What's new

Gateway as DNS Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dahyippur

Occasional Visitor
Ran into something strange. I've set a static IP on a wired firestick (within FireOS) using the router's IP as DNS1, cloudflare as DNS2. With this config I'll have frequent issues with some apps, including plex. Most apps work fine regardless. Resetting the stick to auto and using dhcp works flawlessly. Its a subtle and nagging issue, but easy to reproduce.

Is this generally preferred over setting a static address on each device?
Is it ok to use the router to set addresses outside dhcp range? (says "around the DHCP list")
Was I not supposed to use the router's IP as a dns server in the first place?!

Last edited:
Ran into something strange. I've set a static IP on a wired firestick (within FireOS) using the router's IP as DNS1, cloudflare as DNS2. With this config I'll have frequent issues with some apps, including plex. Most apps work fine regardless. Resetting the stick to auto and assigning a static IP through lan - dhcp server in merlin works flawlessly. Its a subtle and nagging issue, but easy to reproduce.
What "issues" are you having?

Is this generally preferred over setting a static address on each device?
Personally I would recommend that the only devices that have their network interfaces statically configured are infrastructure devices that need to work independently of anything else, e.g. routers, servers, smart network switches, etc. Everything else should be centrally managed through DHCP.

Is it ok to use the router to set addresses outside dhcp range? (says "around the DHCP list")
There is no restriction on whether the addresses are inside or outside of the pool (the "around" message is just bad translation). I think there is a general assumption that IP addresses reserved through DHCP will still be inside the pool, and IP addresses that have been statically configured on a device's network interface will be outside.

Was I not supposed to use the router's IP as a dns server in the first place?!
Using the router as your DNS server is preferred because it provides local name resolution and caching.

What "issues" are you having?
Stuttering & freezing video
Personally I would recommend that the only devices that have their network interfaces statically configured are infrastructure devices that need to work independently of anything else, e.g. routers, servers, smart network switches, etc. Everything else should be centrally managed through DHCP.
I wasn't sure if most people set a static address on the device itself, or just use the router

Stuttering & freezing video
If the video is being streamed from the internet then use the router's default setup. i.e. DHCP clients use only the router for their DNS, and the router's WAN is configured to get its DNS automatically from the ISP.

I wasn't sure if most people set a static address on the device itself, or just use the router
"Most people" have no knowledge of networking whatsoever and will therefore be using the default DHCP/DNS configuration. Amazon wouldn't sell many FireSticks if their customers were required to perform custom network configuration.

"Most people" have no knowledge of networking whatsoever and will therefore be using the default DHCP/DNS configuration. Amazon wouldn't sell many FireSticks if their customers were required to perform custom network configuration.
I should have said knowledgeable peoples reading snbforums instead of most people, but I get your point. :D

I've been in the habit of assigning a static IP for nearly everything. Setting a static IP or even a DHCP reservation with any wired firestick immediately causes problem and leaves me puzzled

Some ISP may have routing issue with certain DNS server from not optimized/incorrect configured BGP community, plus though started promising, I do believe Cloudflare has some issue of their own... Maybe try a different 2nd DNS provider instead of Cloudflare for step of elimination?

Yep. I only manually assign routers, switches, AP's, and the like. Even servers like a home NAS or media server, I use DHCP reservations instead of manually configuring them on the server itself.

There is no restriction on whether the addresses are inside or outside of the pool (the "around" message is just bad translation). I think there is a general assumption that IP addresses reserved through DHCP will still be inside the pool, and IP addresses that have been statically configured on a device's network interface will be outside.

Yeah, most of these consumer routers will let you put DHCP reservations anywhere in the same subnet as the LAN interface. They could be inside or outside of the pool, it doesn't really matter. However, most enterprise IPAM solution require that DHCP reservations be reserved FROM the pool, meaning inside it. And you are correct, it would be assumed that manually configured IP addresses would be outside of the pool to prevent conflicts and admin issues.

I use DHCP reservations instead of manually configuring them on the server itself.
I like to do both. If the device has a static IP, then that is obviously used. If the device gets reset (FW update or some other reason) then then DHCP request (most devices these days default to dhcp) will result in the same IP as the static one being assigned, then I can easily go in and reset to static :)

I set everything through the router. Access points, switches and printers get low address reservations, going up while NAS & servers start high and work down with the DHCP pool in the middle. I'm sure I was taught this at some point in a long IT career although the DNS & DHCP server would almost certainly have been a Windows domain controller rather than a router.

@Snapshot that is interesting to think that over the course of the last few years I am doing it very similarly to you. And I have no formal training at all. It just seems like the right way to do it. :)