What's new

FVS318N lack of Password Security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ericnepean

New Around Here
I am currently using a Netgear Firewall FVS318N (FW 4.3.1-33), and I noticed that this "security" device actually includes the admin password in clear in the configuration backup file. Thinking about this for a bit, this implies the Router OS actually stores passwords in clear :( - OS's that are designed with a good security model (e.g. Windows 7) only store password hashes so that a user or malware cannot simply read or copy the password file.

I checked config backup files for other devices I have or had to see how common this lackadaisical practice is. Turns out this is quite uncommon:
Cisco RV180 - password is encrypted or hashed
Dlink DIR 825 - password is not exposed
Thomsen ST516 - password is not exposed
Netgear Readynas 2000 - password is not exposed
QNAP TS419PII - password is not exposed

I am totally unimpressed with Netgear. I don't often use the term "lamer" but it seems wholly appropriate here.

I have also noticed in the latest firmware update (shellshock vulnerability) that Netgear has prevented the use of many common symbols in passwords: ! # $ ^ & * are all not permitted. I wonder what kind of SW limitation/design flaw this implies?