred the rstat file and not the cstat. I corrected that afterward but seems the damage had been done.. lol.

John, just loaded up your latest beta on an RT-AC68P. As always, so far so good. Thank you!

@john9527 John, is there anything I can do to ensure both external hard drives along with the sdcard are mounted consistently at boot?

A cold boot from power off often results in one external hdd not mounting with the other hdd and sdcard mounted properly; the first bubble on the network map page shows the sd card instead of the hdd on cold boot. A soft reboot from gui results in all drives being mounted consistently, with both hdds showing up in the two bubbles on network map. Any reason for this difference?

Edit: This is the output of mount from the time disk_2 is not showing up as a network share:

Code:
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/DISK_1 type ufsd (rw,nodev,noatime,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,force)
/dev/sdc1 on /tmp/mnt/SDCARD type ext2 (rw,nodev,noatime)
/dev/sdb1 on /tmp/mnt/DISK_2 type ufsd (rw,nodev,noatime,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,force)

Means that both disks are mounting but disk_2 still doesn't show up which is fixed after a soft reboot.

Edit2: This is with guest access enabled.

Edit3: Checking the logs, the only difference I saw for a cold boot and soft reboot is that there's a warning that the sdcard suffered an unclean shutdown. Going to convert it to ext3 and see if the problem persists.

Edit4: Even though I stopped getting the unclean fs warning on mount after a cold boot, the problem persists. What I now get are these:
Code:
kernel: EXT3-fs: starting recovery.
kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
kernel: EXT3 FS on sdc1, internal journal
kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
hotplug[353]: USB ext3 fs at /dev/sdc1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/SDCARD

All this makes me wonder should I have just used ntfs with the card? As far as writes go, i do not care since I've plenty of cards lying around and I anyway think the router is going to go out before the card wears down. That is if the problem is indeed cause by this unclean shutdown recovery.

Edit5: I dont think it supports ntfs for the sdcard. I'm out of ideas now, John... help it's all weird again :p

Last edited:
I've been thinking about how to best answer this question. For security, I watch for documented exposures in both the ASUS code and the other open source components and update where applicable.

On the ASUS side, much of what they are doing is no longer directly applicable to this fork since the authentication method has changed. Things that are get backported and Merlin is kind enough to alert me to things he sees that may be applicable as he does his merges. Additionally, I've made a couple passes through the code on my own to close buffer exposure overflows.

On the open source side, things like OpenVPN, OpenSSL, dropbear, etc. are kept up to date.

The best I can say is that I actually use this fork and don't feel as if I'm unnecessarily exposed.

One last thing I'll mention, is that there are some options on the fork that help with security that aren't available on the latest ASUS/Merlin.
- You can change the default http port (in addition to the https port) for the gui access. This can provide some additional protection from malware exploits.
- All the gui login/logout activity is logged in the syslog. If you review the syslog periodically, it's pretty easy to see if someone is trying to attack via the gui.

Thank you John ,very clearly and complete ,my only worry was that there are some critical exploit that aren't fixed but it not seems the case
I'll continue to use this fork :)

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

Mount via UUID.

Thanks for the reply, it seemed for a while there I was talking with myself (haven't got much to do today lol...)

Actually I had also posted the mounted volumes, it wasn't a problem with mounting, all drives get mounted but one drive doesn't make it to the network. It only happens after a hard boot from power off.

Mount via UUID.

also fstab seems to be empty and I do not know how the drives are being mounted right now (linux n00b)...and not sure if i try and mount with uuid or label it won't break something else.

also fstab seems to be empty and I do not know how the drives are being mounted right now (linux n00b)...and not sure if i try and mount with uuid or label it won't break something else.
The default configuration doesn't use fstab. Try labeling all the drives and changing any scripts referencing the mnt point from /mnt/sdxx to /mnt/label

The default configuration doesn't use fstab. Try labeling all the drives and changing any scripts referencing the mnt point from /mnt/sdxx to /mnt/label

All are labelled already, disk_1, disk_2 and sdcard. No extra scripts running.

Shall I go ahead and mount via uuid or label from fstab like we normally do in linux?

Shall I go ahead and mount via uuid or label from fstab like we normally do in linux?
Not sure that would help.....it looks as if it's mounting correctly. While it 'supports' usb hubs, the support is pretty weak. And the internal sdcard slot works by connecting through an internal hub to one of the ports. (Maybe that's why they never officially support the sdcard slot and eventually removed it altogether).

Not sure that would help.....it looks as if it's mounting correctly. While it 'supports' usb hubs, the support is pretty weak. And the internal sdcard slot works by connecting through an internal hub to one of the ports. (Maybe that's why they never officially support the sdcard slot and eventually removed it altogether).

Oh well...I'll just make it a habit to reboot from software every time I switch it off which is already very rare. I already have UPS backup for the whole system which further ensures no unknown power losses so it will do just fine I guess and I will have to control my ocd with unclean fs warnings :p (switched back to ext2 and leaving it as that). Thanks for your help. :)

Btw when will you push out v23 stable? The beta has been rock solid apart from some 'weirdness' which u already helped resolve.

Edit: Also, is there a shutdown command like the reboot one from ssh? :D

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!