What's new

Solved What is the default SSID password for ASUS_48_2G?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

systematic

Regular Contributor
I've factory reset the AC88U router and I see the wireless SSID of Asus_48_2g but it's asking for a password to connect.

Any ideas what this is?

I would connect with a LAN cable but I have a MacBook and no adapter for the USB port. Surely I should be able to connect to the Wireless SSID?

Check the user manual, or the sticker on the unit. Quick googling suggests that the factory default might be user = admin, password = admin, but this might be model or firmware-version dependent.

It is admin/admin but I can't connect to the default wireless SSIDs as they require a password.

Once I connect to the default wireless I can then connect to the routers main page and access via admin/admin

I'm asking what the password is to connect to the default SSID

I'm asking what the password is to connect to the default SSID

Are you sure there is one? My XT8s had an open SSID in the factory-reset state, IIRC, and I don't see any google results suggesting that other models do it differently.

Everytime I try and connect to ASUS_48_2G or ASUS_48_5G it's asking for a password. I don't get it. It should just connect without a password.

I'm assuming I reset it fine. I simply held onto the reset button for 10 seconds and let go. I'm presuming it worked hence the default SSIDs showing up.

Ill try the WPS reset method.

Well I haven't tried to connect to it but I just saw ASUS_48_2G come up and it has a padlock next to it.....this is annoying.

There is a PIN on the sticker underneath and I've entered that to no avail too.

Can't believe how difficult this is.

I'm about out of ideas. The only suggestion I have left is to try some of the other reset methods that ASUS documents.

(Actually, though ... perhaps the fault is with your client device, and it's telling you something untrue about that SSID? Try telling the Mac to forget that SSID, and/or reboot the Mac.)

Hmm, after re-reading my old notes I have an additional thought: have you got any other devices plugged into the router's WAN/LAN ports? If so, try disconnecting everything while you reset the device and reconfigure it, and don't reconnect until you've established admin control and set up the SSID(s) as you want them. Likewise, if you have any other ASUS routers live, turn them off during this period.

My notes show that my XT8s did things I didn't want if there was a DHCP server reachable from the LAN ports during reset, and also that they'd auto-join an AiMesh mesh if one was alive nearby. The DHCP issue isn't what you're facing, but I wonder if the device is auto-joining some nearby mesh, or there's some other environmental effect.

Just power connected to the router. Nothing else.

They have a default SSID broadcasted. You'd think they'd give you the password on how to connect to them.

Ok ASUS can go and suck my batty hole for starters.

I just mauled through the drawers and found a USB-C hub with a LAN port and connected to the MAC via ETH and managed to get to 192.168.1.1

First thing it asks is how you want to set up the router up blah blah balls and blah. You fill and click and eventually land on the page to set up your Wireless networks. Here you see the default wireless SSID of ASUS_48_2G with a pre-populated asterisked password........Oh let's click on the eye symbol to reveal what it is:

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 01.20.36.png

I then disconnected the LAN cable and connected to the wireless SSID (asus_48_2g) to see if the password worked. It did. I also tried the password with asus_48_5g. It worked.

Side note, Googling asuswifi0123 brings you back a couple of search results (one in Russian) but none of these sites were discussing what the default SSID password was. They had some router dumps pasted in which was this password. Anyways this may very well be the ONLY post in the world and indeed the internet that reveals what the DEFAULT SSID PASSWORD is for ASUS_48_2G and ASUS_48_5 networks.

AGAIN - ASUS SUCK MY BATTY HOLE!!! I hope this saves a lot of people a lot of pain.

Last edited:
[ rolls eyes... ] Glad you solved it. I'm quite sure that's not how my XT8s acted, so I wonder exactly how many models had this behavior. What model is it exactly, and what's the firmware version?

[ rolls eyes... ] Glad you solved it. I'm quite sure that's not how my XT8s acted, so I wonder exactly how many models had this behavior. What model is it exactly, and what's the firmware version?

Model number RT-AC88U
Firmware version - Merlin 386.12 (latest)

The default SSID after factory reset is open network, no password. I don't know what is this thread about. I have reset different Asus routers hundreds of times. Unless this is some sort of new firmware bug or reset issue with this specific hardware - not normal. The language used - not needed.

The default SSID after factory reset is open network, no password. I don't know what is this thread about. I have reset different Asus routers hundreds of times. Unless this is some sort of new firmware bug or reset issue with this specific hardware - not normal. The language used - not needed.

It is absolutely clear as day the AC88U was factory reset to default 6 times in different ways. This is evidenced with the screenshot above, which is clearly part of the router setup process AND it had a pre-populated password set.

Is this a firmware bug then? What's the other explanations for this?

This is evidenced with the screenshot above
That's not evidence. That page is part of QIS (Quick Internet Setup) accessible via the topmost button in the sidebar.
How would the WiFi be split when the setting is not split? According to what you have there in the settings both bands would have the same SSID ending _2G. How have you connected to _5G? You didn't. You just typed those settings in to help fabricate this nonsense.
If this was April fool's I'd be laughing - but it ain't.
Stop crying wolf, it's becoming annoying now.

Last edited:
What's the other explanations for this?

You have an old router. The hardware may be showing issues. This model is on End-of-Life list now. Look for replacement going further.