What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah, here's what I found:

http://www.securityweek.com/asus-routers-plagued-command-execution-vulnerability

Many ASUS wireless routers are affected by a vulnerability that can be exploited by an attacker with access to the target’s local area network (LAN) to execute arbitrary commands.

The security hole was uncovered by Joshua Drake, practice manager of Accuvant Labs’ research and development department. The flaw has been assigned the CVE identifier CVE-2014-9583.

infosvr has nothing to do with WPS.

Due to the randomness of the issue, I suspect it might be something more arcane, such as a racing condition somewhere. And I still don't know if the issue still exists, or was fixed at some point in time.
Yep....one of those particularly nasty bugs.....

John do you have plans to change the network map device area so it shows devices online either wireless or wired like merlins latest firmware?

I personally like it as it is, with just the one list showing all devices, quite simple and does not give as much information but I prefer it like that, just saying.:)

Bad news....I can't recreate it:(

I'll hunt through the code and see if I can spot anything.....

And when you get a chance....a couple more nvram vars (doesn't need to be in the strange state)
nvram get vpn_serverx_eas
nvram get vpn_server_unit

And what happens if you have the message up and just hit refresh in your browser?

Code:
login as: admin
admin@10.0.0.254's password:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Wed Mar 11 03:02:15 UTC 2015
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get vpn_serverx_eas
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get vpn_server_unit
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root#

If I hit refresh using Chrome or IE, I get the starting message.
No Export button.

Too bad you can't recreate, for me it's easy to reproduce.
I'm not sure I've seen this in the early stages of your fork.
But I don't know for sure.

If you want me to test anything, just let me know.

Oh, of course you know, but hitting Apply on the Wireless Professional page gives me this in syslog:

Code:
Mar 16 19:12:29 rc_service: httpd 330:notify_rc set_wltxpower;restart_wireless
Mar 16 19:12:32 kernel: device eth1 left promiscuous mode
Mar 16 19:12:32 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering disabled state
Mar 16 19:12:32 kernel: device eth2 left promiscuous mode
Mar 16 19:12:32 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering disabled state
Mar 16 19:12:32 kernel: device wl0.1 left promiscuous mode
Mar 16 19:12:32 kernel: br0: port 4(wl0.1) entering disabled state
Mar 16 19:12:32 kernel: device wl1.1 left promiscuous mode
Mar 16 19:12:32 kernel: br0: port 5(wl1.1) entering disabled state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: wl_module_init: passivemode set to 0x0
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: eth1: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: eth2: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: device eth1 entered promiscuous mode
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering listening state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering learning state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering forwarding state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: device eth2 entered promiscuous mode
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering listening state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering learning state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: device wl0.1 entered promiscuous mode
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 4(wl0.1) entering listening state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering forwarding state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 4(wl0.1) entering learning state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: device wl1.1 entered promiscuous mode
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 5(wl1.1) entering listening state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 4(wl0.1) entering forwarding state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 5(wl1.1) entering learning state
Mar 16 19:12:35 kernel: br0: port 5(wl1.1) entering forwarding state

John do you have plans to change the network map device area so it shows devices online either wireless or wired like merlins latest firmware?

I personally like it as it is, with just the one list showing all devices, quite simple and does not give as much information but I prefer it like that, just saying.:)
No plans there....as Merlin has stated in other threads, the networkmap code is 'not optimal' :) I don't want to go down that hole....

Too bad you can't recreate, for me it's easy to reproduce.
I'm not sure I've seen this in the early stages of your fork.
But I don't know for sure.

If you want me to test anything, just let me know.
99% sure I found it.....tested on my system and it doesn't appear to have broken anything. Doing a build for you to test now.

As far as I can tell, that looks right.

Then, I was going to suggest what you already tried.....

Only other idea is if you are running a VPN Client....then you need to add a rule covering the tunnel....for example for OpenVPN
iptables -t filter -I FORWARD -o tun11 -j monitor

Hi John
Thanks i already checked it, I have an Open VPN client configured but it is not active and I actvivate it only when I need to connect trough a VPN.
And as well as you now I am out of ideas of what I can check :)

Please if there is any anobody else using RT-N66U who could be so nice to try to enable webmon as written in John txt please let us know if it works

John: Thanks alot again for your help

BR
Ocram

Please if there is any anobody else using RT-N66U who could be so nice to try to enable webmon as written in John txt please let us know if it works

Somebody already did....I'm puzzled too by your problem.

I don't have in-depth knowledge with scripts, but I used the "Using-Webmon.txt" file from John's download section to create them.
It's working great on my RT-N66U. :)

Just to say thanks John.

Im running update 8 on my n66u and so far all seems good. I downgraded from 378.51 so did a reset. not changed much in way of settings.
Just using a fixed channel for 2.4ghz band and disabled wps.

