What's new

Set up dns

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jayz

Occasional Visitor
Hello ma'am/Sir

Nood question, Just asking if is possible to set up my router (ax5400) whenever devices connect to it and they manually configured their DNS they will not get any internet connection unless they set their "IP settings" on mobile phone or whatever devices to "automatic"

I am using adguardhome to filter ads/website and configured private dns to force devices to use my own dns, but when i change it manually to some devices my filtering gets bypassed so i am looking for way maybe you have suggestions. Thanks in advance happy new year.

Only if your router is TUF-AX5400 V1 model and you load GNUton's Asuswrt-Merlin fork on it. This firmware has DNS redirection (DNS Director). If you don't block DNS-over-HTTPS servers and iCloud Private Relay some devices will still go around your AdGuard Home filtering. No matter what you do mobile devices with mobile data access will go around your filtering with few clicks (if your intention is parental control).

Update: You perhaps already have this firmware installed and AdGuard Home configuration examples were posted in previous related threads including AdGuard Home run on the router and on a separate device. Use Search and you'll find the information you need.

Last edited:
Only if your router is TUF-AX5400 V1 model and you load GNUton's Asuswrt-Merlin fork on it. This firmware has DNS redirection (DNS Director). If you don't block DNS-over-HTTPS servers and iCloud Private Relay some devices will still go around your AdGuard Home filtering. No matter what you do mobile devices with mobile data access will go around your filtering with few clicks (if your intention is parental control).

Update: You perhaps already have this firmware installed and AdGuard Home configuration examples were posted in previous related threads including AdGuard Home run on the router and on a separate device. Use Search and you'll find the information you need.
Thanks for the information. and yes i have using the firmware where i was able to install adguardhome :). appreciate it.

Careful with what you install and what size blocklists you use. Your router has only 512MB RAM and most of it is taken by the system.

Careful with what you install and what size blocklists you use. Your router has only 512MB RAM and most of it is taken by the system.
Yes, thanks for the heads-up seems no issue for the past few months using AGH n my 512MB ram Router. :)

It's good when you know what are you doing. Some folks hit it with millions of entries blocklists and complain after it's not working well.

@Tech9 Can you confirm if this is correct configuration.

1. My DNS Director set to Router
1704214169325.png

1704214215653.png

Thanks in advance.

You run AdGuard Home on the router and LAN DNS settings must be router's LAN IP. You can leave the WAN DNS settings at default ISP. This is what the router itself will be using and will save you tons of WAN monitoring queries to Microsoft server in your AdGuard Home logs. I don't know how you setup AdGuard Home when you installed it. The Installer is asking what you want to redirect through AdGuard Home.

Yeah, My LAN DNS is my router LAN IP which is also the Adguardhome IP address. and in the installer is choose "redirect all DNS resolutions on your network through to AdGuardHome?" set to YES and Do you want to redirect only NON-CUSTOM DNS resolutions on your network through to AdGuardHome? [y/n]: NO.

In this case you don't have to specify the router's LAN IP. Leave LAN DNS settings at default with advertising router's IP as DNS server. DNS Director at Router is correct. To prevent DoH - add blocklist for known DoH servers and block iCloud Private Relay in AdGuard Home services settings.

Do you have a blocklist for this "To prevent DoH - add blocklist for known DoH servers and iClous Private Relay in AdGuard Home." it would be helpfull :) thanks in advance.