Is there any tweaks I should make?

Hello
Could you please try to enable webmon on your RT-N66U?
For some reason it does not work well on my one and i wonder if it works for someone else with the same model
To enable it Please follow John instructions in the txt on his download site

Thanks alot
Ocram

EDIT: Sorry I noticed only now that someone else already did

When playing with webmon make sure you first disable NAT acceleration.

Somebody already did....I'm puzzled too by your problem.

Good so we will find the reason in a way or another :)

Maybe I will try to disable every "optional " services (I use entware with a couple of servicees there and a chrooted debian for dlna)

:) becoming a nice personal challenge now that I know that it works on someone else RT-N66U :)

BR
Ocram

When playing with webmon make sure you first disable NAT acceleration.
Thanks Merlin
yes , it was the first thing I tried :)
It is disabled in the switch web panel maybe you can suggest me a way to see if it is really disabled ?

Thanks
Ocram

This is normal.

"Things in /proc are not really files. In most cases, they're not even files in memory. When you access these files, the proc filesystem driver performs a system call that gets data appropriate for the file, and then formats it for output. This is usually dynamic data that's constructed on the fly. An example of this is /proc/net/arp, which contains the current ARP cache."

Hello sorry i did not see your post until now.

Thaks for your help so now I will try to understand why it does not work here.

Ok for the explanation about special files , considder that I checked them with ls only aftre realizing that webmon was not working
before I just tried to use the format script or jut to cat the special files and they do not show anything

I will try to run webmon without any other "optional" service running

Thanks
Ocram

Just to say thanks John.

Im running update 8 on my n66u and so far all seems good. I downgraded from 378.51 so did a reset. not changed much in way of settings.
Just using a fixed channel for 2.4ghz band and disabled wps.

Is there any tweaks I should make?

A couple of guidelines I use....

Things usually work best with the 'Wireless Mode' set to Auto.

If you are streaming video via wireless it's usually best to set a fixed channel to avoid having a channel switch in the middle of the stream.

If you are having performance problems with 2.4GHz, try setting the Channel bandwidth to a fixed 20MHz. If 5GHz, try a fixed 40MHz. If you have AC clients, this will limit them. After verifying stability try 80MHz.

Start with the transmit power settings at the defaults (80 mW) and only increase them if you have problems with clients at a distance. Increasing the power when things are already working well is likely to not make things better.

On Wireless/Professional tab I set 'Enable WMM APSD' to Disabled (this is a power saving feature and if you are after best performance I think it's better to have it off).

On the WAN tab, set the 'Redirect to error page' to Never. This sets up some iptables rules and causes an extra restart of dnsmasq during boot (this will change in the next release). I've seen cases where the additional rules appear to 'get stuck' and can cause all sorts of strange problems.

After these, it's usually tuning to your individual environment and clients.

Last edited:
A couple of guidelines I use....

Things usually work best with the 'Wireless Mode' set to Auto.

If you are streaming video via wireless it's usually best to set a fixed channel to avoid having a channel switch in the middle of the stream.

If you are having performance problems with 2.4GHz, try setting the Channel bandwidth to a fixed 20MHz. If 5GHz, try a fixed 40MHz. If you have AC clients, this will limit them. After verifying stability try 80MHz.

Start with the transmit power settings at the defaults (80 mW) and only increase them if you have problems with clients at a distance. Increasing the power when things are already working well is likely to not make things better.

On Wireless/Professional tab I set 'Enable WMM APSD' to Disabled (this is a power saving feature and if you are after best performance I think it's better to have it off).

On the WAN tab, set the 'Redirect to error page' to Never. This sets up some iptables rules and causes an extra restart of dnsmasq during boot (this will change in the next release). I've seen cases where the additional rules appear to 'get stuck' and can cause all sorts of strange problems.

After these, it's usually tuning to your individual environment and clients.

Im using a fixed channel (6), as like you say I stream video on my amazon fire tv box, at present I cant see any problems with performance or other issues so will leave everthing as it is, but if I run into problems I will try some of the things you suggested.

Might take a look at the WMM APSD feature though, does it make a big difference when disabled?

thanks

I don't want to say nothing, but new Firmware Update 8 is 10 Megabytes smaller then all previous Updates. What was that you clean up the mess?

Might take a look at the WMM APSD feature though, does it make a big difference when disabled?
If everything is working fine...likely it won't make a difference. If I remember correctly, part of APSD implements a packet scheduling algorithm as the load drops. Just seemed like a lot of opportunity for a problem to me.

As the old saying goes...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

I don't want to say nothing, but new Firmware Update 8 is 10 Megabytes smaller then all previous Updates. What was that you clean up the mess?

Check the first post.....I removed the Download Master code from the firmware. It will be downloaded if/when you decide to install it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!